Turbo Lag?

Graham W

I keep seeing comments around the web about the 718 "turbo lag".  I have a newish 718 s which has the variable vanes on the turbo and for the life of me I can't detect any lag.  What am I missing or is this another of those urban myths from those with the flat six engines?

Its an UM those cars are quicker than a a quick thing from planet Fast!

The 6 sounds and drives great but from a handling and suspension point of view the 718 is quicker and sharper............. that coming from a 981S owner. 

I still love the Black Pearl though.? I enjoyed the run out today and so did the 'Pearl'

I hadn't experienced it either until I went on a eurohoon, I was driving these 2nd gear uphill switch back roads in Switzerland. I had it in sports mode first and there was definitely lag before the turbo would spool up, sports plus was much better but I still found a very small lag. My cars is Pdk if that makes any difference. 

1 hour ago, Gee-money said:

I hadn't experienced it either until I went on a eurohoon, I was driving these 2nd gear uphill switch back roads in Switzerland. I had it in sports mode first and there was definitely lag before the turbo would spool up, sports plus was much better but I still found a very small lag. My cars is Pdk if that makes any difference. 

Well I definitely think the delivery of revs is similar to the 981 which gets going at 4000 rpm so maybe that is the 718 exhibiting a similar characteristic? Maybe they designed it to give a similar driver feeling?

That said its weird to have felt it in 2nd gear...more likely in 3rd or 4th...maybe the uphill + low speed + low revs ?

I guess it depends what you are used to driving, but there is no doubt that the 718 does have turbo lag, and it can be measured and I believe has been in at least one motoring Chanel. Even the new 911 has significant measurable lag (though is somewhat better than the 718 in this respect).  

Having said the above you can easily mitigate this with your driving style,  and once the turbos are spooled up the lag is minimal and probably only a problem to those trying to adjust the handling on the throttle. 

I thought it was shocking for lag unless you pressed the sports button - then it drove like a NA car.

Turbo lag is effectively the time taken to fill the intercoolers and all pipework with air to then start the pressure bit working via the turbo.

Porsche do a quite trick 'anti-lag' system with the button pressed,  it's called Porsche Dynamic Boost Control. 

Basically when off the throttle it wont fully close the throttle body, but does cut the fuel.  Thus it fills up the engine and pipes with air, removing a lot of the "lag"

I only learnt about this system a couple of weeks ago, like you it totally explained the dramatic difference between normal and sports or sports plus modes.

I had to remember to rotate the knob every time I started the car, then turn off the start stop - then begin my journey.  (2ltr 718)

Interesting replies especially from those listing 981/s drives?  

The 718 has two different turbos fitted to each model with the "s" getting a "variable Vanes" type turbo as fitted to the newer 911 models which to my mind seems to eliminate (that is I can't detect a lag) any lack of throttle response and I guess this coupled to a larger engine size helps?  Perhaps other "s" owners could comment?

5 hours ago, Graham W said:

The 718 has two different turbos fitted to each model with the "s" getting a "variable Vanes" type turbo as fitted to the newer 911 models which to my mind seems to eliminate (that is I can't detect a lag) any lack of throttle response and I guess this coupled to a larger engine size helps?  Perhaps other "s" owners could comment?

The variable vains should help, giving it less inertia when at low revs to spin up quick but still allowing for large air movement. It’s almost like having a twin turbo with a smaller and larger turbo. However even in this case lag is by no means eliminated.

e.g see this motor trend review of the 991.2  watch the section from 5-8 mins

16 hours ago, Graham W said:

Most of us get a 718 when our cars go back in for warranty work etc. In my case I had one for 5 weeks, so plenty of time to get to know it.

Archived