What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

A TVR would do that in 5 years, not 25 years!

Well, I wouldn’t say five years. In reality, the only thing that rusts are the chassis!

They do make a lovely noise though. My 5.5 at Snetterton.

How tall are you guys? I am 6’2” and I don’t have my seat all the way back in my 987. Haven’t driven the 986 yet.

or is this a case of the seatback being reclined with arms outstretched a la Corsa style? ;)

Just now, phazed said:

How tall are you guys? I am 6’2” and I don’t have my seat all the way back in my 987. Haven’t driven the 986 yet.

or is this a case of the seatback being reclined with arms outstretched a la Corsa style? ;)

Also 6 2 or just shy

Perhaps longer legs - no idea just guessing

The 987 is a better seat so you will have less room in a 986

I do see some people sit more knees up

Again in a 987 this is more of an option as the steering wheel moves so can be made to avoid the knees better

In a 986 you can get interference with your knees especially on the clutch leg which is why some people prefer the console delete

I am going to try sitting more knees up and angled towards lay flat in the back like @Nobbie rather than back upright and legs straight forward or not bent in the knee how I do it currently

I’m 5’ 10” and feel squashed without the seat fully back, and I’m a bit older than 18, bro.

Sound-deadening audio pads wrapped around the bar behind the seats seem to have done the trick with the squeaking (but I still have a whine from the passenger seat arf arf)

Never ending job today (and from many other days) was trying to get the black hood free from mould and grime. On the 6th pass now and broke out the Surfex HD and threw away the useless Autoglym canvas roof cleaner/restorer kit. £34 was about £20 too much and simply doesn’t work. I think three more goes should do it but what a pain.

And then Storm Babet rolled in and I called it a day.

Night all.

Edited by kdh

3 hours ago, kdh said:

I’m 5’ 10” and feel squashed without the seat fully back, and I’m a bit older than 18, bro.

Sound-deadening audio pads wrapped around the bar behind the seats seem to have done the trick with the squeaking (but I still have a whine from the passenger seat arf arf)

Never ending job today (and from many other days) was trying to get the black hood free from mould and grime. On the 6th pass now and broke out the Surfex HD and threw away the useless Autoglym canvas roof cleaner/restorer kit. £34 was about £20 too much and simply doesn’t work. I think three more goes should do it but what a pain.

And then Storm Babet rolled in and I called it a day.

Night all.

If you are 5'10" and feel cramped, is the seat fully down?  I'm a short legged 5'8" and sit fairly upright with no issues.  Then again in a Boxster in proper trim i.e. roof down, headroom is no problem.

1 hour ago, kdh said:

Oh yes I see what you mean, not squashed headroom-wise at all. It’s the legs that feel a bit cramped, but with the seat fully back it’s fine now that the creaking has gone away!

Perhaps I sit quite forward as I also heel/toe so need to be a bit closer to the pedals.

22 minutes ago, ATM said:

Hero

Really not. As long as you have a decent pedal layout and can flex you ankle side to side it is pretty straight forward.  Remember is it inside to put side of foot, not literally heel and toe.  It takes a little time to get used to the amount of 'blip' between different cars, oh and don't try in in an auto ...

On 10/18/2023 at 10:49 AM, phazed said:

Put a 987 seat in,sit a bit lower

If you downshift at high rpm and let out the clutch you will get a big lurch as the clutch and engine attempt to match the speeds. The heel and toe smooth this out.

It's like trying to join a spinning playground roundabout. If you just jump on from a standstill you might o some damage but if you were to move at the same pace it's nice and easy. 

Quite simply, heel and toeing is the method used to raise the engine revs by blipping the throttle while down changing and braking at the same time. Imperative during track days/racing. If you change down at high revs you risk the rear wheels locking up and losing control. If you had three feet it wouldn’t be a problem!

Nice and smooth and very well behaved on the track etiquette.

I think the most famous heel and toe video is the split screen of Ayrton Senna in an NSX. 

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Quite simply, heel and toeing is the method used to raise the engine revs by blipping the throttle while down changing and braking at the same time. Imperative during track days/racing. If you change down at high revs you risk the rear wheels locking up and losing control. If you had three feet it wouldn’t be a problem!

I would really need to spend a LOT of time practicing that (in someone else's car) - I can see me getting that very wrong 🙂 

The beauty of the Boxster is that certainly in my 987, the pedals are placed in a perfect position. My uncle taught me how to heel and toe many, many years ago, when I was 17. He was an advanced driving instructor and thought it essential that I should know! It really is fairly simple and actually easier to master when driving fast on track as you have to push really hard on the brake and therefore the coordination when blipping the throttle isn’t necessary to be as balanced as you think as you are using the brake pedal to swivel on when pushing hard.

Nowadays they teach you to put it in neutral and coast to a stop pretty much! No changing down through the gears when coming up to a junction or traffic lights. All part of the younger generation growing up as fluck wits!

I speak from the experience of having four children and meeting many of their friends who pretty much haven’t got the ability to keep their car clean.

19 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

I read conflicting comments on heel & toe re letting the clutch out to blip the throttle before re-engaging clutch to move to next gear (which to my mid is double declutching)

Or do you blip the throttle whilst the clutch is disengaged?

You blip when your foot is down on the clutch. 

It's actually quite intuitive. A lot of especially modern cars have an electronic throttle cut so you can't break and throttle at the same time but Porsche in general don't. The other key aspect is the pedal positioning. Some cars have the pedals so far apart that it's impossible or maybe the accelerator is much higher than the break when the break is depressed.