Hold Function - PITA anyone else?

Happy Days

Took delivery of my 718 S on Saturday. Since then I have been gently rolling backwards and forwards into other traffic as the hold function only works on fairly steep inclines. Anyone else finding this? Our other car is a VW which has fantastic hold function - good shove on the pedal and it sits still until you tell it to do something. The 718 will not engage hold on a slight slope which means that you either have to brake or engage the handbrake. Why should this be?

Also the stop/start function cannot work in conjunction with the hold function. 

Is it just me or is this a pain in the ar*e? Otherwise it's such a fantastic car.

CBS

Not noticed it being a big problem on the 981 PDK. I wish I could permanently disable the auto stop/star function though. The console switch is starting to get shiny from being pushed on every journey.

Welcome to the forum. Please post some pics of your car as there aren't many 718 owners on here yet.

6 minutes ago, topradio said:

Not noticed it being a big problem on the 981 PDK. I wish I could permanently disable the auto stop/star function though. The console switch is starting to get shiny from being pushed on every journey.

Welcome to the forum. Please post some pics of your car as there aren't many 718 owners on here yet.

+1  I think it's just a matter of getting used to it and holding the car on the foot brake instead.

Regarding the stop/start button getting shiny, @topradio.  Simple fix: just hit the Sport button instead! ?

Just now, Daniel Joseph said:

+1  I think it's just a matter of getting used to it and holding the car on the foot brake instead.

Regarding the stop/start button getting shiny, @topradio.  Simple fix: just hit the Sport button instead! ?

That's true but I don't hit the sport button until the engine is warm. Also it switches on the PSE and I like to be a good neighbour and don't enable it in the local area ;)

5 hours ago, T24RES said:

The manual quotes the incline it caters for I believe. And it's only a temporary hold whilst moving from  brake to accelerator, rather than the ones on MB VW etc iirc

Yes 5%. Really? That's quite a steep incline. I'm constantly rolling backwards in traffic. 

2 hours ago, topradio said:

6EF6B2D3-F57E-4104-8700-300306160FA9.jpg

2 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

yes welcome...

Not had any issues with it on my manual....works a treat

Hmmm. Mine doesn't. Does yours roll backwards on a slight slope or is it only on big inclines? I'm really concerned that I'm going to hit someone either forward or backward. The dealer actually had to google how it worked so I have little confidence in their knowledge. As far as I know, it should hold on any slope but mine doesn't. I'm rather p*ssed off. Waited six months for something that doesn't work right. 

13 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Hmmm. Mine doesn't. Does yours roll backwards on a slight slope or is it only on big inclines? I'm really concerned that I'm going to hit someone either forward or backward. The dealer actually had to google how it worked so I have little confidence in their knowledge. As far as I know, it should hold on any slope but mine doesn't. I'm rather p*ssed off. Waited six months for something that doesn't work right. 

It works perfectly, it's not designed as a handbrake it's designed to help you pull away smoothly on a steep incline and that's what it does.

Assuming you don't get too peed off and sell the car, start a separate thread in Members Rides, shame to lose nice discussions about your car in this very specific thread.

(You went from a 986 to a 718? - that's a jump!)

In my manual 981 it only holds on when the car is in gear. Pop the car into neutral and it releases the hold. There is also a light on the dash in Green that lights up "Hold" when its activated so you can tell at a glance if its a steep enough incline

5 hours ago, T24RES said:

Did you mention if it has a stick or the faster PDK box? ?

It's a manual. 

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Assuming you don't get too peed off and sell the car, start a separate thread in Members Rides, shame to lose nice discussions about your car in this very specific thread.

(You went from a 986 to a 718? - that's a jump!)

It sure was. I only do about 5k a year. The 986 is 14 years old with 71k on the clock. It's for sale btw...???

2 hours ago, CMA said:

In my manual 981 it only holds on when the car is in gear. Pop the car into neutral and it releases the hold. There is also a light on the dash in Green that lights up "Hold" when its activated so you can tell at a glance if its a steep enough incline

Mine won't hold at all unless the incline is as steep as the fall in £ following the brexit vote ???.  It really has to be almost an alp before it engages. 

In gear, out of gear, nothing matters. The dealer doesn't know how it operates, seriously. 

5 hours ago, Greenman said:

It works perfectly, it's not designed as a handbrake it's designed to help you pull away smoothly on a steep incline and that's what it does.

The point is that mine doesn't work unless the hill is super steep. I know how hold function works, I have it in my other car. On the 718, it simply won't engage at all unless the hill is extreme. 

21 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Thats exactly what i did with in 2 seconds of getting in mine from day one....sports button always pressed lol :):) 

Lovely looking car! You'll have to wait until another 718 manual owner come in to compare :).

Have you considered the embarrassment of going back to the OPC to check whether the set up is ok.?

Archived