what to do ???? 986 v 987

niceone

i have the chance to buy a well looked after 2001.. 986 with new clutch and ims bearing  at 70k new tyers x2 for £5000 

or a 2006....  987  for £7000 same clutch 

both have been serviced to date the 986 has done 75k the 987 82 k miles 

i was after a 986 but now ???? 

Its all about the condition and how much therein you are willing to spend. At that age and mileage there are plenty of items that will be in the replacement window from rads, condensers, brakes, water pump, coolant pipes for 987. If you haven't already then read some running reports here to get an idea of the sort and cost of things that need replacing. 

Are they both 2.7?

I'm not qualified to talk about the 987 but I've had a 2.7 986 nearly 10 years now. It was my daily driver for the first 4 years of ownership but for the last 6 it has been my weekend car.  It's such a great car, you certainly won't be disappointed if you go that route. 

Lack of traction control just means remembering not to put your foot down on a wet bend.

How well does each one fit you?

How much would you like to have 2k in your pocket for fixes when needed?

Whose IMS? Why was it done? (There is preventative - a plus.  And required by a failure - a big minus.)

What records on each?

Someone expert and independent of the seller to do a thorough PPI?

hi the guy still has the old ims its got no issues a real anorak on Porsche its all been done selling because he has another porsche recently  and most of all is  a genuine man ....oh also both are  not advertised at the moment so i have thinking time

the bit that i do like on the 987 is the traction control   

hi the guy still has the old ims its got no issues a real anorak on Porsche its all been done selling because he has another porsche recently  and most of all is  a genuine man ....oh also both are  not advertised at the moment so i have thinking time

the bit that i do like on the 987 is the traction control   

i put both TO we buy any car .co          VALUE OF 986 £3500 

VALUE OF 987 ^£6878

Forget trade 'buy' values....

Like-for-like you have identified the opportunity to get in to a £5k 986 or £9k 987 (£7k now and £2k eventually).

Drive both and decide which offers YOU the best value. NB. Only YOU can decide....

Good luck & HNY.

Cheers, Baggers.

It does come down to condition and what maintenance has been carried out. FSH are great but it is the additional maintenance that can make a big difference.

If condition wise and service/maintenance is very similar go for the 987. Ive currently got a 987 and changed from a 986, they are both great cars but I feel the 987 is slightly better but I am biased ?

Parts are slightly dearer for the 987 but only marginally and it tends to be the suspension,air con that tends to need attention. The price of the parts for these jobs on both cars is almost the same ?

Good luck and you won't go wrong with either the 986 or 987?

Like many on here, I've had a 986 & a 987.

My brother has a 986 & my father has just bought an early 986.

Personally I prefer the interior of the 986, however there is definately more room on the interior of the 987.

I'd happily have either, but if your over 6ft then you may find the cabin of the 987 a more comfy place to be, especally if the 986 has sports seats as these reduce space further still.

As others have said, buy on condition with evidence of the car being looked after. Otherwise be prepared to sink funds in. These can be expensive to get up straight.

Good luck & don't forget to post pics when you acquire one! ? 

The 986 certainly isn't expensive if it is in good condition and well maintained, I paid £6k for mine 18 months  agoi (dealer), it had good bodywork, new softtop with glass rear window, new clutch and good tyres, new coil packs and a new MOT. However, it still cost another £2k immediately for new suspension and more since for personal changes, this isn't an unusual story if you read through various threads on this forum. So if that one is £5k and needs nothing it isn't expensive, that won't be the case however, personally to get one in the colour and condition that I would want. I would still budget for £4-£5k and allow another £2k if you want her running really well.

Having never owned a 987 I won't comment.

If you intend to drive the car mainly in UK not such an issue. If you intend to go European touring anytime from late spring to early Autumn where it can get very hot, I would say aircon is highly desirable to get maximum enjoyment from the car - hood up or down. Aircon not standard on 986, many have it though. Standard on 987.

10 hours ago, niceone said:

im a bit in turmoil 

If you are in turmoil now wait till you actually get one. Only then do the real symptoms of Porsche Paranoia show :D

Archived