Where do you sit on private plates

Grumpyoldman

So SWMBO said you must get a private plate -250 quid plus 80 quid from dvla for a plate with my initials -is it really worth it ?

I didn't have a private plate on the M which was also 2006 and TBH i wasn't planning to get one on the Box

It doesnt change the way the car looks or drives to be fair

I have one on my daily -a Suzuki Swift -but that was an Xmas pressie a long time ago from SWMBO -so i just keep tranferring it every time i buy a new daily -i always feel its a bit pretentious

SWMBO said it would make the Box ageless with a private plate ....

But then again TBH who am I trying to  kid here -everyone will know its an old  Box -so really what's the point

What do other folk think about this one  ?

I mean if you like a private plate on your Box -then fair play if thats how you choose to spend your money and i repsect that entirely

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to finish the look off sometimes, and a bit of an age hider. Bought specially for this one, balanced look of the numbers and letters, 

Oc7XvHz.jpg

5 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

So SWMBO said you must get a private plate -250 quid plus 80 quid from dvla for a plate with my initials -is it really worth it ?

I didn't have a private plate on the M which was also 2006 and TBH i wasn't planning to get one on the Box

It doesnt change the way the car looks or drives to be fair

I have one on my daily -a Suzuki Swift -but that was an Xmas pressie a long time ago from SWMBO -so i just keep tranferring it every time i buy a new daily -i always feel its a bit pretentious

SWMBO said it would make the Box ageless with a private plate ....

But then again TBH who am I trying to  kid here -everyone will know its an old  Box -so really what's the point

What do other folk think about this one  ?

I mean if you like a private plate on your Box -then fair play if thats how you choose to spend your money and i repsect that entirely

I have a couple of plates.  The one on my Boxster is my surname and what I’ve always been called at work - ROW (plus the maximum speed I have driven - on the track naturally).  I like it 🤔

Personal choice...

1 minute ago, rowbos said:

I have a couple of plates.  The one on my Boxster is my surname and what I’ve always been called at work - ROW (plus the maximum speed I have driven - on the track naturally).  I like it 🤔

Personal choice...

40mph? :huh: 

Sounds like you shouldn't bother. I've got a personalised plate with initials as the last 3 letters, although they are the initials of the last owner😀. If you haven't felt the need to buy one until now, don't see why you should. Get an exhaust bypass instead😎

They are a vanity.  Tell your better half that it takes less than 2 minutes on the DVLA website to find out how old a car is, if someone has the inclination.

I have lots of plates. :blush2: 

16 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

:huh: When i suggested the idea of a private plate to Mrs R she just rolled her eyes! I really want PW06BOX ( my initials being PW and the car being an 06) but as far as i can tell it's banned though it took me a while to figure out why!

14 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Non car people won't have a clue in my experience. I have a private plate on retention, but only because it was worth more then the car it came off :)

Had to buy a new one for the box, as the plate I’ve had for years and years, the new wife decided she was keeping it on her now car... 

how cheeky, it was my nickname, not yours! 

As said, not everyone knows it’s an older car - they just see the Porsche badge. Me and the missus have one, and we’ve bought them for the kids too. In my mind it finishes it off, makes it look different from the majority of ‘normal’ cars.

absolutely no real point to having them, but if you like them, just do it

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

:huh: When i suggested the idea of a private plate to Mrs R she just rolled her eyes! I really want PW06BOX ( my initials being PW and the car being an 06) but as far as i can tell it's banned though it took me a while to figure out why!

That’s your problem.  

Disclosure. 

😌

Just now, Mattman42 said:

As said, not everyone knows it’s an older car - they just see the Porsche badge. Me and the missus have one, and we’ve bought them for the kids too. In my mind it finishes it off, makes it look different from the majority of ‘normal’ cars.

absolutely no real point to having them, but if you like them, just do it

Yep agreed.

I have one for my son on retention.  My wife and daughter are a bit more shy and retiring and don’t want anything that draws attention to a car they are driving - at least that saved me a few quid 😬

Just now, Menoporsche said:

Tell you wife to show less interest in plates and to stick with the dishes. 

That will end the discussion - one way or another :o 

A brave approach. Possibly resulting in head injuries due to dish impact...

I like them. Not to disguise a cars age or anything like that, its just another way to personalise a car and make it more 'yours'. I've got a few - not all currently assigned to the cars, but ultimately they all will have one. :)

As everyone says just personal preference. I like them for same reasons as mentioned - just makes it more personal (mine is initials).  I couldn't give a t*ss about hiding the age. It is what it is.  Also don't think the comparison with M badges is fair.  M badges on a 318i are just plain stupid as it's trying to make the car look something that it isn't - a private plate doesn't make my Boxster pretend to be a 911 turbo... (I do agree on the M-Sport trim level is annoying though and most others do it with AMG-Line, S-Line etc etc)

16 minutes ago, villaman said:

I wanted # AVFC # but any variation was way to expensive..so settled for P3 AVF.......I like it on my car.

Always wondered what that plate was about. Audio-visual fan club.

Have you got it on retention now?

When I purchased my first MGF in 2001 there was a bit left in the car kitty after negotiations so I looked on the DVLA site for the cheapest prefix letter combined with a single single number that allowed me to have the abbreviation of my name, only because no one calls me by my full name ! I have transferred the number onto 4 more MG's, one Audi TT Roadster before finally on my Boxster which because of my age will probably be the last car I purchase, nothing to do with age of car disguise but an aid to old memory when asked the registration of my car 😎

Archived