What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

On 8/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, mneil said:

Good to hear you have taken the plunge, Enjoy, It's like running on railway lines😃.

Remap, new headers next?

The plunge was taken some time ago, getting installation in these times was the stalling point.

Need to play with tyre pressures a tad as the new PS4S are not reacting the same as the old Bridgestone's.  Once dialled in , I'll do a full write up.

What I will say: do not consider this a track only upgrade.  It is so complaint most would be hard pressed to know it was fitted.

After receiving a text "I see you" from an on duty policeman on the way up there, I decided to dial down the fun on the A43 returning 🙄 

56 minutes ago, Patt said:

The plunge was taken some time ago, getting installation in these times was the stalling point.

Need to play with tyre pressures a tad as the new PS4S are not reacting the same as the old Bridgestone's.  Once dialled in , I'll do a full write up.

What I will say: do not consider this a track only upgrade.  It is so complaint most would be hard pressed to know it was fitted.

After receiving a text "I see you" from an on duty policeman on the way up there, I decided to dial down the fun on the A43 returning 🙄 

I prefer 1psi over recommended on the PS4s vs my Pzeros they feel squidgy in comparison to the Pirellis.

How did said policeman obtain your number?

Edited by daz05

24 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I prefer 1psi over recommended on the PS4s vs my Pzeros they feel squidgy in comparison to the Pirellis.

Big brother can call up any information on you they require 😬.

I set mine 31 front and 30.5 rear cold. On my second set of PS4Ss now and loving them.

I get a more even wear across the rears now, instead of a tendency for excessive wear in the middle. It has taken eight years of ownership to arrive at my settings, the handling suits me but each to his own 😃

Just picked up fro my indy to have the rusty Cat to manifold bolts replaced. They hadn't gone completely but I thought it was good preventative maintenance.

They showed me the old gaskets and you could see evidence of leaks on both sides. This is on a late 2015 car with 32k miles, so I would suggest everyone watches these carefully, I would say it is a matter of when not if the bolts give up and a blow becomes evident!

8 minutes ago, Rooose said:

Just picked up fro my indy to have the rusty Cat to manifold bolts replaced. They hadn't gone completely but I thought it was good preventative maintenance.

They showed me the old gaskets and you could see evidence of leaks on both sides. This is on a late 2015 car with 32k miles, so I would suggest everyone watches these carefully, I would say it is a matter of when not if the bolts give up and a blow becomes evident!

Out of interest how much did this cost? Tempted to do the same....

I was quoted worse case 3 hours labour (1.5 hours per side) plus 20 quid for gaskets and zinc bolts/brass nuts.

In the end, it was 2 hours labour plus parts, one side gave up pretty easily by all accounts whereas the other was a bit of a pig because of access and needing to go careful with the heat/shield the wiring etc.

I did these myself on the 987 but swore never to attempt again(even though with just 2 on the 981 it should be easier!). My indy showed me the metal protective plate he has made to shield the car from the oxy torch when heating the bolts, not something I would have thought about but clearly he has done a few and knows the importance of protecting other parts!

1 hour ago, mneil said:

Big brother can call up any information on you they require 😬.

I set mine 31 front and 30.5 rear cold. On my second set of PS4Ss now and loving them.

I get a more even wear across the rears now, instead of a tendency for excessive wear in the middle. It has taken eight years of ownership to arrive at my settings, the handling suits me but each to his own 😃

Really!  We need to switch to PAYG mobiles and break them after each call then. :)

I have p zeros upfront at the moment so I do that to balance it.  Will be swapping to PS4s upfront soon.

Funny that you have a different wear pattern to me my old rears were wearing more on the outside but the car is all green on the alignment check.  There is no one answer and we all drive a little differently. 

Edited by daz05

1 hour ago, Rooose said:

I was quoted worse case 3 hours labour (1.5 hours per side) plus 20 quid for gaskets and zinc bolts/brass nuts.

In the end, it was 2 hours labour plus parts, one side gave up pretty easily by all accounts whereas the other was a bit of a pig because of access and needing to go careful with the heat/shield the wiring etc.

I did these myself on the 987 but swore never to attempt again(even though with just 2 on the 981 it should be easier!). My indy showed me the metal protective plate he has made to shield the car from the oxy torch when heating the bolts, not something I would have thought about but clearly he has done a few and knows the importance of protecting other parts!

As I said in my video you need to do these as soon as you can and then hopefully you get to them whilst they are still an easy DIY.  Mine gave way so had a loud car on the drive home,  the old pieces were stuck but the repair was only £60 at the indy with genuine parts,.

5 minutes ago, daz05 said:

As I said in my video you need to do these as soon as you can and then hopefully you get to them whilst they are still an easy DIY.  Mine gave way so had a loud car on the drive home,  the old pieces were stuck but the repair was only £60 at the indy with genuine parts,.

60 quid sounds like a great deal!

I was under the impression that like the 987, they are interference fit bolts so even if still in good condition, there is no simple unbolt, remove and replace option. If they are, I would have tackled it myself but couldn't face an unknown number of hours under the car with a dremmel! Just checked out the video Daz  - another good watch and agree with your advice - definitely needs to be on the preventative/regular maintenance list. 

Bought 2 new Meyle drop links for the bargain price of £36 a pair off Ebay. Spent all of 10 minutes trying to fit one and then gave up at took it to a garage.

Fixed in an hour and peace restored, you can't believe how clunky they are when they fail.

32 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Bought 2 new Meyle drop links for the bargain price of £36 a pair off Ebay. Spent all of 10 minutes trying to fit one and then gave up at took it to a garage.

Fixed in an hour and peace restored, you can't believe how clunky they are when they fail.

What mileage did they fail at?

5 hours ago, daz05 said:

Any recommendations for online nut/bolt/gasket supplier for these?

28 minutes ago, daz05 said:

The rear arms apparently get a bit of play around 40k too. 

I replaced rear toe arms and front and rear link arms recently mainly because of the knocking noise that turned out to be drop links.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Would you be so kind as to share the eBay link?

2 hours ago, CMA said:

Any recommendations for online nut/bolt/gasket supplier for these?

I don't actually as I left it to the garage, but you can go oem and keep changing them every 3-4 years or choose something that avoids melting itself to the the remainder of the exhaust.  😂

22 hours ago, daz05 said:

He's a fellow petrol-head.

He was on duty, I did spot him and slow down, fortunately he was also on the opposite side of the dual carriageway. 

I had Revolution fit stainless hardware and replace the gaskets at first service.  One was blowing and had been ignored by OPC while they were changing an active engine mount.

• Haha 1

Just to mention, after the exhaust bolt work, I was on a run out last night, and I am convinced my PSE now sounds better......

Not sure if its my ears playing tricks but it sounds a little 'tighter' and I am sure there are more pops/gurgles on the overrun

Could all be my imagination but fairly certain it isn't!

2 hours ago, Rooose said:

Just to mention, after the exhaust bolt work, I was on a run out last night, and I am convinced my PSE now sounds better......

Not sure if its my ears playing tricks but it sounds a little 'tighter' and I am sure there are more pops/gurgles on the overrun

Could all be my imagination but fairly certain it isn't!

Might not be , I got a new exhaust fitted under warranty as the PSE valve was SEIZED lol and it increased the volume by at least 50% , didn’t think one side would make that difference  

Sutton coldfield have an approved used 718 GT4 in Black. First reg February 2020 with 160miles on the clock. Looks amazing!!

If I remember correctly £110K, would that be a flipper?🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬