What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

applied tinted film to headlights,  this is the best ive tried,  over the last few weeks ive ordered and tried lots but either too dark or film was poor quality and hard to stretch without it looking poor.   this is light smoke and its just a little bit darker than stock.  

Going to try to apply some to plexiglass wind diffuser tomorrow.  

15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg

27 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

Would this not just make the already poor standard headlight brightness Even worse?

+1

But could always upgrade the dull 25w xenon to 35w as in an earlier thread.

I did it and what a difference!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

Would this not just make the already poor standard headlight brightness Even worse?

I upgraded the xenon bulbs but its really not that dark and tbh I don't really drive mine much in the dark 

Edited by robporsche

I enquired about vinyl wrapping my headlights and was put off, also coincidently I was reading my user manual this morning and saw a warning in their about putting film on headlights. I think it can restrict the heat escaping and could cause delamination of the Headlight Lens ( £1000 each). So I would think twice about it. cheers   alan

12 minutes ago, alank said:

I enquired about vinyl wrapping my headlights and was put off, also coincidently I was reading my user manual this morning and saw a warning in their about putting film on headlights. I think it can restrict the heat escaping and could cause delamination of the Headlight Lens ( £1000 each). So I would think twice about it. cheers   alan

They already have a film over the headlight and its quite a common problem for the boxster headlights in particular to delamination, porsche use to swap them if you took it in with the problem.

IMG_20200505_150036

Spent all afternoon with the dremel and 600 grit mini flap wheel, then 800 and 1200 by hand. Really pleased with the result although my thumb needs a transplant 😭. Hopefully get the laquer on tomorrow, then only 3 more wheels to do 😭😭.

IMG_20200429_150628

Beforehand in many places around the rim. When I got the discoloured laquer of there was no corrosion on the alloy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mneil said:

IMG_20200505_150036

Spent all afternoon with the dremel and 600 grit mini flap wheel, then 800 and 1200 by hand. Really pleased with the result although my thumb needs a transplant 😭. Hopefully get the laquer on tomorrow, then only 3 more wheels to do 😭😭.

IMG_20200429_150628

Beforehand in many places around the rim. When I got the discoloured laquer of there was no corrosion on the alloy.

looking good,   ceramic coat those bad boys aswell, that way no harsh wheel cleaning liquid needed,  just car shampoo will be enough

Rob

i ceramic coated mine recently and was apprehensive about the hype, well a few weeks in now and I’ve not used a wheel cleaner since , had to use it every wash and a hard scrubIng too previously.used Gtechniq and would highly recommend it, also did the GTS diffuser and side vents and same result 

9 minutes ago, Geoff Pearce said:

Can you recommend a DIY ceramic coating? 

Best do some homework first - it's not quite like a wax that you just apply.  You really need the correct preparation to ensure it works correctly.

Here are some of the product manufacturers more aligned to consumer application (off the top of my head):

CarPro

Avalon King

Gtechniq 

Most can be used everywhere, despite the marketing have you believe you need a separate product for each material. However not all products are the same.

Remember any imperfections will be sealed in once coated.  If you enjoy polishing your car, ceramic is not for you either.

Do some searches on youtube before you buy. If just thinking of doing wheels and plastics, ensure your product can do just that.  eg. the Gtech C5 for wheels states do not apply to plastic wheel centres. 

Hope that helps,

1 hour ago, Geoff Pearce said:

Can you recommend a DIY ceramic coating? 

For wheels or for paintwork?   Wheels o have switched to KKD revolve, I just think it's amazing product and seems to really hold up well.  I did the brake calipers aswell.   Bodywork I've only used grechniqs exo and crystal serum, but as patt says paintwork has to be spot on as it will show every swirl and mark and once cured it's pretty hard to remove.

Thanks both.  I was thinking about wheels initially as mine are in for refurb at the moment.  My paint is pretty good as I DA compounded, polished and then waxed it about 6 months ago.  Being seal grey it doesn’t show swirls so much so perhaps that makes a difference too - I imagine it’s worse on dark colours?  I expect I’d have to remove the wax and polish with another compound before ceramic coating too?  I suppose a session on YouTube will give me a good steer!

Gave the wheel arches a wash and brush up. Nearside were the worst to clean. Need to find something to clear that rust of the hub centres. Car 6 years old next month.

Note - the weeds on the drive are being dealt with tomorrow!

6kktrNn.jpg

Edited by Ringer250

6 minutes ago, Ringer250 said:

Gave the wheel arches a wash and brush up. Nearside were the worst to clean. Need to find something to clear that rust of the hub centres. Car 6 years old next month.

Note - the weeds on the drive are being dealt with tomorrow!

6kktrNn.jpg

Nice and clean Steve!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mneil said:

ACF 50.

Cheers. Think I got some in the garage somewhere.

6 hours ago, Geoff Pearce said:

Thanks both.  I was thinking about wheels initially as mine are in for refurb at the moment.  My paint is pretty good as I DA compounded, polished and then waxed it about 6 months ago.  Being seal grey it doesn’t show swirls so much so perhaps that makes a difference too - I imagine it’s worse on dark colours?  I expect I’d have to remove the wax and polish with another compound before ceramic coating too?  I suppose a session on YouTube will give me a good steer!

Geoff ,

I’ll put a few pics up , mine were repainted so straight into ceramic prep while perfect .

washed them down 

dried wheels 

ipa wiped down completely 

dried again with blower

applied c5 as per instructions 

got a 60ml bottle and used it also for four red calipers ,rear diffusers and side vents and still had 30ml left (20” rims)

25-C5-C182-5648-4826-B579-07-D9-C86-EC54
EA37-A427-CD66-4-CAA-926-E-64-FEC0179-D5
38-F6-A3-AA-A44-F-41-BC-A805-D4-EE2754-B
7084-D325-9-F34-4-F19-B1-A6-DE615-BD5790
8-B0-CEDE6-0618-417-B-A0-B0-1-AF28-BA378
8-A73-D055-9-CAE-4-BFA-8-B69-E85-E90-D94
0-C7-E907-B-316-A-447-C-8-D9-A-EF5594-A0
C31-B2-EBA-1-CAB-431-A-A3-C6-B616-E8-D64
7-D29324-D-858-B-42-C8-A145-70-A968-C06-
ACCE0577-E97-F-4-C66-ADE2-DED1-D664-F0-E
BB1-EE92-F-D4-E1-41-E2-B60-F-398-C6-F487
CAE6689-E-A660-405-C-AC0-D-6-F860731095-