Where do you sit on private plates

Grumpyoldman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Excellent, let there be no dispute. I am hereby officially allowed not to buy a drink at future meets.😇

Half the trouble is being so short they can't see you over the bar when you are queuing :P

40 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Half the trouble is being so short they can't see you over the bar when you are queuing :P

That is genetics mate, we Scots have evolved for precisely this tactic.😉

34 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

That is genetics mate, we Scots have evolved for precisely this tactic.😉

Friend is a Scot - we call him T-Rex as he seems to develop really short arms when we go to the pub and suddenly can't reach into his pockets to get his wallet

3 hours ago, fat haggis said:

talk for yourself shortarese .........😱💄:wish:

Hey, you'll be cutting 8 inches off your legs now you have a motorhome to pay for.🤣

On 5/14/2019 at 2:35 PM, Mattman42 said:

2 reasons for mine - Wife bought it for my 30th birthday (and to try and slow down me swapping cars) and i really don't like the new 7 digit format of the new plates (no reasonable why, but just looks like too many characters too me)

It had the opposite effect for me ....my plates make my car stand out in adverts and people seem drawn to the ads. I sell the car much faster with my plates. 

If you were cynical its just another way for the Government to get even more money out of us. Charging £80 or whatever every time you transfer it also.

I think generally they are a bit vain, but older number plates say 123 ABC or ABC 123 format are quite classy.

Also they do make it easier for people to spot you, as your plate isn't as forgettable as most.

As said above, like many things in life (and most things Boxster) it's all down to personal preference.

Some think they're pretentious or a waste of money, others personalise them to their name, and others to the car.

I fall into the last camp and have a **** BOX on the Boxster and an S4 *** on the S4, and each was snapped up for £250. I wouldn't pay silly money for a private plate.

What would be interesting for me is what Boxster plates we have on here? There are some interesting variations and creations. But maybe I'm hijacking the thread!

My car came with LL11AOR as a standard issue.  A few people (you know who you are) said. “Looks like LIAR”

Then a few more said it, and I started to think about other options (Because family wanted to buy me a plate for my new toy ). I could have got PP11 BOX (initials/year/obvious) but I settled on a single digit prefix style with my initials. Same price (250) 

because it was a present from family I will transfer it. The box ones are fine and maybe if swapping between generations you would keep it but otherwise it’s probably going to stay with the car so for me I wouldn’t do a model specific one unless it was clearly saleable “666 BOX” anyone ? 

HA!!!!

I have been spotted on Social Media! 😄

My tribute to one of my favourite things from my little part of the UK, has been recognised......

Ulster's Finest! 😄

Tayto.png

Tayto-North_1.jpg

T6YTO%20Rear.jpg

3 hours ago, maybe said:

I don't much like private plates, I think they are pretentious. I have 2.

🙄

Couldn't agree more. Who would want to differentiate themselves via a registration number?

Oh, and I bought one too last year for my 987. 😉

I'm trying to find the plate of my first car, registered in 1966 as I enjoyed that car as much as my box. Needle in a haystack problem. Not really a private plate, more of a nostalgic one. Funny, when I bought that car it was as old as my box is now, about 18 years.

Looks like the rules here prevent scrapped cars' registrations from reentering circulation. Just read an interesting thread on pistonheads.

16 minutes ago, Sussexlad said:

Looks like the rules here prevent scrapped cars' registrations from reentering circulation. Just read an interesting thread on pistonheads.

Think this has been the way for a very long time.

IIRC there used to be a ‘scimitar’ which was sort of in decent shape on a driveway on my old beat. I actually loved the shape of it. Chatting to the owner once he said the registration would be worth a fortune but the car needed an MOT for it be be removed but the car was too far gone or would need a huge amount of work to get it worthy of an MOT.

Think it’s still the way it’s done today. Get the plate changed before the MOT expires 

Archived