Climarepair Replacement Climate Switches

rowbos

Chaps I saw these on Facebook earlier today...

http://www.climarepair.com/porsche-replacement-switches-for-climate-unit-987-997/

Looks interesting as they do not seem to be available from anywhere else?

I may order a set as my buttons look slightly tatty which has always irritated me...

I have tried to touch mine in with Plasticote but they still don't look quite right.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pgk188 said:

I saw this as well, I'm on the climarepair mailing list. I wonder how tricky the buttons are to change......I also thought the price was a bit high.

Captive market!  Not sure how tricky but I may be tempted just because it's the only slightly shabby bit in my interior...

8 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Interesting that they are also selling 2016/2017 PCM2.1 maps.  Porsche themselves might be interested in those, as the latest maps Porsche offer are 2015.  Also very poor information on the firmware updates.....

I'm starting to doubt the potential quality of the products on offer...!

Also, there is this service  http://www.climaterepair.co.uk/index.html you can send away the climate repair unit and get switches refurbed. I like the guarantee that the backlighting works.  I think I'll use this lot when I have a window of opportunity when the car isn't in use (next holiday I think!)

On the Nav updates, I got a set from these guys, and they are perfect, and include the firmware updates too http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk/2016-porsche-pcm21-navigation-sat-nav-map-update-disc-259-p.asp bargain at £29.99 (granted they are 2016, but are pretty accurate).  After installing all worked ok, including partial postcode entry, which is close to useless, and in reality I revert to Google Maps/Apple Maps every time now anyway :) )

5 hours ago, Cubebike1 said:

I have ordered some of these so will feedback on what the quality is like. Having taken the switches out previously I can confirm that it is quite easy to do.

Yikes!  Just looked at the website again and they are listed at £129.74 now!!  What did you pay?  From memory they were about £80 I think...

Interested in your feedback once you have yours - are they identical to the existing switches/what the finish looks like etc.

Cheers,

Steve.

I emailed them and they told me the $99 price was for the first 100 buyers only!  I replied to ask if they could do me a set for $99 as I hadn't realised this limitation at the time.  Waiting for reply, I'm not paying £130 but don't mind £80 so much...

1 minute ago, Araf said:

Has anyone checked with Porsche, to see what they charge for them? :huh: 

Good point, no.  But I'm sure I read somewhere that the switches are not available separately, only as part of the integrated unit?

3 minutes ago, Cubebike1 said:

When I checked Porsche didn't do them separately, you have to buy the whole replacement unit.

I have paid £80, and will feedback on them once they arrive

Yes, sorry, I'm late to this party and realise that most of you with this problem have already asked yourself the questions I'm asking.  My old 2008 car didn't have the problem at all - I think that Porsche maybe found out, and changed how they painted them.  Likewise with the Gen2.  

Why they thought that using a rubberised paint would be a good idea, I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Araf said:

Okay.  How about this UK repair for £86 ?

http://www.climaterepair.co.uk/Buynow.html

Or you could probably DIY.  If you could make masks for the 'Temp' and fan symbols......

Yeah I have seen that, I like the idea of getting new switches and swapping out though, but I'm certainly not paying £130 for them!

Tried DIY, looks DIY (I'm not really the patient sort of fine work person to be honest).

If the other company comes back and will do for £80 I will order them and take a chance on quality, if not then I won't and will consider removing and sending off the complete unit to the UK guys.

1 minute ago, Araf said:

Yes, sorry, I'm late to this party and realise that most of you with this problem have already asked yourself the questions I'm asking.  My old 2008 car didn't have the problem at all - I think that Porsche maybe found out, and changed how they painted them.  Likewise with the Gen2.  

Why they thought that using a rubberised paint would be a good idea, I don't know.

Yes I believe they changed them a year or two after initial release so its only early cars that hit this issue.

2 hours ago, Araf said:

109.500 miles and shiny

switches_zpsqbsw22mw.jpg

Just now, Boxstercol said:

Putting the price up like that is a p*ss take if you ask me, they can't cost that much to manufacture!

Yep. Took me by surprise. They haven't responded to my email explaining that was a bit rich for me but I would consider $99. No way I will pay the increased price just out of principle. 

I had an email back last night saying there were a few more $99 sets available on the website so I thought I would take a chance and order a set, hoping for a positive result, we will see, paid by Paypal so should be reasonably protected, will report back on receipt!

If anyone else wants a set they are still showing available at $99...

• 1 month later...

Archived