What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 5/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, detail1 said:

Centre console collected from the painters, just leaving me a bit of machine polishing to refine and some PPF to the vunerable areas.

Pleased with the outcome.

IMG_20200516_145901IMG_20200516_175629IMG_20200516_175619

Looks superb. Who did the Alcantara Lid on the Centre Console?

Excellent job.

Best wishes,

Verner

Thanks to recommendation from @DaveS in his thread about his Anni i set to work cleaning up 14 years of corrosion on the wheel carriers using Raceglaze Alubright. Starting with the nearside here is the rear:

Before (first test dab of product on the right)Gw6TVvR.jpg

After:ADCJO8c.jpg

Also managed to spruce up the bracket on the left. Wary of doing the far left part of the bracket for fear of damaging the attached pipe. Would need to detach it completely for a proper clean up.

At first there was only a small effect but perseverance soon showed some bare metal. Final result achieved with various grades of wire wool and plenty of elbow grease. 

This is something i have wanted to do for some time but had no idea how to go about it.  Didn't want to take the easy option of a coat of Hammerite as i felt that would be too 'obvious/unnatural'. Have to admit it felt a bit ocd but very pleased with the results. Finished off with a coat of Raceglaze Jet Laq which leaves a nice, glossy protective coat.

After my previous comments a few weeks ago, I finally got round to finishing off the boot de-badge today:

20200520_11204420200520_115551

Looks a lot nicer IMHO, and I'm really pleased with it now.  The caramel wheel worked well.  I used it on an electric screwdriver instead of a drill, so the speed was relatively slow, but the residue came straight off no problem.  It would have saved me loads of time if I'd found out about that before I tried scraping away at the sticky glue residue with a credit card :lol:

I think the boot lid might need a proper machine polish at some stage, but it looks like the paint hasn't been damaged, so that's a result.  

23 hours ago, Verner said:

Looks superb. Who did the Alcantara Lid on the Centre Console?

Excellent job.

Best wishes,

Verner

Thanks mate.

Had Royal Steering Wheels do all the alcantara trim for me, 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Scottland said:

How do you find the alcantara trimmed wheel? I've always wanted one but worried it would look/feel terrible after a short time?

It's been fine, had it on there about 20 months now. The car isn't a daily driver, so not heavily abused- but a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth and a quick brush and it's as good as new.

It's generally sweat and oils that make the nap go flat and hard, but fairly easy to bring back, just keep on top of it with some light cleaning- same theory applies to leather, if it's glossy- it's dirty and leather creams just add to the soiling.

Edited by detail1

8 minutes ago, detail1 said:

It's been fine, had it on there about 20 months now. The car isn't a daily driver, so not heavily abused- but a wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth and a quick brush and it's as good as new.

It's generally sweat and oils that make the nap go flat and hard, but fairly easy to bring back, just keep on top of it with some light cleaning- same theory applies to leather, if it's glossy- it's dirty and leather creams just add to the soiling.

Thanks good to know 👍

6 hours ago, Scottland said:

How do you find the alcantara trimmed wheel? I've always wanted one but worried it would look/feel terrible after a short time?

Don't do it !! There's NO SUBSTITUTE for leather!!

P.S. as a newbie you will be unaware of my 38 year career in the leather industry. However i really do hate Alcantara and other similar imitations ! :thumbsdown_anim:

Alcantara has its place....I loved it in my GTS as it was a big part of what made a GTS different.......but I equally love leather.........and carbon lol.......I just hate plastic 

27 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Don't do it !! There's NO SUBSTITUTE for leather!!

P.S. as a newbie you will be unaware of my 38 year career in the leather industry. However i really do hate Alcantara and other similar imitations ! :thumbsdown_anim:

But I'm a VEGAN 😡

Just kidding 😛 

But I do like the softer/warmer feel of Alcantara compared to leather...not that I don't like leather I just appreciate a mix of both :)

Cleaned the Boxster hood today with BMW cabrio hood cleaner and reproofer that I have had for many years. Came up well. Also managed to get all the old wheel weight glue off the alloys by using methylated spirits and a lot of elbow grease. Also treated all the rubber seals with  Gummiphledge and the plastics with Polytrol.

E0158315-AD29-41C2-A96D-D1E8E7E803B5.jpeg

10 hours ago, Davey P said:

After my previous comments a few weeks ago, I finally got round to finishing off the boot de-badge today:

20200520_11204420200520_115551

Looks a lot nicer IMHO, and I'm really pleased with it now.  The caramel wheel worked well.  I used it on an electric screwdriver instead of a drill, so the speed was relatively slow, but the residue came straight off no problem.  It would have saved me loads of time if I'd found out about that before I tried scraping away at the sticky glue residue with a credit card :lol:

I think the boot lid might need a proper machine polish at some stage, but it looks like the paint hasn't been damaged, so that's a result.  

Looking good ! The Cherry Bomb also has a clean bum! de badged by her previous owner.

8 hours ago, CAZ said:

Looking good ! The Cherry Bomb also has a clean bum! de badged by her previous owner.

Cheers @CAZ but the photos are a bit misleading.  When viewed in bright sunlight there is still some faint "ghosting" where the badge was, so the boot lid still needs a good polish, or maybe some T-Cut and a decent wax to bring back the shine and restore the colour.  However, all the glue residue is gone, and it does look much better without the badge IMHO.

8 hours ago, StephenM said:

That's looking very shiney - would that caramel wheel thing help get off the residue from past weights on the inside of the wheels ?

I can't think of any reason why the caramel wheel wouldn't work on your alloys mate.  It certainly shouldn't damage them in any way, and should strip the residue off easily if my experience is anything to go by.  An amazing little tool, and I can't believe I'd never even heard of it until someone on here mentioned it.  One small tip: When I first tried it, the rubber wheel seemed to spin off of the threaded shaft part (regardless of the drill direction), so I ended up sticking them together with a hot glue gun - problem solved! :lol:

53 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Cheers @CAZ but the photos are a bit misleading.  When viewed in bright sunlight there is still some faint "ghosting" where the badge was, so the boot lid still needs a good polish, or maybe some T-Cut and a decent wax to bring back the shine and restore the colour.  However, all the glue residue is gone, and it does look much better without the badge IMHO.

Great job Dave, all your worries have been forgotten. T-Cut will help just do a little at a time and polish off until your happy, it will remove all the surface around the area, gently bently. I have seen some mares with petrol tanks from motorcycles with badge removal and T-cut, mind you bike paint is thin.

Once happy stick a dose of your favourite polish on. :) 

8 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Great job Dave, all your worries have been forgotten. T-Cut will help just do a little at a time and polish off until your happy, it will remove all the surface around the area, gently bently. I have seen some mares with petrol tanks from motorcycles with badge removal and T-cut, mind you bike paint is thin.

Once happy stick a dose of your favourite polish on. :) 

Cheers for the advice mate.  Worst case scenario, if I balls it up I can just get the boot resprayed :lol:

7 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Cheers for the advice mate.  Worst case scenario, if I balls it up I can just get the boot resprayed :lol:

Without seeing it up close a decent hand polish should do the trick. Meguiars Ultimate compound is usually available in halfords and is decent to use by hand. Alternatively business might be slow for detailers at the moment, so a local mobile detailer might be willing to come and sort it for not much.

Edited by Scottland
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Davey P said:

If you're happy to spring for a respray why not just buy a DA polisher? Well under £100 these days and you can sort this and any other minor paintwork corrections that need doing.

Edited by minimoog

9 minutes ago, minimoog said:

If you're happy to spring for a respray why not just buy a DA polisher? 

I didn't say I was happy about it, but I'm realistic about my abilities, so that would be an option as a last resort :lol:

15 minutes ago, Scottland said:

Without seeing it up close a decent hand polish should do the trick. Meguiars Ultimate compound is usually available in halfords and is decent to use by hand. 

That's useful mate, I might have to pop into my local Halfords in the next few days and pick some of that up.  Might as well do the whole car while I'm at it.... :whistle1:

8 minutes ago, Patt said:

If you don't fancy having a go yourself, pop over to Bracknell and I'll buzz over your boot lid for you.

That's a really generous offer buddy, thanks very much.  You're a bit too far away, but I really appreciate the gesture anyway :thumbsup_anim: