What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 minute ago, JonSta said:

Remember it's much easier to see the result under electric or flourescent lights. It can look great in daylight then you look in artificial light and the swirl marks are there. My boxster is dark blue. Looked great when I bought it. When I looked at it in the garage under lectric light it was great except for the rear frunk and the hood cover which had swirls. The meguiars sorted it no prob but I was careful to buff in straight lines. Can't remember where I heard that.

Another great tip, thanks again.  I think it would be easier if you did it for me..... :lol:

Definitely easier for you..... It's not a wipe on wipe off thing - you have to work it a bit because after all you're using abrasives to smooth off the edges of any fine marks. It just fools you eye into not seeing them. They're prob still there to one degree of another. If you have forearms like Hulk Hogan you'll be fine.... And if you don't you will have after doing a whole car. Least you don't have to do the roof.

Edited by JonSta

1 minute ago, JonSta said:

If you have forearms like Hulk Hogan you'll be fine.... And if you don't you will have after doing a whole car.

Excellent, I do actually have massive muscular arms, so I should be OK.  Well, one side is massive anyway, but weirdly the other side is just average sized... :lol:

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Excellent, I do actually have massive muscular arms, so I should be OK.  Well, one side is massive anyway, but weirdly the other side is just average sized... :lol:

Pint glasses are heavy mate. 😉

Though I suspect onanism is your problem. 😂

I pulled off the on/volume knob and the scan knob on the cdr24 in order to clean off the sticky residue. Using a soft toothbrush and Mr Muscle bathroom soap scum cleaner I cleaned both knobs and they came up really well. Time will tell if they get sticky again.

Got the roof to sit behind the trim on both sides by replacing the elastic.

The elastic was perished on both sides, so replaced with some from eBay. Sewed the new one onto the piece of triangular cloth attached to the roof and then put the screw through it at the back.  Took about 20 minutes each side and very satisfying!

Just need to tidy up the plastic trim now.

Before:

nIggmVO.png

After:

7WhF0yG.jpg

Not a bad fix for 70p of elastic!

Edited by 987RG
Info

On 5/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, mneil said:

Looks good 👍, the Ali colour suits the car. Did you glue them? I did my 981 also this week and used Gorrila clear, used black mesh as it's Agate grey.

Hot Glue...

2020-05-10_06-37-33

Edited by Dicky-Art

1 hour ago, 987RG said:

Got the roof to sit behind the trim on both sides by replacing the elastic.  Not a bad fix for 70p of elastic!

That looks great mate, I must get round to doing this on mine - I bought the elastic months ago, and just haven't managed to fit it yet...

On a separate note, I wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone on here who recommended Meguires Ultimate Compound to finish off my de-badged boot lid.  I used it this afternoon, and the results are astonishing.  I don't own a machine polisher so did it by hand, and after 3 applications the ghosting from the old badge has been completely removed:

20200524_165601

And here's a pic for the OCD brigade on here, showing all the weeds on my driveway :lol:

20200524_170056

I plan to do the whole car sometime soon, but for today I just did the boot lid.  I also tried buffing out some light scratches on the side of Mrs P's Nissan Juke, and it worked really well on those as well. Absolutely amazing results, thanks again for the recommendation  :thumbsup_anim:

I've fixed my rattling wind deflector :thumbsup_anim:

Two self-adhesive foam pads placed just under the top clips - cost pennies - and not a single squeak, rattle or chirrup from the screen even at motorway speeds. Totally transforms the cruising experience.

rKlibaW.jpg

cSgVXqO.png

Obviously a bit of judicious trimming would make it neater but they're hardly noticeable even so. I imagine they might need replacing periodically but that's no hardship.

Edited by minimoog

2 hours ago, red rocket said:

Hope you've told your insurer about the modification! :woot:

Of course I have mate, everyone knows a de-badged boot increases the top speed, that is just basic aerodynamics :lol:

Edited by Davey P
spelling mistake

Had to go to a family funeral today, he would of approved of taking the Box with the roof down in the bright sunshine - days like this is when you realise that life really is too short and you need to make the most of every day

Car is covered in dust from the building works, but don't care - roof down, sun out, you realise you really did buy the right car.......

.....right up to the point you get back in it after leaving it parked up with the roof down and get 3rd degree burns from the hot leather :(

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Just eat a large pork pie, that should level out any weight saving :)

Oh, I don't need to do that mate, the car has already got over 100 kg of prime British beef wedged into the driver's seat, so one lousy pork pie won't make any difference... :lol:

• Haha 1