718 vs 981gts

718as

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lied weather was good, had mine out Saturday and Sunday......had the GTS out too lol. I think I'm getting used to the exhaust too much and want something louder.....IPE sounds awesome. 

Shocking review of the 718 Cayman by Chris Harris at the start of episode 7 of series 2 of the new Top Gear last Sunday.

Even more so if you watch extra gear (15 min in) when they discuss if the Audi TTRS engine should have been fitted to the 718. Harris confirms he would take a 981 GTS over both ;-)

Top Gear Series 24 Episode 7 - first feature 40s in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04xkhdf/top-gear-series-24-episode-7

Extra Gear - 15 min in.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04xkgdh/top-gear-extra-gear-series-2-episode-7

Test drove a TTRS when they first came out. Very quick ! Salesman was cramped in the back as me and Mrs in front. At 120mph (on a private section of the A3) the window started squeaking. He said calmly "Must get the workshop to look at that.". Nearly bought one but the trade in on the Merc was offensive but that`s Portsmouth Audi for you. Had 3 x A3`s for my Mrs and none came from there.

20 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Shocking review of the 718 Cayman by Chris Harris at the start of episode 7 of series 2 of the new Top Gear last Sunday.

Even more so if you watch extra gear (15 min in) when they discuss if the Audi TTRS engine should have been fitted to the 718. Harris confirms he would take a 981 GTS over both ;-)

Top Gear Series 24 Episode 7 - first feature 40s in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04xkhdf/top-gear-series-24-episode-7

Extra Gear - 15 min in.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04xkgdh/top-gear-extra-gear-series-2-episode-7

I wouldn't say it was shocking at all, in fact the ONLY thing he criticised was the engine sound, this is no surprise if you have seen other online reviewers of the 718 by him. He still said it was the best of its type for the money.

13 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I wouldn't say it was shocking at all, in fact the ONLY thing he criticised was the engine sound, this is no surprise if you have seen other online reviewers of the 718 by him. He still said it was the best of its type for the money.

I thought the 718 loaner I had and the ones I tried at Silverstone were awesome. A good step on from the 981. It is literally just the engine thats not as good aurally and arguably from a power delivery aspect. Still a massively capable and fast car though. Think Harris basically says the same.

Driving my own GTS and a manual 718S around Porsche's Silverstone Driving Experience Centre next week so I will be able to compare the two cars back to back....just like Chris Harris!

So will I come back and be so impressed with the Turbocharged 4 pot that my 718S order will be going in?

We shall see...!

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Driving my own GTS and a manual 718S around Porsche's Silverstone Driving Experience Centre next week so I will be able to compare the two cars back to back....just like Chris Harris!

So will I come back and be so impressed with the Turbocharged 4 pot that my 718S order will be going in?

We shall see...!

You will want to put your engine in the 718 S and have the perfect open top Sports Car :)

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

We shall see...!

You may well find you really like the 718S as in the Silverstone Experiance the engine sound is the least of your concerns (if you are anything like me), you are just too busy thinking about braking points and turn in lines etc etc,  the most important aspects of the car being the handling and braking feel. On those points I think the 718 will fair well against the GTS. But out on the open road it's a different matter. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you've been.

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

You may well find you really like the 718S as in the Silverstone Experiance the engine sound is the least of your concerns (if you are anything like me), you are just too busy thinking about braking points and turn in lines etc etc,  the most important aspects of the car being the handling and braking feel. On those points I think the 718 will fair well against the GTS. But out on the open road it's a different matter. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you've been.

Would agree - I tried various 718's at a Silverstone experience day and was impressed, but didn't really really notice the engine sound that much (although it was obviously different), but not a big issue as I had so much more to concentrate on.   My 981S (PDK, Sports Exhaust, Sports Chrono, PASM) is in for a service and I have a 718 (PDK, PASM, Sorts Chrono) as a loaner.  Even my wife who is about as non-car interested as is possible, commented even before we'd gone a few hundred meters, "this sounds different - I don't like it much", and with the roof up to me it seemed louder too (read intrusive)!     To drive I found the 718 feels quicker than my S, and the steering when pushed a bit on back rounds feels somehow even more engaged - and can't say I'd noticed that so much on the Silverstone drive as I did today on open roads.  The entertainment/electronics package is so much better too (Google maps, rear camera - way more up to date) - but it keeps coming back to that sound.  I'm really not sure that it would ever grow on me, and as tempting as the all round 718 package is (or better still the 718S) I just think I'd sorely miss the soundtrack I currently enjoy.   Maybe a proper sports exhaust on the 718 will liven things up - I probably need to test drive that before passing a final judgement.   As a step up from 987, or as a first Boxster I'm sure the 718 just perfect, but having tasted the 981S (in similar spec to GTS - but that wasn't available when I bought mine) I currently agree that it's left wanting, and so there's no temptation to update.  Now a GTS on the other hand might be a different matter - except however I try and spin my man maths, it really doesn't make sense :-(

Yep, I've always said to most perspective buyers the 718 is the better car and sounds fine. A limited number will know what the real difference is ie those that have driven the N/A 981 engine especially in GTS (or equivalent) guise.

I don't think you could ever replicate the sound of the 981 in the 718 as its as much induction as exhaust and you simply can't get that with forced induction no matter what exhaust you fit. The only car I've had as much fun with on induction noise was the M3 CSL, what a noise that makes but I think overall the sound of the 981 GTS is better. I still can't get over how much it makes me physically laugh after 2 months of driving it.

ps I've been spending a fair bit of time at OPC's lately speccing up a new Daily and I've been amazed how many pre build unsold 718's are sat in showrooms, usually its only one (they have to have at least one demo) but Glasgow had 5, all available for sale !

I remember my CSL fondly - cold air fed to a huge carbon air box.

You can get a lot of that intake noise back on a turbo car - make hard air pipes for intake and intercooler and obviously a free flow air filter. 

Even on my 986 the hard pipe intake makes a noticeable improvement to intake noise.

1 hour ago, Jonttt said:

ps I've been spending a fair bit of time at OPC's lately speccing up a new Daily and I've been amazed how many pre build unsold 718's are sat in showrooms, usually its only one (they have to have at least one demo) but Glasgow had 5, all available for sale !

I noticed this as well, so I asked the question why and was told that they just weren't in a rush to sell them as the waiting lists were so long (they were all priced above list in most cases)

How long they can afford to just have them sat there though I don't know. Two 718 cars have been sat at OPC Tewkesbury for at least 6 months that I know of.

I dont believe that the demand is actually as great as we are being told and its being artificially managed. Unless they are just having production issues and so dont really care. had heard that gearing up for new Electric car is delaying some models (doesnt sound very Porsche like though from a planning perspective) I guess if it keeps 981 demand and prices buoyant then they are having a good old time of it with the used market.

14 minutes ago, Leonard said:

they were all priced above list in most cases

Do you mean just above the list base price, or above the list price for that specification including extras? :o

32 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Do you mean just above the list base price, or above the list price for that specification including extras? :o

It was "price on application" and was told there would be a premium to take it home today rather than wait 12 months

That's pretty mad. I guess it just makes buying a conveniently already build car ready to drive away a privilege. When in reality as a demo with pre-selected options, they should be slightly under the retail for such an example! Artificially managed and hyped indeed.

1 minute ago, Jason986S said:

That's pretty mad. I guess it just makes buying a conveniently already build car ready to drive away a privilege. When in reality as a demo with pre-selected options, they should be slightly under the retail for such an example! Artificially managed and hyped indeed.

They are at least brand new in the showroom 'zero miles.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

They are at least brand new in the showroom 'zero miles.

Fair enough. I would still want them at a slight reduced premium over an exact spec' bespoke build. Even if I wouldn't have to wait 6 months to get it or whatever.

14 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It was "price on application" and was told there would be a premium to take it home today rather than wait 12 months

Wow I'm surprised as well that they are being so bullish about this. Clearly they know their business better than me but I would have thought they would prefer the cashflow from a sale now rather than hold out for the potential of a premium. It seems odd for Porsche to be flipping their own product. It might be an indication that sales really are strong.

And yes I would also want a discount for not being able to choose the exact spec; it's just what happened with my 981 which I bought in October 2015 (built but not registered), and I got a significant discount on that. The 718 was already rumoured but not officially announced by then, but even so I was surprised at the discount I got (first time in 3 purchases!). It played into my hands anyway as I specifically wanted a 981.

I presume that they at least haven't registered them yet as then they really would be depreciating - they don't need to if they're just sat in a showroom, though car manufacturers often want to register them to get the publicized number of registrations up (the usual reason for built cars sitting in a showroom).

They would have to have at least one registered as a demo, other will be pre registered. They are not allowed to sell new car above list, the ones I saw where all various specs but with plenty of options and all for list plus options. They also get penalised if cars sit around unsold too long ie they have to settle up with Porsche so it just loos to me like they are build slots that have been cancelled and they did not want to give them up so specced them themselves ? Just does not make sense to me other than they are strugglng to sell them. Would explain why people wanting their own spec are still having to wait.

ps they can sell "sale or return" pre reg cars or approved used at above list but not new unregistered cars.

2 weeks away and nothings changed and still trying to convince everyone or yourselves that the 718 will fail and the 981 is better?

Weren't quite a lot of gts 's pre registered and they only sold 400.I believe the dealers had a few 981,'s in stock after a year as well?

Does it really matter?  Surely everyone is happy with what they chosen after all this isn't piston heads is it?

I agree, but as you say it's not Pistonheads, so freedom to express opinions is important too!

Anyway, there is no "trying" or "convincing" necessary as the Flat 6 engine is superior whether in 986, 987, 981 or 911 - QED end of discussion! ?

My prediction is that before to long the flat 6 will be back in the Boxster, you wait and see!

Archived