What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Changed the exhaust tail pipe clamps. Old ones were shagged and came off pretty easy. One was already split the other I simply cut off with a grinder. Replacement clamps less than £20 on fleabay.

Also, changed the ARB bushes whilst I was under it. I had a spare set in the garage. The car needs a full suspension refresh. Starting with the cheap bits first.....

On 7/9/2023 at 7:37 PM, benjohnstone said:

sold it 🫢

as much as I've enjoyed the boxster ownership I've now moved it on. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wBjMvHG9pcOf5-_AUcrRrJah5KjI6hM0/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wALzwg8hnCZTeO9z-XO90SB9E3BacTR2/view?usp=drivesdk

I'll still hang around though as I rather enjoy Lukes Dales runs 🤷‍♂️

First pic is prettier than the second, but do tell after a fortnight are you regretting the decision or is the Exige worth the change?  I love my 987.1, but am plagued with roof issues, trying to work out whether a Cayman or something else is the best answer :) 

I think I may have solved my sticky window switches today, thanks to someone recommending WD40 (search found it). They were a little intermittent. I was watching youtube vids on removing the door cards etc to get to them. Seemed a right pita.

Literally sprayed some WD40 behind each of the switches and now they work much better.

2 hours ago, fewtrees said:

Pagid rs-42 pads on each corner now.. Now I have to clean up a rear calliper as it’s pulling to one side under braking.. 😞

Does it simply need bleeding?

On 7/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, ½cwt said:

Does it simply need bleeding?

Hmm dunno, are you suggesting that air has got into the calliper so doesn’t move the pistons in the affected calliper?

It only pulls when the calliper is very hot so thinking there’s muck or crystallisation.. 🤷‍♂️

Could be a biding piston in the caliper if it is heat related.  Possibly time for caliper rebuilds across the rear axle at least.  Fresh piston seals and replacement pistons if scored or pitted.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:09 PM, KWR73 said:

First pic is prettier than the second, but do tell after a fortnight are you regretting the decision or is the Exige worth the change?  I love my 987.1, but am plagued with roof issues, trying to work out whether a Cayman or something else is the best answer :) 

No regrets here, 

yes it's loud, focused and totally unrefined. but as a drivers car it's in a different league to the boxster. the steering feel is amazing, goes where you point it.

even been an n/a (with some engine work. cams,porting etc) it's far faster than the boxster it's replaced, 840kg weight helps that alot though.

downsides are it's not overly comfy, no heated seats etc. but for a Sunday morning hooning machine I'll manage 😆

42 minutes ago, benjohnstone said:

No regrets here, 

yes it's loud, focused and totally unrefined. but as a drivers car it's in a different league to the boxster. the steering feel is amazing, goes where you point it.

even been an n/a (with some engine work. cams,porting etc) it's far faster than the boxster it's replaced, 840kg weight helps that alot though.

downsides are it's not overly comfy, no heated seats etc. but for a Sunday morning hooning machine I'll manage 😆

Forgot to mention the brakes CL-RC6 pads all round with belled front discs.

from a tiny 2 pot caliper on the fronts and a conventional sliding caliper on the rear, they are phenomenal I've never driven or been in anything that stops quite like it. 

slammed on that hard the other day it ejected water out of the washer jets much to my amusement 😆 yet no ABS interference at all. 

it's a rather highly modified version of the 190 exige so can't comment on what a standard one would be like.

for anyone interested

engine;

piper stage 2 cams 

ported head

ported runners

itg intake

emu black ecu

450cc injectors

Radium billet fuel rail

moroso baffled sump

billet oil pump gears

2ubular 4-2-1 manifold,hks spots cat, custom 2ubular 8" backbox

Ali 45mm radiator twin spal fans

gearbox;

kaaz short ratio gearset

quaife LSD

Suspension/handling

Nitron coilovers

uprated ARB

Rosejoint toe links

Quick rack

r888r's/A052's

• Like 1

9 hours ago, benjohnstone said:

Forgot to mention the brakes CL-RC6 pads all round with belled front discs.

from a tiny 2 pot caliper on the fronts and a conventional sliding caliper on the rear, they are phenomenal I've never driven or been in anything that stops quite like it. 

slammed on that hard the other day it ejected water out of the washer jets much to my amusement 😆 yet no ABS interference at all. 

it's a rather highly modified version of the 190 exige so can't comment on what a standard one would be like.

for anyone interested

engine;

piper stage 2 cams 

ported head

ported runners

itg intake

emu black ecu

450cc injectors

Radium billet fuel rail

moroso baffled sump

billet oil pump gears

2ubular 4-2-1 manifold,hks spots cat, custom 2ubular 8" backbox

Ali 45mm radiator twin spal fans

gearbox;

kaaz short ratio gearset

quaife LSD

Suspension/handling

Nitron coilovers

uprated ARB

Rosejoint toe links

Quick rack

r888r's/A052's

“And a partridge in a pear tree”!!!

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:54 PM, fewtrees said:

Pagid rs-42 pads on each corner now.. Now I have to clean up a rear calliper as it’s pulling to one side under braking.. 😞

Pulling before? Rob

1 hour ago, fewtrees said:

@MickH No, was fine before. More info.. The pads are a lot thicker so the pistons had to move back more..

Have you got a pressure bleeder? If not I know a man who has!! Could be worth trying that in the first place , or remove the pads and gently polish the pistons

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Have you got a pressure bleeder? If not I know a man who has!! Could be worth trying that in the first place , or remove the pads and gently polish the pistons

I’m floating about tomorrow morning if you need me to have a look Mick

• Like 1

Taxed it. 😧 Does anyone have a spare hemorrhoid pillow?

BTW, It appears that the DVLA have stopped sending out reminders, and instead encourage you to sign up for the Driver and Vehicle portal

All well and good, unless your name appears differently on your passport and V5.
In my case it was the apostrophe in my surname which scuppered me. What a faf.

Edited by eob

So, upgrading to braided hoses has turned out to be rather costly. The short metal pipes adjacent all needed to be replaced too because someone, somewhere had tightened the soft metal fittings until they were all rounded off. Then when three corners were completed, the front offside corner needed yet another pipe to be replaced so the car has been taken hostage while the new part is obtained. I expected a bill of around £200 but £600 seems more likely - I'll find out tomorrow. The upgraded GT3 M/C cost a bit over £600 so my upgraded brakes have emptied my pockets effortlessly.

Hope I can feel the benefit after all this.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:40 PM, benjohnstone said:

No regrets here, 

Thanks - 

I think that gives me with the later posts more than I have asked.  I applaud your response, whilst that nagging voice tells me, "you love Porsche", and I do.  I had another go at the roof, PIWIS all setting correct, micro-switches correct, etc.. Still telling me on the dash that the roof is broken.  2 new rear control units and many resets later am about to give up on the boxster, though I love the car...Will take her to Porsche Tonbridge, have her registered as a classic and see if they can fix the roof, once and for all.   

So this weekend I have had the HVAC unit out and seen that there was a bent pin that explains why the heater stopped working when I replaced the temp and fan slides.

Still cannot work why the roof or the heated seats do not work,  On PIWIS all is correct, i.e all the options are set.  I've tried cleaning the rear control unit connectors with vinegar, salt, water, baking soda etc, but still getting an error on the dash, which surprises me as the fuses are good.

Any help....really appreciated...

Karl.

19 minutes ago, KWR73 said:

So this weekend I have had the HVAC unit out and seen that there was a bent pin that explains why the heater stopped working when I replaced the temp and fan slides.

Still cannot work why the roof or the heated seats do not work,  On PIWIS all is correct, i.e all the options are set.  I've tried cleaning the rear control unit connectors with vinegar, salt, water, baking soda etc, but still getting an error on the dash, which surprises me as the fuses are good.

Any help....really appreciated...

Karl.

Also had the passenger seat out, rear control unit out, clean up of RCU, the central comp can still not see the RCU, when I bought two new ones....Baby is off to Tonbridge Porsche...fingers crossed 

Just jumping in here without knowing your history.

Did you have the new control unit programmed into the car. This needs doing before the roof will work.