What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Collected the 986 yesterday after a clutch, flywheel and IMS bearing upgrade. Also needed a couple of O2 sensors (pre Cat) to sort a misfire.

Car is on 94k miles.

Clutch plate down to rivets !

Flywheel, cream crackered.

IMS bearing was the EPS one.

Beautiful light clutch now and bites where it should, ie not at the top & no judder.

The three pronged plate that holds the IMS bearing in place was smeared with black silicone sealant ! Suspect previous owner had a slight leak from the bearing seal and bodged it with sealant.

RMS also replaced. 

Cleaned the soft touch finished in the interior and the steering wheel with baby wipes.  That trick really works.  Too the slipperiness off the steering wheel and whilst it doesn't hide the marks it really nicely cleans those mouldings like the centre console and the door bin covers.

Also met up with @Teo Fabi to recce the routes for next Sunday's East Mids meet and drive - see the Meets section if you want to join.  Nice blast round the roads of East Leicestershire and Rutland.

Went to visit my 2002 3.2S in my local garage where it has been having a 'light refresh' for the past month 🤨

Front struts now replaced, along with new top mounts, refurbed calipers, new pads, brake pins, anti squeal shims, etc

Gearbox now out and sat on the floor but going away this week for a check over whilst IMS, RMS, clutch all changed along with new rear struts, refurbed calipers, new discs and pads!!

Whoever said there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche was very much correct!! 🤣

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 999 WRC said:

Went to visit my 2002 3.2S in my local garage where it has been having a 'light refresh' for the past month 🤨

Front struts now replaced, along with new top mounts, refurbed calipers, new pads, brake pins, anti squeal shims, etc

Gearbox now out and sat on the floor but going away this week for a check over whilst IMS, RMS, clutch all changed along with new rear struts, refurbed calipers, new discs and pads!!

Whoever said there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche was very much correct!! 🤣

That's some refresh! The only thing light about it will be your wallet. 

Replaced an inner CV boot over the weekend, the job was much easier given the fact that I fitted Koni Special Active dampers recently so I knew everything would come apart.  Jobs are so much easier when there are no corroded bolts to deal with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, andy340r said:

Replaced an inner CV boot over the weekend, the job was much easier given the fact that I fitted Koni Special Active dampers recently so I knew everything would come apart.  Jobs are so much easier when there are no corroded bolts to deal with.

Oh so true! The shame is that you free them all up to do a once in 5+ years job and they'll be corroded again in 5+ years time!

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Oh so true! The shame is that you free them all up to do a once in 5+ years job and they'll be corroded again in 5+ years time!

Yep ... still have nightmares about the drop link hub bolts on my old Boxster 

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Unless lockdown continues on and off for the next 5yrs and you don’t get to use the car much then you might be ok.

21 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

^^^ this exactly , it'll save a lot of pain and expense at a later date 

Perfect - will absolutely do that as want to drive it rather than look at it once this is all done.  The only fortuitous thing at the moment is it wont stop raining so not too painful other than the effect on the wallet  🙄

Got my ‘03 2.7 MOT’d this afternoon, with a new set of Goodyear Asymmetric 5. The full set (18”) set me back £395 fitted, but it really does feel so much better. The previous PS2s were well past their best. Oil and filter ready for the weekend and then hopefully some better weather to enjoy a bit of use. 

Gave it a wash ready for the East Mids meet tomorrow.  Checked fluids and tyres pressures then found one of my metal dust caps has seized onto the valve stem thread....  time to book in to get a new valve but as other tyres are fine on pressure without adjustment and the car drives OK, all good for the moment, but top of to do list.  Also on a whim I checked the space saver pressure.  Good job I wasn't relying on it to get me out of trouble, only 0.85 bar, should be 4.2bar.  Prompted me to check the one in Mrs ½cwt's Golf - down at 2.85bar.  Both now correct.

Also taking if for a run tog et fuel for tomorrow got another pleasing odo/trip reading:

1H0pzJJ.jpg 

Edited by ½cwt

On 5/20/2021 at 12:17 AM, TomGW said:

Got my ‘03 2.7 MOT’d this afternoon, with a new set of Goodyear Asymmetric 5. The full set (18”) set me back £395 fitted, but it really does feel so much better. The previous PS2s were well past their best. Oil and filter ready for the weekend and then hopefully some better weather to enjoy a bit of use. 

That sounds a great price for those tyres. Might have take a wee drive over to Norn Irn when I need a new set. 😀

I investigated why my hood had snapped the o/s ball off the little slider thing yesterday. It was snapped when I got the car but I fitted another one which has gone pop within a couple of months.

I fitted another one and was watching the hood come up while sat face backwards in the drivers seat.

Something caught my eye. It was a slide with the ball snapped off, tight up against the drivers end of the rail.

So someone had fitted a new one at some point without removing the old one. I would guess this was putting a lot of stress on the new one when the hood was fully closed and causing them to snap.

Took it apart again, removed the old one then reassembled everything. Seems to be working fine now.

Then, in slight desperation I moulded some liquid metal putty around the joint in the PAS pipe where there is a slight weep of fluid.

I will be surprised if it seals it, but if it did it would save me removing the steering rack to get a new joint made in the pipe.

Will find out tomorrow if it worked, but Im not holding out much hope. 

Ive managed to stop the slight weep from the PAS pressure pipe using Tiger seal. Doubt it will be a permanent repair, but should see it through the MOT.

Then at some point  I can get the pipe off the car and sort it properly.

Then found a pool of water behind the drivers seat. Bugger !

Probably caused by the missing rain deflector on that side of the hood.

I bought a pattern one from Design 911, but no way can I make it fit properly, so will probably source a used genuine one.