What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

19 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Received the pair of Osram D2S Nightbreakers ordered for a mere £38 all in from Amazon earlier in the week, good value spot posted by another member.  Hopefully I'll find time to fit them over the weekend and even find out how much discharge lamps deteriorate.

Aiming to get all the roof rubbers treated with Gummi Pflege too as there are some squeaks.

Got all the above fitted/done and also lithium greased all the door, bonnet, boot, hood hinges.

Found another cheap and quick Boxster job!  (makes 2 to date after the bonnet/boot struts) Changing D2S bulbs is even easier than H7s, no spring catch and difficult to pull electrical connector, just a bayonet on the connector and bayonet retaining ring.  Just need some darkness to test whether it has made a noticeable difference.  

Off to Silverstone Porsche tomorrow to collect new number plates and Classic Porsche Register number plate surrounds.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Got all the above fitted/done and also lithium greased all the door, bonnet, boot, hood hinges.

Found another cheap and quick Boxster job!  (makes 2 to date after the bonnet/boot struts) Changing D2S bulbs is even easier than H7s, no spring catch and difficult to pull electrical connector, just a bayonet on the connector and bayonet retaining ring.  Just need some darkness to test whether it has made a noticeable difference.  

Off to Silverstone Porsche tomorrow to collect new number plates and Classic Porsche Register number plate surrounds.

Post a picture when fitted 👍

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Have you got a link to the cheap d2s?

3 hours ago, edc said:

Have you got a link to the cheap d2s?

See below, it was on eBay not Amazon as I originally said so you probably couldn't find it....

OSRAM D2S NIGHT BREAKER LASER XENARC BULBS (x2) XENON HID 35W 66240XNL-HCB 4052899992894 | eBay

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

So new plates and Classic Porsche plinths fitted (Something for free from Porsche!), before/after pics below.  Surrounds may be a bit Marmite for some.  I might see if the front plate will mount a little higher to reduce blockage to the centre rad more in the 'Before' position.

Even with a detailed Gummi Pflege treatment of hood seals and door seals I still get a rubber squeaking when windows are fully shut when i driver  over rough surface or sharp bumps.  Any ideas??

Before:

LziveQ8.jpg 

After:

gbtR4Ev.jpg 

Rear after:

qK2cw85.jpg 

18 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Post a picture when fitted 👍

Not sure I can show much, most cameras auto compensate for light but I'll see what I can do.  Might even refit an old blub for you to give before and after.

• Like 1

240 mile round trip to MIL's today for lunch in the garden.  Less than 400 miles to go now before it hits 100,000 miles.

Also repositioned the new front number plate, much better now clear of centre rad duct IMO.

fyOevBW.jpg?1 

• Like 1

Productive fettling day.....Refitted the interior

Door handles re-painted in silver , Cubby cover and handle cover hydro dipped in carbon weave

y4mOel1NJksu-ixu8D_75RxM3gCsPKCK7vJ7-gb6

Centre console, including aircon controls in carbon weave and side switches in silver

y4mwWZfnD6rvvXs-_89Ys4T14U_osffcZnFtDMkv

Ashtray delete

y4m0hDkt3SxBltmbd_H0cO_COvj7ic8qMx7zhzVJ

Also fitted a new lock set , as I had a different key to the door compared with the ingition

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Where did you get the external sun visors from? 😉

That was the Cabrio Shield half cover folded up on the roof...

On 3/31/2021 at 1:25 PM, edc said:

Check the spare wheel is done up tight. Also lift up the scuttle covers and where the top mounts are adjusted from to check for anything left behind. 

OMG! You were correct, been looking for my rattle from my suspension and it was the wheel wing nut loose on the spare wheel 🤣

Washed it, then drove it to work. Some nice twistys, sun shining, Bob Seger  blasting out from the speakers.

Life felt really good for that half hour, and made me very happy to have bought my first Porsche. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

Washed it, then drove it to work. Some nice twistys, sun shining, Bob Seger  blasting out from the speakers.

Life felt really good for that half hour, and made me very happy to have bought my first Porsche. 😎

Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band, good choice.

• Thanks 1

In the process of doing my front suspension; today’s achievement was separating the O/S/F caliper from the knuckle.

Started on Sunday with the discovery of a very old tracker, that had an antenna wire that ran into the arch, cue the prompt to strip down the front end...

I too have a random box in my frunk adjacent to the battery with what looks like a small plastic FM antenna and a GPS antenna nearby. Debating whether to rip it out (according to the gumpf that can with the car it might be an RAC Trackstar). 

1 hour ago, Dazzevans said:

I too have a random box in my frunk adjacent to the battery with what looks like a small plastic FM antenna and a GPS antenna nearby. Debating whether to rip it out (according to the gumpf that can with the car it might be an RAC Trackstar). 

I removed a tracker system and a phone kit from mine when I swapped out the old head unit a couple of years ago.  Just take care where they may have spliced wires into the main loom and make sure you reinsulate them well.

• Like 1

Finally got round to having the OBC stalk fitted and the OBC enabled on my 2004 986 S.  Stalk cost me £50 off ebay and local Porsche indy charge me £120 (inc VAT) to do everything.

So after having a major service last month, new rear tyres last week, door leak fixed and the OBC sorted all that needs doing now is some cosmetic work on the bumper.

I just wish the weather was warmer so I could drive with the roof down.  I'm not one for having the roof down in the freezing cold and wearing a scarf and hat as if I'm driving a 1920's Bentley.

Out of winter lockdown for the first service & MOT since I bought my 986 this week. Apart from the brake pipes needing replacing all good. Back in next week for a new exhaust fitting as the silencer is starting to split...isn’t blowing yet but good excuse for slight upgrade. All ready for hopefully more mileage this year! 

Installed a rear speaker kit into the rear box today. I'll wire the speakers in tomorrow as it was spitting all day and I didn't want to get the inside wet with the roof in service position while I fiddle about with wiring. Also, it was too bloody cold.

Have to say the rear speaker kit I got from one of the guys on here is awesome. Fits perfectly and looks really good. Of course I had to take the car for a drive to make sure there are no rattles from the speaker grilles....

My car has the factory fitted amp and subwoofers so I'm hoping the wiring loom for the speakers extends to the rear. If not, then I'll run wires all the way - at least the ISO plug has dedicated wires for the rear speakers. Hoping to be very happy with the setup by tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1