Where do you sit on private plates

Grumpyoldman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking for something nice (but cheap) for our 986 as it's stock plate is the worst selection of letters you could ever hope for on Countdown.

The wife's daily has name on it, but it's too new to go on the Boxster.

It’s a very personal thing. Some people put stripes on their cars or paint their wheels red. 

My family all clubbed together and bought me a plate for a Christmas present. 

Makes me smile and I will keep it and transfer it to the next car. 

Vanity plates are fine as long as you don’t bastardise them into something they aren’t, then they are just chavvy

Never thought I would buy one, now I have two, to be fair the second one was cheap and I am the only one who recognises it as being personal, makes me smile though so who cares? Your money, your choice.

Tbh i was indifferent until i saw an MX05 plate on another car and realised they're only £250 all in from the DVLA, now i have one on mine. 

I think if you do it for a bit of fun or something personal to yourself then go for it. But once you start spending silly money on one then you're just being a bit flash.  

16 hours ago, Paul P said:

It’s a very personal thing. Some people put stripes on their cars or paint their wheels red. 

My family all clubbed together and bought me a plate for a Christmas present. 

Makes me smile and I will keep it and transfer it to the next car. 

I totally get that

4 hours ago, That986 said:

Tbh i was indifferent until i saw an MX05 plate on another car and realised they're only £250 all in from the DVLA, now i have one on mine. 

I think if you do it for a bit of fun or something personal to yourself then go for it. But once you start spending silly money on one then you're just being a bit flash.  

That nicely summarises the position

19 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

As said, not everyone knows it’s an older car - they just see the Porsche badge.

This.

The amount of people i have to say ' I don't get paid that much, its a 15 year old car' to is ridiculous. I wish I'd kept my age plate on sometimes. 

I have had my private plate for 30 years.

My wife also has one on her car.

The third is on my motorbike.

Nothing flashy, just a way of personalising your wheels.

Interestingly since I moved to my current address a few years ago with my private plates, the whole street now have private plates on their cars...priceless!

Imitation is a form of flattery apparently!

I wouldn't want a personal plate - I always think they're a bit narcissistic.  But I think a dateless plate (strictly, one that precedes the current format) enhances the look of a not-so-new sports car.  I looked for *BOX, but they were all too expensive or too new, so I settled for S33BXT.  S34 might have been more appropriate, but it wasn't available.

21 minutes ago, Required said:

I wouldn't want a personal plate - I always think they're a bit narcissistic.  But I think a dateless plate (strictly, one that precedes the current format) enhances the look of a not-so-new sports car.  I looked for *BOX, but they were all too expensive or too new, so I settled for S33BXT.  S34 might have been more appropriate, but it wasn't available.

Wouldn’t want one, but looked for one and bought one... confusing.

3 hours ago, Required said:

I wouldn't want a personal plate - I always think they're a bit narcissistic.  But I think a dateless plate (strictly, one that precedes the current format) enhances the look of a not-so-new sports car. 

Tenuous?   If you are trying to disguise the car age with a plate then it doesn't matter what you put on.  Now, if you had said that a car looks better with 5 or 6 digits rather than the current 7, you would have got away with it. :)

FTR, S33BXT is not dateless - August '98 to February '99

4 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Wouldn’t want one, but looked for one and bought one... confusing.

I would call that CAR SPECIFIC not PERSONAL. 

Maybe that is what was Required 😁

2 reasons for mine - Wife bought it for my 30th birthday (and to try and slow down me swapping cars) and i really don't like the new 7 digit format of the new plates (no reasonable why, but just looks like too many characters too me)

piJPhMd.jpg

50 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

When I was looking, BOX was around £500.

I went for this at £250 as relatively short cheap.

Fixed it for ya. :D 

Archived