What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

53 minutes ago, andygo said:

This video looks at painting plastic parts, seems like a sensible chap.

Yes it is a good video for painting plastic.

If you’re going to paint them yourself I would recommend getting some decent plastic primer. I couldn’t decide if these needed it but I used it anyway as it helps bond the paint to part.

The biggest issue I had was holding them to paint, if you could find a way to hang them securely you would be laughing 👍

52593999870_3347ec81ab_b.jpg

Mine held up this morning on our local breakfast run, so I m reasonably sure they won’t be dropping off any time soon 😂

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes it is a good video for painting plastic.

If you’re going to paint them yourself I would recommend getting some decent plastic primer. I couldn’t decide if these needed it but I used it anyway as it helps bond the paint to part.

The biggest issue I had was holding them to paint, if you could find a way to hang them securely you would be laughing 👍

52593999870_3347ec81ab_b.jpg

Mine held up this morning on our local breakfast run, so I m reasonably sure they won’t be dropping off any time soon 😂

Mine have 2 predrilled holes on the face that sits against the black trim insert. a bit of bent welding wore as a hook should make them simple to hang up to paint.

One thing I'm not sure about is thatthe double sided ape is 1.1mm thick. The face that you attach the tape to is recessed in by approx 1mm, so very little tolerance for the tape to stand proud of the scoop to enable it to adhere to the intake trim and bodywork. Might have to sand a bit of the lip down. Is your scoop similar?

USH7FAq.jpg

oaRLm8x.jpg

Another shot showing lip and also holes for hanging whilst painting.

Edited by andygo

2 hours ago, andygo said:

Mine have 2 predrilled holes on the face that sits against the black trim insert. a bit of bent welding wore as a hook should make them simple to hang up to paint.

One thing I'm not sure about is thatthe double sided ape is 1.1mm thick. The face that you attach the tape to is recessed in by approx 1mm, so very little tolerance for the tape to stand proud of the scoop to enable it to adhere to the intake trim and bodywork. Might have to sand a bit of the lip down. Is your scoop similar?

USH7FAq.jpg

oaRLm8x.jpg

Another shot showing lip and also holes for hanging whilst painting.

They look exactly the same as mine.

I couldn’t find any wire to hang mine on and I was impatient 😂

I had similar concerns about the tape but by screwing them to the oem vent the tape is only a secondary fixing and mine seem very secure. I just used some 10mm 3m vhb tape but they may do some which is thicker.

It wasn't what I did today, but since I went out in the snow a few weeks back I spent a couple of hours with the jetwash going all round and under the car to give it a thorough clean up.

Followed that with a quick coating of ACF50 where I could reach, it was flipping cold so I'll do a more extensive job in the Spring.  Something I did note though is that the silver crossmember type bit of metal that goes near the anti-roll bar looks a bit manky.

It is 10 years old this year so to be expected I guess but even so it's letting it down a bit in terms of appearance.  What say the BoXa experts in terms of tidying up?  Paint it with a rust-preventative silver or does that make it look more like I'm trying to hide it's "natural state".  It's not something you'd see unless you've been run-over I suppose...

On 12/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Boxta777 said:

Painted my base Cayman grille slats matte black yesterday. Didn't like the look of the colour coded ones. Pretty chuffed with the result. 😃

No picture = didn't happen :lol:

I had mine wrapped in black last year, got a bit fleeced if I'm honest...  I do prefer the look of it, I wasn't sure I would despite photoshopping it first hence having them wrapped so it's removable.  Looks great from a distance but the wrap is gloss which I think would might look better with a matt finish.

Anyone know what would the finish be if it was straight from Porsche?

2 hours ago, moospeed said:

It wasn't what I did today, but since I went out in the snow a few weeks back I spent a couple of hours with the jetwash going all round and under the car to give it a thorough clean up.

Followed that with a quick coating of ACF50 where I could reach, it was flipping cold so I'll do a more extensive job in the Spring.  Something I did note though is that the silver crossmember type bit of metal that goes near the anti-roll bar looks a bit manky.

It is 10 years old this year so to be expected I guess but even so it's letting it down a bit in terms of appearance.  What say the BoXa experts in terms of tidying up?  Paint it with a rust-preventative silver or does that make it look more like I'm trying to hide it's "natural state".  It's not something you'd see unless you've been run-over I suppose...

If it is alloy try this:

AluBright Deoxidiser - Race Glaze

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, moospeed said:

the silver crossmember type bit of metal that goes near the anti-roll bar looks a bit manky. It's not something you'd see unless you've been run-over I suppose...

If I get run over, I'll probably turn a blind eye to any mankyness under the car. It won't be high on my priorities in that event.😄

• Haha 1

Yes mine didn't look great either, you'll get an even bigger shock when you see the black crossmember that sits behind the the arb under the manifolds. I repainted both.

Manifold bolts were all nice and silver at least, I expected the worst after seeing the bolts at the cat joints.

Brake lines that connect to the calliper are vulnerable too good to check and protect them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, moospeed said:

No picture = didn't happen :lol:

I had mine wrapped in black last year, got a bit fleeced if I'm honest...  I do prefer the look of it, I wasn't sure I would despite photoshopping it first hence having them wrapped so it's removable.  Looks great from a distance but the wrap is gloss which I think would might look better with a matt finish.

Anyone know what would the finish be if it was straight from Porsche?

I'll try get some good close up piccies soon as 😃

On 12/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, Boxta777 said:

Painted my base Cayman grille slats matte black yesterday. Didn't like the look of the colour coded ones. Pretty chuffed with the result. 😃

I'm tempted to do this. Did you just take the slats out or did you paint with the bumper on the car?

2 hours ago, toby_b said:

I'm tempted to do this. Did you just take the slats out or did you paint with the bumper on the car?

Left the bumper on. Just make sure your masking is good and cover the whole front of the car. 😃

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If you have grilles over the top some even just put black electrical tape over the slats. No one notices. Or at least to see if you like the look. 

I Photoshopped the look first and decided I liked the front end black. Looks a little more aggressive 🙂

On 1/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, daz05 said:

Yes mine didn't look great either, you'll get an even bigger shock when you see the black crossmember that sits behind the the arb under the manifolds. I repainted both.

Manifold bolts were all nice and silver at least, I expected the worst after seeing the bolts at the cat joints.

Brake lines that connect to the calliper are vulnerable too good to check and protect them.

I’ve still got my replacement manifold nuts and bolts sat on the shelf from last year.  They aren’t going to be having much benefit to the car up there, another job on the list.

After having previously spent far too long underneath a car getting it “better than new” in places that are never seen I’m determined not to fall down that slippery slope with this one, but will sort out any niggly bits that are relatively easily visible.

Thanks mate, yes all working perfectly. The GPS adapter is a little fiddly if you have big hands otherwise not difficult and does what it says on the tin!

Did have the “I hope I haven’t triggered any dashlights” moment as I reconnected battery but all good. 

7 minutes ago, Raffe said:

Thanks mate, yes all working perfectly. The GPS adapter is a little fiddly if you have big hands otherwise not difficult and does what it says on the tin!

Did have the “I hope I haven’t triggered any dashlights” moment as I reconnected battery but all good. 

Looks brilliant. I'm not a big fan of the 'Sports' steering wheel, the 718 looks a lot more modern.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the project cost in the end? I suspect if I were to do similar, it would be slightly different as I have paddles.

11 minutes ago, andygo said:

Looks brilliant. I'm not a big fan of the 'Sports' steering wheel, the 718 looks a lot more modern.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the project cost in the end? I suspect if I were to do similar, it would be slightly different as I have paddles.

Apologies, saw your costs on your other thread...

It’s a ridiculous cost tbh but if I ever sell the car I’d remove the wheel.

The sport wheel looks pretty decent to the multifunction mine came with, just really dated the interior.

Edited by Raffe