Willie's new 981!

Duffy3074

IMG_0346%20Edited_zpshzej2pfd.jpg

Which was CPS' old one (Or Mrs CPS to be precise!)

Picked up by yours truly on Saturday morning, good drive home tempered only by the bloody roadworks on the M6, a bit of sideways rain and one moron in a Volvo with a deathwish but that's a by the by. 

Spec

Leather everything. 

Seats that go every which way, blow cold air up your derriere and warm them up afterwards, the memory function includes mirrors and steering wheel and there's a 'fat american' setting that pulls the seats right back and the wheel right up to allow you to get out. 

Total opening and closure from the remote key (including the roof) which is excellent.

PCM including the phone, sat nav and Bose options (which is really, really good)

PASM

Sport and Sport Chrono

PTV (which is much more effective than I thought it'd be)

Dual zone climate (which is less effective than I thought it'd be) 

PSE (complete with much more snap crackle and pop than my 987.2)

PDK, much, much quicker and smoother than the 987.2 albeit I don't like the whole over run and re-engaging of drive thing complete with stop/start

Cruise control.

Sport steering wheel with proper paddles. 

The LCD display on the right hand dial - very nice thank you.

Auto lights, wipers, auto dimming mirror, auto fold mirrors, black headlamps, PDLS and interior light package. 

The black gloss wheels are nicer in the flesh than I expected

The stupid mesh wind deflector, which is opaque enough to let you see that there's a large German saloon tailgating you but not enough to tell whether it's unmarked and being driven by one of our finest tragic officers.............

Impressions

Interior quality is now on  par with the better Audi's, it's no better or worse than my wife's 4 year old A6 Avant Sportline. Interior noise, especially with the roof up, is much less intrusive. 

Bottom end grunt feels (strangely) less pronounced than the 987.2.

The sound is just absolutely, terrifically, awesome (running out of superlatives)  718??? Don't think so. 

The front of the car, especially the shape of the lamp and wings is just beautiful, preferred the shape of the 987.2 at the back, the 981 sides/vents are epic. 

Can't really comment on the handling as I was very mindful that it's not my car so wasn't pushing it at all on that front, however it felt very composed and together, steering feel is, at best, average, it doesn't communicate through the wheel in any meaningful way but it turns in as you'd expect and it really, really puts the power down. 

A nice car and one which I'll be looking after out with what it needs from an OPC to keep the warranty up. 

I get the occasional shot as well as first option when Willie's had enough. 

:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty :) 

"preferred the shape of the 987.2 at the back" - has anyone yet worked out if one can put the back of a 718 onto a 981? To get rid of those funny winged rear lights? Or is it like 987.1 and .2 where they altered it slightly?

Yeah it's just a bit........confused? 

The 987.2 really flowed at the back, this is form over function over good looks......to my eye anyway!

c2d81338-c860-4915-b488-a521d22fb10b_zps

DSC_0011%201_zpsz9y8no0g.jpg

Oh yeah, the sport chrono wart on the dash in now a clock that resets itself every time you turn the ignition on, it was a  bloody eyesore on the 987.2, it's now a moving bloody eye sore on the 981.

Argghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Stuart21UK said:

I prefer the 981 back end to both the 718 and the 987....

It's definitely one is those 'beholder' things. 

Yeh backend of 981 is miles better than 987 IMO, that lights - spoiler line is pure genius, and no more snide remarks about not knowing the front from the back:D  overall there's very little on the look/design of the 981 that I would change, they completely nailed it IMO.

Great spec ;-)

ps how did you let the auto stop / rev cruise modes kick in enough to annoy you ? Just put the thing in sport mode as soon as you turn on the ignition lol (that turns both of those "features" off )

Thanks guys

A proper detail and some painting of disc hubs, cleaning and sealing of wheels and paintwork is on the list of things to do for later this month, I'll pop some decent photo's up then

By the time you add the extras on you were firmly into 911 territory on the price. 

Somebody with lots of money bought it new methinks.

Damn decent of him/her 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived