My first Porsche

Grumpyoldman

So I took the plunge and bought my first ever Porsche !

Like most petrol heads I always wanted a Porsche ever since I was a kid

Hence i got myself a lovely Black 987.1 Boxster 2,7 manual 2006 56k miles , 18 inch S wheels

Bought it privately off a lovely enthusiast who is on his 3rd Porsche

He just bought a fully loaded 981 S PDK 3 weeks ago -took me out in that and it was something else

Anyway as you can imagine I'm very excited about my Box

Taxed and insured and hopefully going to pick it up tomorrow -can't wait for some summer top down driving

Much cheaper to tax than my Z4M and insurance also is cheap as chips-which is a bonus

I had toyed with the idea of a Cayman S -and drove a couple which were really nice - but decided on balance I would miss the top down experience

This is going to be a weekend toy

The 2,7 is a very sweet engine and feels quick enough ,makes a lovely noise on full chat

Gearbox feels nice and slick and the chassis feels tight

Feels more nimble than my Z and at the same time feels very planted in the twisty stuff

IMG_0477.JPG

1 hour ago, Grumpyoldman said:

So I took the plunge and bought my first ever Porsche !

Hence i got myself a lovely Black 987.1 Boxster 2,7 manual 2006 56k miles , 18 inch S wheels

He just bought a fully loaded 981 S PDK 3 weeks ago -took me out in that and it was something else

Anyway as you can imagine I'm very excited about my Box

Taxed and insured and hopefully going to pick it up tomorrow -can't wait for some summer top down driving

Much cheaper to tax than my Z4M and insurance also is cheap as chips-which is a bonus

I had toyed with the idea of a Cayman S -and drove a couple which were really nice - but decided on balance I would miss the top down experience

This is going to be a weekend toy

The 2,7 is a very sweet engine and feels quick enough ,makes a lovely noise on full chat

Gearbox feels nice and slick and the chassis feels tight

Feels more nimble than my Z and at the same time feels very planted in the twisty stuff

IMG_0477.JPG

I'm just surprised no drive comments are made yet! Weed free...wish mine was the same! Ha ha...

Nice car just in time for the Sun! 

Welcome :) 

3 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Anyone we know? Selling a 987 to get a 981...

Interesting that you went for a 2.7 after a Z4M - would have thought you'd want the larger engine.  Anyway, all here say the 2.7 is its equal once above 5k rpm :) 

great looking car, just remember these cars are for revving :) I thought mine was broke trying to drive around at 40 in 6th gear haha, the fun starts at 4250 rpm - go find the fun

14 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Preaching to the converted..!

Welcome, enjoy and share the fun :thumbsup_still:

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Interesting that you went for a 2.7 after a Z4M - would have thought you'd want the larger engine.  Anyway, all here say the 2.7 is its equal once above 5k rpm :) 

TBH i came to realisation that It wasn't possible to safely explore  the performance  M on public B roads where i live

Nonetheless I really  enjoyed my 5 years of onwership of the M -very well engineered especially the legendary  S54 powerplant-very special feeling with that long bonnet and soundtrack 

This is I'm am an old man now and hence I am driving much slower and am happy to let everyone overtake me -especially on a nice day with the roof down enjoying the Angus and Perthsire  Countryside -so the bikers and Golf R brigade can burn me off and that doesnt bother me anymore

I have had powerful sports cars before incl a  220 bhp  Caterham HPC Evo (>400bhp/tonne)  which I owned before the M

Re the Box 2,7 vs 3,4 - I figured that 95% of time i wouldn't really use the extra 55bhp in the S especially on twisty country B roads

That allied to the 2,7 engine being sweet and reliable

I guess only time will tell if I will miss the potential of being able to use that extra power which I had on tap in the M

I did actually toy with the idea of a Cayman S and as I was really impressed when I drove one - very capable

But then after much reflection I reckoned once  the initial novelty had worn off -it wouldn't beg me  to go and out drive just for the sake of it on a sunny evening with the a/c blasting

If I was going to use this to commute as a daily driver then the Cayman would win hands down -its a superb sports car no doubt about that

A Boxster being two cars in one always has this calling. It never remains just a car or just a convertible.

A connection between man, machine and sun god's.

Weird how we all make time to go for a spin #Boxster

35 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

A connection between man, machine and sun god's

You have summed it up perfectly, no more ever needs to be said :worship:

1 hour ago, Grumpyoldman said:

If I was going to use this to commute as a daily driver then the Cayman would win hands down -its a superb sports car no doubt about that

I've never understood this, and that's not a criticism of you as we hear it a lot.  The Boxster can do everything a Cayman can, but you can also take the roof off, if you so wish.  Our roof is hardly ever down but as the Boxster is a lot cheaper than the equivalent Cayman, it's a no-brainer.  The only time I would choose the Cayman over the Boxster would be if I wanted a dedicated track car and the additional chassis stiffness.

My Boxster is my go-to daily, unless I have clients coming to visit.

2 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

TBH i came to realisation that It wasn't possible to safely explore  the performance  M on public B roads where i live

Nonetheless I really  enjoyed my 5 years of onwership of the M -very well engineered especially the legendary  S54 powerplant-very special feeling with that long bonnet and soundtrack 

This is I'm am an old man now and hence I am driving much slower and am happy to let everyone overtake me -especially on a nice day with the roof down enjoying the Angus and Perthsire  Countryside -so the bikers and Golf R brigade can burn me off and that doesnt bother me anymore

I have had powerful sports cars before incl a  220 bhp  Caterham HPC Evo (>400bhp/tonne)  which I owned before the M

Re the Box 2,7 vs 3,4 - I figured that 95% of time i wouldn't really use the extra 55bhp in the S especially on twisty country B roads

That allied to the 2,7 engine being sweet and reliable

I guess only time will tell if I will miss the potential of being able to use that extra power which I had on tap in the M

I did actually toy with the idea of a Cayman S and as I was really impressed when I drove one - very capable

But then after much reflection I reckoned once  the initial novelty had worn off -it wouldn't beg me  to go and out drive just for the sake of it on a sunny evening with the a/c blasting

Nicely put, health to enjoy your new steed :)

So now safely home after picking up the Box today with roof down -some pics after a good clean

Have to say the whole car reeks of quality -went to see my  neigbour Norman who has a DB9 vantage covnertible  -along with a lovely Porsche Speedster replica - and he was really quite taken by how fresh it looked inside and out . He never liked my M but loves the Box -its not that he aaginst Beemers per se as his daily is a 5 series .

First impression is that the clutch and gear box are nicer than on the M -much lighter clutch and slots into gear with a satisfying clunk -alomost like and S2k i once drove

Air con with hood up works well as does heater with hood down

And it really does make a lovely noise when you give it the beans -different from the S54 straight six which is more metallic in quality

The Box  just feels more sharp and nimble than the M -Ok so its not as quick in a striaght line but i'll bet in the twisty stuff its quicker

Am ashamed to say I am not missing the M at all 😯

SWMBO will also find this a doddle to drive -which is a bonus if we out to the pub 😁

Still trying to get my head round not being to see the engine and not being able to dip the oil from time to time

There is one thing where the M wins hands down - the S54 engine really fills the eye under the bonnet -but i guess you dont see that when its parked in the drive or when on the road

Am looking forwards to getting to know this Box over the next few weeks -i intend to tread carefully and treat her with due respect

One question for you all -I presume you all use 99 ron fuel -does it like being on 95 -just in case i ever get stuck in the sticks where they only sell bog std 95 Ron ?

Also really like this site as you dont need to link to web hosting to show pics

Seems contrary to what i was told about Porsche owners -you all seem a rather down to earth freindly bunch 🙄

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

The fuel debate will ron and ron (sorry!). Don't worry about it, too many inconclusive arguments - your choice.

You will need to link to web hosting for pics, you have a very limited number allocated, so it's back to Flikr/ Imgur etc, sorry.

Most of us are very friendly :) 

Archived