What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

29 minutes ago, daz05 said:

@topradio nice one, how easy it is for the heat to escape around the coils. Heard this is a weakness if the 981 is used on track.

I could imagine it getting pretty hot in that location, the coils are surrounded by exhaust manifold  which is what makes it so tricky to replace them.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, topradio said:

I could imagine it getting pretty hot in that location, the coils are surrounded by exhaust manifold  which is what makes it so tricky to replace them.

The 991 has heat shields to protect them.  They will fit the "lesser" models too I did have the part numbers from an ebay listing , but the listing has gone.  IIRC about £70

7 hours ago, Patt said:

The 991 has heat shields to protect them.  They will fit the "lesser" models too I did have the part numbers from an ebay listing , but the listing has gone.  IIRC about £70

GT4 does too iirc.  Can't be too difficult to fabricate something ourselves don't you reckon? Must just be the bendy shield material with some holes.

Did this to the Boxster yesterday.

2020-05-31_05-28-492020-05-31_05-29-34

All the parts are now with my mate that has done all the paint jobs on my other Boxsters in the past.

Decided to have the front of the hoops done as well as the back, also the plastic part where the seat belt disappears, it makes a nice continuous white line from the front of the hoops down to it.

Photos to follow when done and thanks to @T24RES for the how to 👍

Guvs.

Edited by Guvs
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, mneil said:

Had new equal length headers with 200 cell sports cats fitted today😃, not by myself I might add but over Solihull way at Zuffenhaus.

The good news is that all the manifold bolts came out in one piece, after a bit of warm persuasion.

First impressions on the drive home:

The exhaust sound has altered; not louder but a most pleasant tone when burbling along then turning into a real howl at full chat.

I am sure there is an improvement to the torque lower down and once past 3.5K it takes off like a screaming banshee!

In my opinion, it was money well spent.

IMG-20200415-WA0005

Neil..how are these now you've had them fitted for a while?

18 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Neil..how are these now you've had them fitted for a while?

Morning John, I'm so pleased with the results. The car pulls like a train with a beautiful bi-tonal exhaust note that comes in from 2k onwards; as if you can hear every cylinder firing, very V6 ish, difficult to explain.

Of course the individual pipes and new 110mm tips help with the tone and do look nice filling up the aperture at the rear. I did post the photos incase you missed them in

"What have you done to your 981 today"

On 27 May 2020 at 6:18 PM, mrbikerdood said:

Dropped off at my local garage at 6.30am for MOT

Picked up at 5pm ,went through with no advisories ... again 🙂 🙂

Always a good feeling that!!

14 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Always a good feeling that!!

It's the only car I've ever owned that's always gone through its MOT with out advisories and had its service history kept up to date lol

But def a gr8 feeling 🙂

1 hour ago, mneil said:

Morning John, I'm so pleased with the results. The car pulls like a train with a beautiful bi-tonal exhaust note that comes in from 2k onwards; as if you can hear every cylinder firing, very V6 ish, difficult to explain.

Of course the individual pipes and new 110mm tips help with the tone and do look nice filling up the aperture at the rear. I did post the photos incase you missed them in

"What have you done to your 981 today"

Thanks Neil, thats really helpful. I'm definitely thinking of fitting this. Did they supply the gaskets?

14 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Thanks for this too Neil. Are those guys going to sell this. 

Hi John

I purchased OEM header to cylinder head and header to back box inlet gaskets, Zuffenhaus in Wythall installed the headers, very reasonable.

MIJ performance in Walsall did the modifications to the original OEM exhaust: cut off the original tail pipes which link both back boxes and prefabricated a new smooth flowing exit pipe with 110mm tail pipes welded to the original exits from each back box as shown in the photos.

I have no intention of replacing the OEM back boxes with a bespoke system, for fear of extra noise and drone at motorway speeds.

As is: I have no drone at cruising speed, just the usual tyre rumble but a lovely exhaust tone under accelaration plus the added performance. Win Win all-round, except the wallet of course.

Would I recomment it together with the remap...............YOU BET!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by Patt's recent post on here, I cleaned all 4 wheel wells today using engine degreaser in the paraffin sprayer on my air compressor. 

Only spent a couple of hours so nowhere near as good as Patt's so still some tar left to remove and awaiting some aluminium brightener to arrive but pleased with the results (seeming most of the time was spent cleaning the inside of the wheels and painting the wheel nuts):

fTKLHZB.jpg

BEFORE

2020-05-31_05-29-34

AFTER

2020-06-24_08-51-18

will post photos of them fitted in the "running report" section " my Very White Boxster" later.

Guvs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rooose said:

I like that! 

What did you use and how did you fix it on?

It's secured with 3M double sided tape, cleaned the surface and degreased and then used the heat gun on low when applying. It survived the first blast when I went out the other night.

It's quite subtle but adds a little something, I thought about putting it all the way round but it's not a flat surface so prefer this.