Every day drive

runner

Morning all,

i have owned a 981S 3 years old now for one year done around 2.5 k this year in it predominantly summer time decent weather etc ... however part of me wonders if I wouldn't be better off doing away with my company car (and tax there on) and using it daily ... my concern is dints / dents when parking at work and obviously more mileage but also how it performs in wet / cold / damp environments and ice ?

other issue is don't feel I'm gettting enough tout of the ownership ... and England not exactly flooded with lovely weather days so end Oct / Nov the car could be SORN till next March ?

Any thoughts to share would be appreciated ... thanks in advance !

oh just for info ... it's a soft top ! 

Used my last Boxster every day all year for nearly 2 years absolutely no problem. Now in a 2015 GTS and same applies. Great daily driver, practical with 2 boots. Dents and dings ? try to park away from the numpties but unfortunately part of owning any car these days. Fine in wet and cold. No drafts and heated seats brilliant. Incidentally the GTS on daily commute round trip of 16 miles is more economical than the 2.7 !

For cold and ice, you can do like Stuart (IIRC) and buy a set of winter wheels and tyres from OPC, who I think even offer to store them and do the changeover. Without it's rather lary, with it is as sure-footed as in summer.

Just understand that your investment will guarantee warm winters for some years to come :)

Got my 981 in March 2016. Done almost 19k miles in it in those 18 months and I'll bet no more than 2k were done with the roof up. Doesn't have to be sunny for me to have the roof down, had many a funny look at the lights over winter in -2 deg and me with the roof down. Heater and heated seats make it a pleasant trip. Roof only goes up in rain.

I'll be out in the winter. I think it's the best time to really enjoy the open (ish) road on dry cold days. After a good run around the highlands you can stand back in wonder of how delightfully filthy your car is :lmaosmiley:

44 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

I'll be out in the winter. I think it's the best time to really enjoy the open (ish) road on dry cold days. After a good run around the highlands you can stand back in wonder of how delightfully filthy your car is :lmaosmiley:

Same here but not in the highlands! Rosy cheeks all day!

On 08/09/2017 at 5:33 AM, runner said:

You are posting on a Boxster forum lol.

my previous rag top used to be kept in garage through winter and only ventured out in the dry, having purchased this one last October, I found I was out and about all through the winter months. Having done a couple of trips to France, I've done just over 8k in 10 months, so I wouldn't have any worries about it being a daily driver, other than it always feels special being a toy and not a commuting car. I think our climate is great for ragtops, as said above, it doesn't have to be sunny ?

29 minutes ago, Forest said:

I think our climate is great for ragtops, as said above, it doesn't have to be sunny ?

This.

it seems somewhat of an irony that for many in hotter climates it's just too hot to have a convertible with the roof down and many prefer a nice airconned cabin.  Because we don't get that much nice weather in UK it makes those days all the more special when you can put the roof down and maximise the enjoyment.  Also as said above there is great joy (for me) in having the roof down on a crisp Spring/Autumn even Winter morning and feeling alive and connected to the drive rather than cocooned away (gloves and a beenie are your friend).

59 minutes ago, Greenman said:

This.

it seems somewhat of an irony that for many in hotter climates it's just too hot to have a convertible with the roof down and many prefer a nice airconned cabin.  Because we don't get that much nice weather in UK it makes those days all the more special when you can put the roof down and maximise the enjoyment.  Also as said above there is great joy (for me) in having the roof down on a crisp Spring/Autumn even Winter morning and feeling alive and connected to the drive rather than cocooned away (gloves and a beenie are your friend).

/\ THIS :)

• 1 month later...

Currently doing a time out in Spain for a few months with my 981 s. You are quite right, top down during the day  in summer is a no no, far too hot. Early mornings and late evenings are perfect. The UK in winter, bright sunshine, cold,  heater on - nothing beats it.

On 08/09/2017 at 5:33 AM, runner said:

Morning all,

i have owned a 981S 3 years old now for one year done around 2.5 k this year in it predominantly summer time decent weather etc ... however part of me wonders if I wouldn't be better off doing away with my company car (and tax there on) and using it daily ... my concern is dints / dents when parking at work and obviously more mileage but also how it performs in wet / cold / damp environments and ice ?

other issue is don't feel I'm gettting enough tout of the ownership ... and England not exactly flooded with lovely weather days so end Oct / Nov the car could be SORN till next March ?

An alternative approach which I've used whilst having company cars for 6 years or so but more recently come out is to have the company car as your daily/practical and have an older Boxster which you can then turn more focussed. This will free up lots of cash and you may drive better 'value'.

If using the 981 all year round then just get winter tyres.

No brainer for me I handed back my company car around 6 years ago and take the car allowance.I'm happy in the fact knowing that my company now pay towards a car that i want, also get 47p a mile when on business. As an every day the car is great although haven't used throughout the winter yet.At the moment the missus uses it the most daily. Unfortunately car park dings are the norm these days, i have already had the wing mirror hit, luckily i got their number. A car is to be used, you are losing money anyway so why not use it.

On 8 September 2017 at 5:33 AM, runner said:

Morning all,

Handing back your company car means presumably you would get a car allowance of some sort to run your own car.

View this allowance and tax saving as a fund to correct any dents etc your Boxster may suffer in daily use. Put some Winter tyres on the Boxster for Winter use and it will be fine.

I sold my 981 GTS as I felt it wasn't getting enough use compared to its value and bought a 987S instead,  which now gets used at every opportunity as its not viewed as too "precious" but rather as a tool to be driven!

As others have said, top down driving should be done whenever it is dry, if not you may as well buy a Cayman or 911.

Hope these musings help in some way!

I know it's not in the same league but i drive my 986 daily, beats having smelly armpits in your face on the tube for one. :lol:

The only con about it is that when you go for a drive at the weekend it doesn't feel that special as to when i didn't use it daily if that makes sense. But the car gets used and if any niggles occur it's not while i'm travelling across Europe so they can get sorted straight away. 

A car is built to be driven, go for it. if you're worried about stone chips etc get PPF installed or wrap the car. Same with the wheels, get some cheaper ones you don't care too much about for if you catch them. And definitely roof down at every opportunity. 

I think winter wheels & tyres are a good recommendation, although I ran my Cayman on the 20" Carrera Classics and standard tyres all last winter, it wasn't an issue, a few tail wiggles around a roundabout if I overdid it..!

• 3 weeks later...

We have used our 981 as an everyday car for 18 months without issue.  Generally not long commutes (hence the sub-10k mileage still) but still very much a car used every day by either myself or my wife.

The arrival of our first child meant that we had to fork out c.£600 for a retro-fit of the isofix and airbag deactivation - but with that its been a great second car.  Either I have used it for work - or my wife uses it with the little one.  With a small pram (Babylon) that fits in the rear boot, it leaves the front free for shopping etc and is arguable as practical as a fiesta etc.

Peoples faces when you park in the parent and child outside the supermarket - initial look that says they are thinking "just because you have a nice car doesn't entitle you to use large spots near the door" fades to disbelief and smiles when you pop a pram out and a baby!

Ran my 986S all year round but found the larger 996 size tyres didn't like the heavy rain or ice n snow. With our cars being mid engine, there was no warning to sideway moments.

i bought my first set of winters and was converted. The extra grip is very noticeable in all our winter conditions. Laws of physics still apply- you can't expect them to stop instantly on snow, but they do encourage fun driving and really put your mind at ease. 

Live just joined the 981 club.  I hope to pick up a set of winters for her next week.

if you are not doing lots of work miles, and the company hack is more a perk, then I'd say take the cash. If you are worried about miles etc, perhaps do as others have and lessen the financial impact and buy a slightly older/cheaper Boxster

• 3 weeks later...

I can't talk with any real authority as I've only done 20k over 4.6 years , but I will say that given the fantastic fuel economy of the 981 with PDK (mine's the 2.7 and easily gets 35 mpg on longer runs) I would say daily driving would be fine.

Parking dinks however, are a continued source of paranoia and I've not slackened off in this regard even after 4.5 years!

I do have winter tyres also, but I haven't bothered to put them on this year. I'm probably going to sell them since on the South Coast snow is not physically possible it seems these days. But you can bet of course that the day after I flog them there will be an 8 inch drift against the garage door.

Archived