Climarepair Replacement Climate Switches

rowbos

8 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't understand all this with Climate. I thought the whole idea of Climate was that you set it and never touch the switches again?

Ah, you might be onto something there.  My 987 wasn't a daily driver,  so not taken out in all weathers where you would adjust those controls to defog the windows quickly on an icy morning, for example.  I don't think I adjusted the climate much at all,  hence the controls were perfect when I sold it.  

That said, I think there is also an age related factor in the breakdown of those rubberised coatings. It happened to the rotary knobs on the CD-R 24 audio unit on mine (and a Roberts digital radio in the house) where the coating became soft and very sticky .  Fortunately the knobs are made of hard black plastic, so I was able to remove the rubberised coating and was left with smooth black plastic knobs,  which looked fine.

Unfortunately, the climate controls are made of white translucent plastic so the legends can be back-lit, so removing the coating completely is a non-starter.  Or is it?  Could the coating be removed and the controls sprayed with black Plasti-Kote or similar?  Instructions on how to remove them are on the website above.  Of course, you would lose the legends, but would that be a big problem?  Just a thought...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks the right colour, but £240 for, effectively, a pair of secondhand switches...?

Here's an alternative idea: earlier in this thread, @Rogers installed Climarepair replacements and was very happy with them.  If, by any chance, he held on to the originals. You (or somebody else who needs new ones) could get hold of these and send them off for refinishing by Climaterepair.  As Clarkson might say, "What could possibly go wrong?" 

I'll butt out now!

15 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I don't understand all this with Climate. I thought the whole idea of Climate was that you set it and never touch the switches again?

Maybe some just have A/C :unsure: 

7 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Ah, you might be onto something there.  My 987 wasn't a daily driver,  so not taken out in all weathers where you would adjust those controls to defog the windows quickly on an icy morning, for example.

No, you just hit the demister buttons. :) 

I never found Porsche climate to be any better than standard aircon. A pointless option imo. Always had to adjust, temperature never controlled particularly well and the fans always on too high. I messed about far less with boggo air con.

My opinion doesn't fix the buttons mind. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/4/2017 at 10:40 AM, Daniel Joseph said:

It looks the right colour, but £240 for, effectively, a pair of secondhand switches...?

Here's an alternative idea: earlier in this thread, @Rogers installed Climarepair replacements and was very happy with them.  If, by any chance, he held on to the originals. You (or somebody else who needs new ones) could get hold of these and send them off for refinishing by Climaterepair.  As Clarkson might say, "What could possibly go wrong?" 

I'll butt out now!

Hey sorry I just saw this post.

Yes I´m very happy with the new buttons I got from that website, they are holding up nice. They came out with a newer version(called V2) and from what I can see in their web site those are even better, but I´m good.

But for some reason I don´t feel like selling my old-worn-originals.

So they are now selling improved switches at a cheaper price?

Rogers, I am glad that yours were ok as mine were appalling, it would be interesting to see what the V2 ones are like but I will not be spending my money at this time trying to find out

19 minutes ago, Cubebike1 said:

So they are now selling improved switches at a cheaper price?

Rogers, I am glad that yours were ok as mine were appalling, it would be interesting to see what the V2 ones are like but I will not be spending my money at this time trying to find out

Mmm not sure if now they are cheaper... I paid around £77  and I´m very happy with the result, but new ones look even better.

Cheers

Rogers, they were over £80 when I bought mine so they are advertised cheaper now.

Where are you based as I would be very interested to see yours, as the ones I received where very poor quality and looked worse than the ones you have

4 hours ago, rowbos said:

What we need ahem, is one brave soul to buy some V2's and showcase them at Beaulieu for us :) ...

The new ones do look better on the website.

what you need to do is club together and buy a 3d printer and then print your own...

53 minutes ago, Cubebike1 said:

Rogers, they were over £80 when I bought mine so they are advertised cheaper now.

Where are you based as I would be very interested to see yours, as the ones I received where very poor quality and looked worse than the ones you have

Likewise :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2017 at 11:38 PM, Cubebike1 said:

Hi. Sorry I moved to France and did not pay much attention to the forum lately.

My boxster was sold to a guy from Brighton, nut sure if he still keeps it.

I found on my cell another picture I took while I was installing the switches

fullsizeoutput_26a4.jpg

Yours definitely look very bad. Mine were the "last version" available when I pulled the trigger. Hope that helps.

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Hi, anyone aware of any other options now , which still allow the the buttons to be illuminated ? 

Thanks

You need to buy the decals from @jnwright71 and follow his instructions on painting etc. BEFOREWBm9AoP.jpg

AFTERuySTGJG.jpg

Simples!

11 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Climarepair released a new version a few months ago which looks and feels 100% like the originals, they call it climarepair revolution.

At £116 i'd go with the decals and a couple of cans of paint! Very satisfying job too.

i was doing the refurb with the decals and had dipped one of my switches in thinners and got distracted by one of my neighbors ,(don't do that) anyway i ended up buying these switches and allow the finish is good they are very easliy marked and i bought mine about 3 months ago shipped from california

Archived