What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

8 minutes ago, daz05 said:

They are intakes and the lower portion a vent, per side on the 981 since it has a dual intake system.  Cooling vents are very important on these they need more actually as the heat kills the coils packs on cars that see a lot of track work.

My point was the intake pressure is greater than the engine can use.  Not that there's anything wrong with getting the dynamic pressure as high as possible for those who take their car to it's maximum speed.

We had a huge three storey building at work (until the company split in two), half dedicated to one transient dyno.  The air intakes were two externally attached eighty foot towers and the upper floor was for accelerating and decelerating the air and the basement was for fuel and exhaust management.  Massive overkill for a 3 litre F1 engine (when it was commissioned), of course they are smaller now.

24 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

My point was the intake pressure is greater than the engine can use.  Not that there's anything wrong with getting the dynamic pressure as high as possible for those who take their car to it's maximum speed.

That's exactly who the Porsche brand represents.

Edited by daz05

Had new equal length headers with 200 cell sports cats fitted today😃, not by myself I might add but over Solihull way at Zuffenhaus.

The good news is that all the manifold bolts came out in one piece, after a bit of warm persuasion.

First impressions on the drive home:

The exhaust sound has altered; not louder but a most pleasant tone when burbling along then turning into a real howl at full chat.

I am sure there is an improvement to the torque lower down and once past 3.5K it takes off like a screaming banshee!

In my opinion, it was money well spent.

IMG-20200415-WA0005

Edited by mneil
Just found photo
  • Like 1

Are you hiding your part sin a caravan Neil?

Which manifolds are they?

They are second on my list after X73, although all now has to come after finding a job.

Edited by Patt

56 minutes ago, Patt said:

Are you hiding your part sin a caravan Neil?

Which manifolds are they?

They are second on my list after X73, although all now has to come after finding a job.

My man cave Patt, think I spend more time in there than the house 😇.

IMAG0700

The headers came from Germany, will have a look for a link.

Good luck on the job front, fortunately I'm long past that worry 🙄🤫.

24 minutes ago, lofi said:

Do you know the brand of cats? Hoping they are HJS

Sorry all I know is they came direct to me from Germany. This was the link that I found from Germany but was easier to pay through Topgear.

https://www.monasteria-performance.de/epages/17985265.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17985265/Products/000029

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

I received an X73 rear anti roll bar, will report back with a video and my thoughts when I can go out properly again.

I had the full X73 suspension fitted; roll bars, shocks and springs. The roll bars are solid whereas the standard ones are hollow.

It transformed the car's handling, very little roll, lower cg with the 20cm drop, plus that lower stance really improves the look. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love it.

Oops just noticed I put 20cm instead of 20mm🤯. Will be thinking I'm now running 10" wheels as against 20"🤪.

Edited by mneil
Predictive text 🤪

Dropped off at my local garage at 6.30am for MOT

Picked up at 5pm ,went through with no advisories ... again 🙂 🙂

• Like 1

started back on my lock-down list of things to do, although beer, ice lolly and social distancing neighbours meant I only got one done 🙂 

49944724317_34f69393e9_b.jpg

after, cleaned, de-tar and protected:

49943927033_f1a273e346_b.jpg

• Like 1

wheel cleaner, then a strong degreaser with fine wire wool to get any suborn tar stuck in the texture and clean up the aluminium parts a bit too.

Then painted bits got a quick dose of SRP and the plastics with Polytrol

15 minutes ago, daz05 said:

😂 Please don't tell me that I encouraged this!

Not especially, took the car out and I could hear the nearside one squawking. Been in there a few times, car doesn't move as much as it used to 👍 

Today I ave been mostly changing my spark plugs.  I was just about to take my 981 for service when lockdown happened so I decided that I would change the plugs myself.

Waited over a week for the parts from CP4U to be delivered and got on with it today. I started on the passenger (left) side as I had read that it's the more difficult side, it is but not by much.  You get at the plugs by removing the wheels and the plastic liners and access is through the wheel arch.  It's a little tricky as it's very tight and the front plugs are in such a position that you will only get to them with wobble bars or, as I did, universal joints. As long as your careful and methodical it's a perfectly do-able DIY job.  I can see why Porsche charge £250 + as it involves a bit more work than topping up the washer bottle like they do on a service.

It took me about 3 hours including coffee breaks and time Hoovering up the loose stones lodged on various horizontal surfaces (the 981 seems to be particularly bad at collecting debris - even worse than the 986) as well as cleaning up the wheel well in general while I was there.

This is the view of the two rearmost coils on the left, the right side is very similar.

cbGyLdj.jpg

• Like 1