What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Had the passenger door card off to check the waterproof membrane as I've had a minor but irritating cabin leak. It was fully sealed at the bottom,  r/h side and lower half of l/h side but a bit iffy elsewhere.  Looked like some telltale water marks on the top of the inside of door card so I've assumed some water has been getting in at the top of the membrane. It won't now as resealed.

Edited by Boxob

Looks nice Graham. Are they Porsche wheels? If so, what model?

Today I removed my steering wheel, airbag and all, to install a replacement set of switchgear.

Despite breaking a T27 cheapo torx in the process (don't understand how but there you go) it all went fairly swimmingly. Porsche do design stuff that you can actually take apart reasonably easily, which helps.

Reason for the work was a dodgy wiper switch action and no high beam lights. I got a replacement set (cruise, computer, wipers, lights) from the US for cheap. (Ebay and a pal in the US helped out)

Thanks to the various YouTube videos on the subject I felt fairly confident about the process, having only ever done it to old cars without airbags previously. 

Happy days, now for the many, many other things needing fixed.

2 hours ago, Red14 said:

Today I removed my steering wheel, airbag and all, to install a replacement set of switchgear.

Despite breaking a T27 cheapo torx in the process (don't understand how but there you go) it all went fairly swimmingly. Porsche do design stuff that you can actually take apart reasonably easily, which helps.

Reason for the work was a dodgy wiper switch action and no high beam lights. I got a replacement set (cruise, computer, wipers, lights) from the US for cheap. (Ebay and a pal in the US helped out)

Thanks to the various YouTube videos on the subject I felt fairly confident about the process, having only ever done it to old cars without airbags previously. 

Happy days, now for the many, many other things needing fixed.

Don't recall a T27 screws on any of the dash and wheel fixings when I stripped  mine to do the cruise retro fit or an any other interior bits. T15, T20, T25, T30, yes.

I wait to be corrected...

11 hours ago, phazed said:

Looks nice Graham. Are they Porsche wheels? If so, what model?

Hi Peter, they are genuine Porsche 17” BBS from an early 996 refurbished by Lepsoms and then never used. To be honest, a couple of them look like they have not been used much at all! 
yTc5IbV.jpg

This week I noticed a coolant smell in the cabin and had misty windows. The thought of replaying my Peugeot and BMW shenanigans to replace the heater matrix made me sad.

Today, I remembered I downloaded a set of official service manuals years ago and consulted them to see what I was in for  and became happy again. I love it when a manufacturer thinks rationally.

On 3/8/2024 at 6:45 PM, markjh said:

Isn't the later model glove box where the earlier model airbag is? It's been a while since I was in a later model 986, so I can't remember what they did with the passenger airbag to accommodate the glove box. 

Well, I have managed to fit the new dash. The mounting points for both the earlier and the later versions are the same so no worries there. However, the mounting points for the speedo binnacle on the new one are non-existent. Looks like someone just yanked off the speedo binnacle instead of properly removing the screws like any normal sane person would. 
This meant I had to make a plan to get it to fit securely. I've managed it but not entirely happy with the whole thing yet. I'll have a look and see what else I can do to make it more secure.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:00 PM, Boxob said:

They don't occupy the same space; the glove box is below the airbag but the later airbag could be a different shape.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364532506478

That is correct. Although mine didn't come with a glovebox so that's another thing I have to source :(

On 3/8/2024 at 6:27 PM, Boxob said:

My understanding is the newer dash can be fitted to the earlier model. It was done by someone on here @topradio ? I think you get cup holders too with the newer dash. 

The newer dash fits perfectly fine, and the airbag etc looks the same. And yes, this dash can accommodate cup holders (although I must say I am not too concerned about that). I think you would need a slightly different central vent housing etc. 

I still have work to do on the installation as I ran out of daylight and patience yesterday. The airbag still has to go in, the steering wheel, the vents on the sides, the light switch and ignition surround, the trim pieces next to the windscreen etc. 

Lots of little jobs but I'll get to it.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:52 PM, ½cwt said:

Don't recall a T27 screws on any of the dash and wheel fixings when I stripped  mine to do the cruise retro fit or an any other interior bits. T15, T20, T25, T30, yes.

I wait to be corrected...

The Torx screws behind the steering wheel that hold the airbag in place. I believe they are T27s (could be T25s)

Edited by RedBarediver

17 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

See if you can write some notes somewhere at the end of every day, so after you can put up a How To post? Might help a few others :) 

Good idea. To be fair there aren't really any gotchas as it were. Paul pointed me to a very good video on YouTube where the guy takes the whole dash apart and removes it from the car (Called Porsche DIY). The removal process is very clear.

He doesn't show the reinstallation process and it should just be a reversal of the removal process but there are a few things to watch out for (that alarm light in the centre of the dash right under the windscreen being one of them).  The process took me a long time because I was going slow and being very careful with the old plastics. I also had a whole bunch of crappy wiring to remove as well as yanking out and throwing away the absolutely awful digital antenna and hardwired connection for the dashcam that Halfords installed. They installed the antenna right by the drivers side on the windscreen (wtf??) and I installed a proper antenna on the left side of the windscreen. I have the same in my Alfa and it works great. With that Halfords antenna the radio never received anything.

You don't need to take the stalks off but be very slow and careful around them, tape the clock spring, keep the wheels dead straight when taking off the steering wheel and mark the position of the old steering wheel when you take it off (I didn't because mine was never dead straight in any case and if it's not 100% right I'll just redo the steering wheel), and so on.

• Like 2

Took the car for a second and third gear 10mile drive then dropped it off for its MoT. Passed 👍.

One advisory, slight exhaust leak. I asked where but examiner couldn't pin point it but explained that he had to rev it to get it through emissions which points to a leak. Lamda reading is on the limit. 

Just returned from a test drive after going for Gravity sports cats to go with my ToyoSport back box and manifolds.

Yes, noisier but how noisy, I don’t really know. Need to call down to Brands for a noise check sooner than later just in case I have to try and quieten it down…

Otherwise car is going well and I need to put some miles on it to make sure all is okay after all the work it has had. One thing is for sure, the roads and lanes in Surrey are effing awful! I don’t usually pay too much attention just pottering around in my high profile tyred old Rangie but with it’s stiffer suspension, it would be a nightmare to use it as a daily! 

ZMd2KB4.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Patt said:

10 miles is not nearly enough to get it warm enough for an MOT.

Might have been a bit more maybe 15miles?  All second and third gear. Smelt hot when I dropped it off but given the examiner had to rev it suggests it needed more. 

I've fallen into the same, even in the 981.  Needs to be fully up to temp both coolant and oil - after 15 miles of her singing soprano, it still took 15 mins at tick-over before he would even attempt to test her. 

Received an old engine mount. Cleaned up and fitted a power flex Road bush. Ready to fit when the weather is better and time permits. Got dead lucky as the mount I bought is 03 manufactured which matches my car. Old bush was in good shape and original as 02 manufactured. 🤙🏻

Box mount

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Received an old engine mount. Cleaned up and fitted a power flex Road bush. Ready to fit when the weather is better and time permits. Got dead lucky as the mount I bought is 03 manufactured which matches my car. Old bush was in good shape and original as 02 manufactured. 🤙🏻

Box mount

I fitted the same to mine a couple of months ago. Pretty easy job as long as you have access.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phazed said:

I fitted the same to mine a couple of months ago. Pretty easy job as long as you have access.

It will be on axle stands. Others say it is doable. See how we get on. That is why I bought a mount,so I could just swap out and not faff about pushing the old mount out. 🤙🏻

I swapped mine in about half an hour.

you will need to move the engine up and down a bit. Maybe a bottle jack and a piece of wood. You can then wiggle the new mount in. A selection of good tools makes the job easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phazed said:

Just returned from a test drive after going for Gravity sports cats to go with my ToyoSport back box and manifolds.

Yes, noisier but how noisy, I don’t really know. Need to call down to Brands for a noise check sooner than later just in case I have to try and quieten it down…

Otherwise car is going well and I need to put some miles on it to make sure all is okay after all the work it has had. One thing is for sure, the roads and lanes in Surrey are effing awful! I don’t usually pay too much attention just pottering around in my high profile tyred old Rangie but with it’s stiffer suspension, it would be a nightmare to use it as a daily! 

ZMd2KB4.jpeg

Did the cats make a difference to the performance?

Not sure. There is a note increase in power from 5.5 K RPM. Is that normal?

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Not sure. There is a note increase in power from 5.5 K RPM. Is that normal?

Yup normal as far as I'm aware in my face-lift 986 S.