What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, Y7TSY said:

7kZdQF8.jpg
Qz2EM7I.jpg

fitted some new centre caps thanks to @beaks

just need to clean up the wheel bolts and it will look good as new! 

top man !

I used a can of Hammerite 'hammered silver' to do my bolts... look fine and a lot cheaper than new... although go steady on your locking bolt with the paint..

ian b

On 8/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, Pinewood said:

with our Belgium trip now cancelled

ordered Carnewal GT exhaust

booked car into Eporsch

day trip to Brighton for the hell of it 

DSC_3948-01

ate ice cream 😋

Gorgeous. Where did you get your Turbo Wheels and what size are they. Always wanted a set for mine but have never gotten around to doing anything about it.

1 hour ago, Verner said:

Gorgeous. Where did you get your Turbo Wheels and what size are they. Always wanted a set for mine but have never gotten around to doing anything about it.

Thanks. The turbo wheels were optioned by the original owner. They are 19's 

• Like 1

Booked car in tomorrow to understand why this happened and get sorted - lower passenger side, roof push rod knuckle went bye bye...which is what it's supposed to do under duress.

Ironically roof works fine without it 😆?!

But obviously not going to use roof until fixed 😪

IMG_3802

5 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Booked car in tomorrow to understand why this happened and get sorted - lower passenger side, roof push rod knuckle went bye bye...which is what it's supposed to do under duress.

Ironically roof works fine without it 😆?!

But obviously not going to use roof until fixed 😪

IMG_3802

This happened to mine the day I picked it up when I heard a loud bang, but didn’t realise and kept using the roof as the other side does the work. I only noticed when I got a leak in the car from where the loose arm punctured the sealing membrane in that area. Replaced the ballpoint and it’s worked fine for the last 3 years. May just have been fatigue on the old plastic as they are supposed to break to save the rest of the mechanism.

Hopefully a quick cheap fix for you🤞

Edited by Nobbie

Just now, Nobbie said:

This happened to mine the day I picked it up when I heard a loud bang, but didn’t realise and kept using the roof as the other side does the work. I only noticed when I got a leak in the car from where the loose arm punctured the sealing membrane in that area. Replaced the ballpoint and it’s worked fine for the last 3 years. May just have been fatigue on the old plastic as they are supposed to break to save the rest of the mechanism.

Yes I think you're probably right re fatigue (Porsche Plastic after all). Everything else looks ok re alignment etc but just want it checked to be sure.

How long did you use the roof for before realising ? 

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Yes I think you're probably right re fatigue (Porsche Plastic after all). Everything else looks ok re alignment etc but just want it checked to be sure.

Bought at the beginning of Oct 2016, finally located the issue in Jan 2017, when the car started fogging up.

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

And possibly your roof has seen more action in the past 4 weeks than it did in the previous 4 years - wonder if somewhere in its brain it keeps a count of how many times the roof has been operated.......

12 minutes ago, Paul P said:

And possibly your roof has seen more action in the past 4 weeks than it did in the previous 4 years - wonder if somewhere in its brain it keeps a count of how many times the roof has been operated.......

Possibly. What do you think it's an upper limit like a Compaq removable drive ? Just saying....🤪

Yes would be interesting to know if the count is buried in there some where.

6 hours ago, iborguk said:

Possibly. What do you think it's an upper limit like a Compaq removable drive ? Just saying....🤪

Yes would be interesting to know if the count is buried in there some where.

Winder  If the balls dry out.( steady )

Think I splashed mine with some wd40 when I poking around ( the roof ones ) 

Edited by Paul P

11 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Winder  If the balls dry out.( steady )

Think I splashed mine with some wd40 when I poking around ( the roof ones ) 

Step away from the keyboard 😀

Don't know or maybe it's just aged plastic.

Whatever the root cause I now understand why fitting metal replacements (see eBay) would be a bad idea.

As per earlier post they are made to break under duress (for good reason)

Edited by iborguk

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

And how often has it been lubricated to keep down the friction loads in the sliding and pushing bits that could overload plastic bits and cause them to break?

I’ve swapped-out the microswitch this morning so can finally get the roof down on the car for the first time since purchasing it 5 weeks ago!

Unfortunately I still can’t get the rear wheels off as the locking wheel nut key I’ve been sent is the wrong size 😡 

2 hours ago, Ascender said:

I’ve swapped-out the microswitch this morning so can finally get the roof down on the car for the first time since purchasing it 5 weeks ago!

Unfortunately I still can’t get the rear wheels off as the locking wheel nut key I’ve been sent is the wrong size 😡 

Yay(ish) !

One challenge at a time - good you can get the roof down, it's what it's for (imho)