Got a 718s as a loaner - impressive car.

Paul P

Hey all you 718 drivers.  My 987.2 is into OPC for some stuff. I got a 718s with about 900miles on the clock as a loan car. 

Lots of toys and reallly nice to drive.  Feels much more nimble than my car and it rides really well (pasm and 20inch wheels). 

I forgot all about the “sound” after a mile. I certainly would have no problem getting used to how it sounds.  

Nice piece of kit you all have.  

Might be next target (I was starting to think about a 981 but....... ) few years away yet but definitely a great car. 

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

My 987.2 is into OPC for some stuff. I got a 718s with about 900miles on the clock as a loan car.  Feels much more nimble than my car

You've gone from 255 to 350 PS, should feel faster!

I played in a 718s like @Paul P is talking about and I'd forgotten about the noise from my 987.1 after about two mins of driving it. Found myself going "burble burble burble" from my cake hole at the same time. Miles of smiles. Different experience , bit like a Saturn V vs a Star Ship.  Both fun. I want one.

9 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

You've gone from 255 to 350 PS, should feel faster!

Not so much as being faster (which it almost certainly is), but the power delivery is different, and the power comes in much lower down (yes a 3.4 version of mine probably has more of that anyway) - the main difference aside from that is the steering, much quicker, much lighter, much more agile, combined with sport mode and a few roundabouts it was a hoot. Also - it rode very very smoothly - my car is on 18's and does not have pasm - this is on 20's and does have it. 

I get mine back tomorrow - and I am sure it will feel weird for a mile or so - but this was my first drive of a 4 cyl and I went into it without any preconceptions. I liked it a lot. I got tired of the "fake" burble burble (especially when it was augmented by @iborguk ) but otherwise a great opportunity to have an extended drive. 

Sound wise - yup the 6 sounds better but I got over it. Very quickly.

You are correct, if I drove a 718 I'd wish the earth was flat so there was less chance of that coarse engine/exhaust sound bouncing around ;)

Although to be fair I get that going from 986/7 to a 718 is a jump possibly with merit i.e. you get the newer car/tech etc and its a jump up in other areas to warrant the change

12 hours ago, Paul P said:

the main difference aside from that is the steering, much quicker, much lighter, much more agile,

This is interesting, as when the 981/718 came out, there were lots of comments - usually nostalgic, if not actually negative - about the new electric steering, talking about how the driver was again slightly more detatched from the road "feel".

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

This is interesting, as when the 981/718 came out, there were lots of comments - usually nostalgic, if not actually negative - about the new electric steering, talking about how the driver was again slightly more detatched from the road "feel".

Its probably a personal thing and I think you get used to whatever you drive regularly - but I liked the 718 feel for normal enjoyable driving - yes perhaps if I was on the track or pushing the limits then the older style steering may give me more feedback etc. - but honestly - I run out of bottle, a fair way before I run out talent/ability and probably about 60% of the way towards the cur running out of capability (in the right hands)  - in the real world I never get close. I came to the 987 after a 14 year porscheless gap (spent in an Audi A4) - I used to have a 911SC - and honestly - I wouldn't go back to the connected to the road feel from that car unless it was a 1000 miles a year pure toy.

if I had gone the other way 718 to 987 I would have been shocked at the difference - I need to try a 981 to see if that's as marked a difference for me. 

5 hours ago, Paul P said:

Its probably a personal thing and I think you get used to whatever you drive regularly - but I liked the 718 feel for normal enjoyable driving - yes perhaps if I was on the track or pushing the limits then the older style steering may give me more feedback etc. - but honestly - I run out of bottle, a fair way before I run out talent/ability and probably about 60% of the way towards the cur running out of capability (in the right hands)  - in the real world I never get close. I came to the 987 after a 14 year porscheless gap (spent in an Audi A4) - I used to have a 911SC - and honestly - I wouldn't go back to the connected to the road feel from that car unless it was a 1000 miles a year pure toy.

if I had gone the other way 718 to 987 I would have been shocked at the difference - I need to try a 981 to see if that's as marked a difference for me. 

Munchausen's 718 purchase by proxy. Let me know when you need some "help" finding the right one.

I'm surprised about the comments on sound as when I think about some of the best drives I've had, be it Boxster, M5 (especially!) or Clio Trophy, the first, instinctive thing I happily recall is the sound of the things when thrashing the living daylights out of them.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm surprised about the comments on sound as when I think about some of the best drives I've had, be it Boxster, M5 (especially!) or Clio Trophy, the first, instinctive thing I happily recall is the sound of the things when thrashing the living daylights out of them.

It’s not quantity of sound.  With the PSE in the 718 there was plenty.  It’s the quality that’s different. But. Personally. Not even in the list of considerations for or against a 718. It’s just different.  And I very soon forgot about it.

@Paul P I think you hit the nail on the head - they are very different...

I had a 987 manual as a second car and was going to progress to a 981 as an only car - test drove a 981 PDK GTS and it was a loverly car, but the gearbox just didn't click with me on the test drive for a daily driver - although I was still tempted... I was on my way for another test drive of the 981, but stopped off to test drive a 718 PDK GTS on route... Needless to say I never made it to the second 981 test drive and left after purchasing the 718... - loved the extra refinement, steering feel, infotainment and low end torque of the 718 - felt a lot more capable and drivable as a daily driver...

So yes, both brilliant cars and very different cars and you can't go wrong with either - but I think the 718 definitely is a nice, balanced improvement to the 981.

16 hours ago, Paul P said:

It’s not quantity of sound.  With the PSE in the 718 there was plenty.  It’s the quality that’s different. But. Personally. Not even in the list of considerations for or against a 718. It’s just different.  And I very soon forgot about it.

I was meaning quality, not quantity.

Everyone is different but it's a big consideration for sure for me if buying a sports car and not something I'd likely just forget about.

Archived