Condensation !

Spinjim

Anyone know how to get rid of it, 

i get loads on the inside of the window, it's proving to be a problem with it icing up when cold ?. Car is used daily and dry before I get to work. 

Thanks 

Jim

The short term solution is a bag of silica gel as sold in camping shops for caravans, but there may be a longer term issue, whether damp under carpets that you didn't know of, or cabin filters, leaking heaters or aircon, etc.

Similar issues, mine is bone dry yet I get condensation. I do have a gravel drive, not sure if that makes much difference, if I park at work on the hard standing overnight then the condensation isn't evident ?

30 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

The short term solution is a bag of silica gel as sold in camping shops for caravans, but there may be a longer term issue, whether damp under carpets that you didn't know of, or cabin filters, leaking heaters or aircon, etc.

Mines in a garage but I keep a couple of these in the car - one on each side...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AZZB5UY/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

With the leaves and all sorts of cr*p managing to get into the car (more so than you know) especially in the hood it's well worth getting your pollen filter out and giving it a right good clean out. I had to do this in my gf's car last winter and then parked it up with the windows slightly down to help dry it out and it's not done so since. 

Hope this helps. 

Bought some of the bags, designed for this from Halfords last year, about £10 each, and worked really well last year and appearing to do so this year. They get really soggy and then you are supposed to dry them out on the radiator which is why I have two and alternate them.

17 minutes ago, Toeside said:

Have you checked the door membrane seals are ok? Common problem on 987's 

I'm seeing this on so many car forums at the moment.  Usually with cars that are not used all the time, but the moisture certainly seems to be dropping out from the atmosphere at the moment.

8 hours ago, Araf said:

I'm seeing this on so many car forums at the moment.  Usually with cars that are not used all the time, but the moisture certainly seems to be dropping out from the atmosphere at the moment.

Common problem of moisture in the atmosphere up these parts also. ;) I here its even getting cold 'darn sarf' soon :o

2 hours ago, Toeside said:

Common problem of moisture in the atmosphere up these parts also. ;) I here its even getting cold 'darn sarf' soon :o

Yup.  Parky for the last couple of nights.  Our problem is that within a week we will have temperatures above 10 degC again, which makes using winter tyres a bit futile.  One year, I changed the M&S tyres at least half a dozen times, on one car.

Stick a bit of cat litter in a sock (say up to the ankle part) and leave that in the car.

Or

Clean your windows and do the last few minutes of your drive with the window open so you give the car a chance to equalise before you lock it up.

Asda  have moisture tubs.wife uses them in her fordstreet ka softtop that is parked outside . it catches loads of water . just put a new one in every 2 week or so.they cost next to nowt.

Something like a towel or underlay on the windscreen *should* prevent condensation on the inside of the window.

Sometimes it's not just about leaky door membranes, and just science.   Warm humid air contains water vapor which, upon contact with a cold surface, condensates (i.e. gas turns into liquid).  All it takes is a warm environment with a cold surface like a windscreen. 

Wet shoes, a humid day, or even the water vapour from your lungs can be enough to cause it.

It's important to have A/C working in the winter, as it 'dries' the air (well, sort of) which actually removes moisture from the inside of the car, rather than constantly absorbing and condensating it (like a warm heater does in the car)

34 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Always worth re proofing your roof as well. I did mine a couple of months ago and I get no condensation :)

It was also done before last winter. :) 

1 hour ago, That986 said:

On in a little tupperware tub somewhere in the footwell when you park up, works brilliant.

This also works with rice. My old Volvo had this issue and I used to leave some salt and rice in a plastic tub

On 12/2/2016 at 5:18 PM, cj225 said:

This also works with rice. My old Volvo had this issue and I used to leave some salt and rice in a plastic tub

Sure does.

I had a T25 camper a few years back and the condensation that can gather on the inside of one of those overnight is unreal. The cat litter definitely worked really well though, kept it down quite a lot. 

On 04/12/2016 at 8:16 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Those dehumidifier bags really do work far better than I expected.

Sorry just saw your username and wondered what finish you had on your business card? I do like the Eggshell. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Found the cause of the moisture, a very wet carpet. 

Cleared the rear drainage channels and dried out most of the carpet & foam. 

This should help 

Jim 

Archived