What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

10 hours ago, Paul P said:

Totally agree, except it’s not “lifetime”, it is “for as long as it remains technically viable to provide”. That suggests it regularly checks with the mother ship to make sure I can have heated seats.   And when we are on 7g or when BMW turn off that server, then it’s becomes no longer technically viable. 

I am ok with the model and agree 100 % on retrofit - makes and car have any spec that a 2nd or subsequent owner would like, but once I commit I want them heated seats still working on that very last journey to the crusher in 25 years time.  

I would of thought once activated, that was it, not that it continuously needs a code resent.

3 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I would of thought once activated, that was it, not that it continuously needs a code resent.

But how would BMW protect themselves from people just registering for 1 month and then cancelling?

3 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

I think it "phones home" from reading between the lines - otherwise at some stage someone clever will figure out a code generator / enabler thing.......

From their site.....

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/Seat_Heating_SFA_gb

[1Unlimited as long as the technical prerequisites are met for this vehicle

I really have no idea how it works tbh, but I'm pretty sure anyone buying the "lifetime" will get their moneys worth. Hardware is probably more likely to fail before it becomes impossible to check the car remotely.

Hi all, just had a major service completed and think they have failed to reset the service indicator on the car (book is all stamped up). Is there a way to do this myself so that the car matches up?

Also anyone running an after market GPS tracker, any reccomemndations?

1 minute ago, steve7 said:

Hi all, just had a major service completed and think they have failed to reset the service indicator on the car (book is all stamped up). Is there a way to do this myself so that the car matches up?

You'll need a capable diags tool to reset the service indicator.

Apple AirTags are one approach, not as good as a GPS but another approach if you're into the Apple ecosystem.

Many years ago I had to use a Tracker to get insurance on an imported car.

Think it was £285 per year for the subscription and you never saved that on the insurance premium.

Don't know what they charge for installation as I had it done at mates/staff rates.

18 hours ago, JurassicGTS said:

Is that Kersey in the background?

It’s Lavenham, had to look it up (GPS on the photo).

I trekked up from Kent to a classic and sports car event at RAF Bentw*ter and then took an indirect route back and forth across bits of Suffolk on the return leg. Another 400 miles of devaluation - a good Saturday’s work :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Sorry guys, I’ll start a different thread in the right place. 

Dammit Boxsters wear bold colours so well. 

Oops sorry @Menoporsche - I  read the thread title incorrectly maybe.

What have you done to your 981 today?

What have you done with your 981 today?

3 hours ago, steve7 said:

I have used these for the last 10+years £4 per month

https://gps-login.co.uk/mobile/index.php

4 hours ago, steve7 said:

Resetting the service interval is part of the service, and as such if they haven’t done that, what else haven’t they done ?   Are they close enough to just take it back to them ? 

4 hours ago, steve7 said:

Re tracker.  

No 1st hand experience but is something like this an option  ?

https://www.wexeuropeservices.com/en-gb/atom-promotion/

21 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Resetting the service interval is part of the service, and as such if they haven’t done that, what else haven’t they done ?   Are they close enough to just take it back to them ? 

Its an OPC some 200 miles away and one of the may things not done properly when I bought the car from them....I'm pretty much there now however hopefully this is the last thing and I can then never have to deal with them again!

3 minutes ago, steve7 said:

Its an OPC some 200 miles away and one of the may things not done properly when I bought the car from them....I'm pretty much there now however hopefully this is the last thing and I can then never have to deal with them again!

Ouch.  And fair enough.  Personally  I would still be making it their problem to resolve especially if you have to buy equipment or pay someone to do it.  

hope you get it sorted to you satisfaction and can get on enjoying the car.  

10 minutes ago, steve7 said:

Feel for you, been there and had the T-shirt.

Hope you get it sorted without too much further agg.

18 minutes ago, steve7 said:

Put your location in your profile.  Someone local with Durametric or PWIS may then be able to help with the reset. Either that or insist they commission an OPC nearer to you to do the reset or they do the 400 mile roundtrip.  Basic step in servicing I'd have thought and most brands have it at the top of their final check list....

Also no harm in name and shame if they are supposed to be representing the marque but are letting their customers down.  It will give other owners the heads up.

Thanks for everyone's input, I have asked them for a solution that will not involve me travelling and I'll be naming and shaming if they fail in this last step :)

Ironically their responsiveness has been really good with me however execution rather less so :(

6 minutes ago, steve7 said:

Thanks for everyone's input, I have asked them for a solution that will not involve me travelling and I'll be naming and shaming if they fail in this last step :)

Ironically their responsiveness has been really good with me however execution rather less so :(

Dropped you a PM.