Launch Control - Anybody?

jason3.2s

Everyone has to give it a go once! :)

Like most, no doubt, gave it a go not long after getting the car.  Never bothered since!

And yep, I have no doubt it'll be logged - but it's a feature of the car, so as long as you're following the guidance in the manual then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I have resisted so far but I will be using it.

The porsche experience cars do hundreds with no ill effects. They are designed for it and you would do more damage in a manual from missing a gears whilst revving hard IMHO.

Have you seen this?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/tv/the-grand-tour-boys-discuss-the-most-pointless-invention-ever-created-on-a-car/

According to @Happy Days in the Silverstone thread Porsche say that :

The PDK clutch has a life time guarantee. Launch control use is not limited - use it any time (unlike some other manufacturers who put a limit on the number of times it can be used). Ferrari now use Porsche PDK boxes with there own software.

1 hour ago, tcornet said:

I've used mine about 5 times, typically to show the passenger what it does.

Same here.  I even was a bit afraid of using it, but now I read that it has life time guarantee I'll use it a bit more often....maybe...

Don't know, it's nice to have it but makes a lot of noise and I think the car accelerates almost as fast without it.

5 hours ago, jason3.2s said:

Anyone used the Launch Control feature on their own car or a loaner?

I am tempted to give it a go as its there to be used but wondered if its logged on the car if used?

Interested to hear thoughts on it.

Yes the car logs everything, the makes that i know do are BMW, Audi and Mercedes i'm sure that other makes do as well? I know this as i have a friend who is a death investigator and after a collision between and Audi and BMW , Audi released the data to the Police , so they knew speed, gear, brake pressure/force etc , BMW refused to release the data under data protection rules.

15 months and 17800 miles on I've never used it! Don't know where I could/would use it anyway.

I'm far too old for the traffic light Grand Prix, track day laps obviously don't start from a standing start and a launch control from the pit exit probably wouldn't go down too well with the circuit organisers!

I guess I should give it go, just a bit scared of looking like a .............. (please add expletive here!)

3 hours ago, topradio said:

Have you seen this?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/tv/the-grand-tour-boys-discuss-the-most-pointless-invention-ever-created-on-a-car/

According to @Happy Days in the Silverstone thread Porsche say that :

The PDK clutch has a life time guarantee. Launch control use is not limited - use it any time (unlike some other manufacturers who put a limit on the number of times it can be used). Ferrari now use Porsche PDK boxes with there own software.

That TGT link made me chuckle. I posted it a couple of weeks ago in a thread when someone mentioned launch control as I had just watched the show. 

LC has got to be good for a bit of childish fun.  I must admit to trying it on every loaner I have had in the past. 

If that are all the same

3 hours ago, Araf said:

Not used mine.  Read about it in the book and have already forgotten the sequence.

Select Sports Plus

left foot on brake pedal

right foot on accelerator, flat to the floor

take your foot off the brake

hold on for dear life :)

6 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

15 months and 17800 miles on I've never used it! Don't know where I could/would use it anyway.

I'm far too old for the traffic light Grand Prix, track day laps obviously don't start from a standing start and a launch control from the pit exit probably wouldn't go down too well with the circuit organisers!

I guess I should give it go, just a bit scared of looking like a .............. (please add expletive here!)

allways get the urge on M6 Toll at pay booth ???

6 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

If that are all the same

Select Sports Plus

left foot on brake pedal

right foot on accelerator, flat to the floor

take your foot off the brake

hold on for dear life :)

Is that for your private vehicle or the company one? ^_^ 

The Panamera Turbo was brutal on launch control;

with a few more ponies than standard, the only things that actually had it off the line at Vmax was the Tesla, and a 918;

Veyron, LaF, one:1 - nope ! 

upto around 30mph only, of course :)

it just hooked up the 4wd and shot off; I'm guessing R1's 4 wheel transport will be the same if not better

the launch in the GT3 is totally different; as evidenced by the GT video - much more shouty

Yep, 10 times today at the silverstone 718 experienceB)

It's certainly impressive, though depending on the grip may not give you quickest get away. Apparently in wet just mashing the accelerator my get you there quicker.

still can't see when or why I would use it on the road though.

Yep, the instructor I had last week at the PEC told me that. We were discussing the wear and tear on the cars that they have and what happens to them after they have finished with them. Apparently they are kept for a year and then auctioned off to the dealer network who then sell them on as ex demo vehicles. I reckoned that they would be fairly shot by then, but the instructor countered and maintained that apart from tyres, brakes and discs (which are all standard service items) that they were well maintained. I asked about clutches, and he advised that the PDK has a lifetime guarantee and that there were no limits on the number of launch controls that could be done. Interestingly, because I was driving a manual 718S last week, we didn't do any standing starts or braking tests on the straights. Probably because it was a manual, but everyone else looked like they were flat out on the old launch control starts. Nothing that really interests me TBH.

Archived