Not using superunleaded.

mortzz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys I do know abit about mapping and at lowish revs normal unleaded should be fine but you would need super on a track day as it's all about the dreaded knock and the mixture being weak as I'm from the Turbo background so I take it Porsche mapped the boxster for 98 in mind , so my thoughts are if ya not giving it right foot 24/7  ..   95 ton should be ok but you guys know alot more than me about this engine..  

1 minute ago, Liberty said:

I’ve tried the cheapest but don’t you get more miles from the higher Ron fuel ️ And doesn’t your car feel better or maybe I’m being lied to by my little beauty...

Can't say I've noticed any difference with either. 

I ran it pretty exclusively on Tesco momentum for the first 18 months or so. 

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

I filled mine up for the first time since I bought it the other day, and opted for the Tesco momentum as well, so it's good to know others are doing the same :thumbsup_anim:

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

What is the Ron on that? I’ll give it a try.Been using shell v and like but wouldn’t mind saving some pennies.

19 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I filled mine up for the first time since I bought it the other day, and opted for the Tesco momentum as well, so it's good to know others are doing the same :thumbsup_anim:

I've not put Momentum in the thing for years :)

Use Asda now.... 

Was told when I bought my 987 from Guv's on here that my car doesn't actually like the expensive stuff and runs better on the ordinary.

1 hour ago, CAZ said:

Was told when I bought my 987 from Guv's on here that my car doesn't actually like the expensive stuff and runs better on the ordinary.

My wife to be said something similar when I first met her - turns out she runs a lot better on the expensive stuff 🙄🙄

Have to admit I'm a sucker for V-power.  Dates back to when my Impreza Turbos definitely responded well to what was then Optimax and gave better economy which matched the price difference.  Took less time on the throttle to get to speed so average throttle opening was smaller may be, but could be total bo***cks) Always felt more satisfying with the expensive stuff anyway.

No idea if the effect is the same with a n/a Porsche as I've not run it on 95.

Just after I bought the 986 in 1998 I took it on a road trip to Italy for a wedding. On entering the country I pulled up at a petrol station and asked the attendant to fill it up with super.  He informed me that it wouldn't be available anywhere in the country. 

I expressed my surprise in no uncertain terms that the in the home of Ferrari you could only buy 95 ron. 

On my 88 miles round trip to work I get 2 mpg more from Momentum over Tesco cheapo, so it works out more economical to buy premium. It doesn't mean that all premium brands are better, it just means between tesco variants, there is a difference ("Every little helps").

Performance wise, yes it feels better. Is that a placebo? Maybe. 

Personally, my car feels much better on Esso super, which is around 10-15 pence more expensive than Momentum (probably near v-power price). Try a few different fuels and see what you prefer. I believe the ECU adjusts things as necessary to accommodate different octane levels.

Archived