Are we tyre snobs?

Freeman

12 hours ago, Freeman said:

EXY

Not really as I gave them a list of what I want to do, some of the items were not required  yet I wanted them done. I asked them to check the car and advice what they find. Their list was very short. This is my way of dealing with people, it is based on trust and respect, to date, only one person let me down. Any business that worked hard for its reputation will not cheat you and risk its reputation for small money. 

Fair enough but your previous post read a little different to me.

Also I do like to give the local guy my money where possible and when anyone starts up they won't have any reputation.

Find a company you trust and stick with them, makes sense to me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Araf said:

How do you know? :huh: 

I won't unless:

1. there is a Michelin on each corner.

2. We swop cars and then compare notes ?.

I can only compare to past experience including driving rental cars (Saab, BMW, Merc, Volvo) on the German motorways at silly mph. I don't think that any of the cars were fitted with Michelins. 

9 hours ago, Freeman said:

I won't unless:

1. there is a Michelin on each corner.

2. We swop cars and then compare notes ?.

I can only compare to past experience including driving rental cars (Saab, BMW, Merc, Volvo) on the German motorways at silly mph. I don't think that any of the cars were fitted with Michelins. 

Exactly my thoughts.  Driving rental cars at silly speeds on German motorways doesn't teach a lot though - unless you get a catastrophic failure.

• 3 weeks later...

pquadro

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

This link brings to mind another question. How valid and reliable are these reviews? The reason?

The test in the link provided by you in your post above claims that the Goodyears require extra 70cm to bring a car to a stop when compered to the Michelins while the link that I have posted earlier (another test,  https://www.carthrottle.com/post/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s-review-the-new-top-dog-of-the-tyre-world/ ) says:

According to German independent tester TUV, PS 4 S-shod test cars pulled to a stop 2.41 metres sooner than the worst performing boots, the Bridgestone Potenza S001. In many cases, that could be the difference between hitting something/someone and not, although it’s worth pointing out the Goodyears were only 10cm behind."

If to be honest, other then knowing that the Mich are the best I don't know what is right and what is wrong and how much commercial interests are influencing the tests results.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, Freeman said:

pquadro

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

This link brings to mind another question. How valid and reliable are these reviews? The reason?

The test in the link provided by you in your post above claims that the Goodyears require extra 70cm to bring a car to a stop when compered to the Michelins while the link that I have posted earlier (another test,  https://www.carthrottle.com/post/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s-review-the-new-top-dog-of-the-tyre-world/ ) says:

According to German independent tester TUV, PS 4 S-shod test cars pulled to a stop 2.41 metres sooner than the worst performing boots, the Bridgestone Potenza S001. In many cases, that could be the difference between hitting something/someone and not, although it’s worth pointing out the Goodyears were only 10cm behind."

If to be honest, other then knowing that the Mich are the best I don't know what is right and what is wrong and how much commercial interests are influencing the tests results.

I too went with the Yoko advan on ex 986s and best bang for the buck imo

The cayman now has potenzas but will put on Arvans as soon as need changing

Front Contis thin enough to be replaced now, looking around Michelin PS4's appear to be available at around £135 each, this will make it Michis all around.

I have long preferred Michelins, for a couple of decades on various cars, there's no accounting why I like them, round, black, stick to the road, coming from a 7 series with 20inch wheels 18's do seem a lot cheaper :-)

Finer points of N or S are of interest but not a deal breaker, yes they may be latest greatest but it's a 12yr old car, logically tyre tech might have moved on a bit from day 1 as the car rolled off production.

I'm a tyre snob, no problem with it, tried all sorts over the years and I can tell the difference, so can justify it, I find Michelin  the best for my needs.

I'm looking for two rears at the moment, prices seem to have gone up over the last year.

I paid £157 for a Michelin PS2 not so long ago, now I'm looking at £200 each

Anyone know of any good offers?

55 minutes ago, toplad said:

I'm a tyre snob, no problem with it, tried all sorts over the years and I can tell the difference, so can justify it, I find Michelin  the best for my needs.

I'm looking for two rears at the moment, prices seem to have gone up over the last year.

I paid £157 for a Michelin PS2 not so long ago, now I'm looking at £200 each

Anyone know of any good offers?

Google Michelin tyre offers ;-)

However mytyres show PS2's(n) at £182, Ps4;s £183

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p_=&m_s=3&suchen=Search+for+tyres&cart_id=x50x2sayzHBwjy7D.110.587855041&x_tyre_for=&dsco=110&with_bootstrap_flag=1&search_tool=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&ist_hybris_orig=&tyre_for=&s_p=&sowigan=So&Breite=265&Quer=35&Felge=18&Speed=&Load=&Marke=Michelin&kategorie=&filter_preis_von=&filter_preis_bis=&homologation

Went into Just Tyres Oxford road, Reading, had none in stock but talked to one of the guys in there when I said I'd seen them for a good price on their central website, he said order via website and give him a call in the morning and he'll chase them up, 235 40 R18 95Y MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4  x 2 for £265.94, call it £266. £133 each, oh and some sort of Michelin emergency phone charger as a freeby :-)  Like a free phone charger is going make a difference.. 

So that's fronts, just got back from Northway, very impressed... but  will update Tiptronic thread..

Archived