Not using superunleaded.

mortzz

Having used the S as my daily for the last 4 months I can confirm it runs better with V Power / Tesco Momentum, doing around 1500 miles a month, tried 95 RON for a month and averaged 27 MPG, switched to 99 and on same types of journey car returned average of 31 MPG - majority of driving on dual carriageways and the M4, won’t say what speed but 6th gear and sat around 3200 RPM . In addition to increased MPG car runs more smoothly and I think it accelerates better but perhaps that’s a placebo affect..😬

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ECU via the knock sensor will retard the ignition on 95 compared to 98/99.

Therefore you will get more* power and better drive with premium.

*Unlikely you'll notice under normal driving conditions though.

I run Tesco Momentum as its only a few pence more a litre than regular and the car definitely runs better on it.

My first Boxster was very leggy when I bought it and it used to fire up on 4 or 5 cylinders, first thing in the morning on 95RON, during the winter. T99 and it would fire up fine.

It's been years since I last checked but when I have in the past it has always been approximately 10% extra mpg for 5% extra cost. 

Hmmm, looks like the jury is out on this one then, and there are no right or wrong answers.  I'm going to carry on with Tesco Momentum anyway. 

We use the Tesco Clubcard points to pay for Isle of Wight ferry tickets to visit my wife's family in Cowes a few times a year, so it all goes towards that anyway.  I had to laugh though, since I got the Boxster and Mrs P has got her MR2 Roadster, we have to hire a car to go over there, ha ha!

24 minutes ago, BTM520 said:

I have seen a few people on YouTube say that it can make your engine last longer by using higher RON fuels? Not looked deep into the science of that yet myself.

Personally I stay away from supermarket fuel as much as possible, I feel that V Power is the cleanest so use that. 

3 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

Personally I stay away from supermarket fuel as much as possible, I feel that V Power is the cleanest so use that. 

I would use V Power - and do when I can - but the nearest Shell garage to where I live is about an hours drive away :vmad:

So I use Tesco Momentum 99 in both my Boxster and Mini...

Just now, rowbos said:

I would use V Power - and do when I can - but the nearest Shell garage to where I live is about an hours drive away :vmad:

So I use Tesco Momentum 99 in both my Boxster and Mini...

I have used Momentum 99 as well - very similar to V Power, one can say that V power is "slightly" better, but tbh, under normal conditions - not much difference between the 2.

19 hours ago, usman10316 said:

I have used Momentum 99 as well - very similar to V Power, one can say that V power is "slightly" better, but tbh, under normal conditions - not much difference between the 2.

Performance wise similar but they they achieve the RON in different ways I believe. I'll try to dig up the info over the weekend for those who are interested. 

More ethanol in Momentum. At the end of the day I suspect that most of the standard 95 octane is probably from about 3 different refineries? Super/premium the same, but probably tweaked before it gets to the forecourt? I'm certainly placebo'd on Esso super 😂

On 11/23/2019 at 8:37 AM, ½cwt said:

Performance wise similar but they they achieve the RON in different ways I believe. I'll try to dig up the info over the weekend for those who are interested. 

These two extracts get somewhere near to the truth and explain the price difference.  One is laced with just ethanol which boosts octane testing performance, whereas the other has additional blended chemicals as well as a good octane testing result (and a whole load of marketing and F1 sponsorship to pay for to position it as a premium brand - too cynical?):

Tesco Momentum 99 fuel itself is a basic 95 RON unleaded fuel laced with bioethanol to a maximum of 5% by mass. Ethanol is very good at inhibiting pre-ignition so raising the Research Octane Number of the fuel to which it is added.

Shell V-Power contains cleaning and protective elements that both prevent the build up of carbon deposits in the intake valves and fuel injectors while cleaning any deposits that already exist.

Nothing totally definitive but bottom line is any performance engine will perform better with a higher octane fuel as it can advance ignition more to get a more powerful burn, otherwise why would there be specially blended racing fuel and very detail rules to govern it?  Fuel is also tested to get a MON or Motor Octane Number which is a similar lab test under slightly different condition, but I can't find any values for current fuels.  And then there is cetane rating for the fuel of the devil where you're looking for almost the opposite performance of petrol type fuels to get an improved combustion.

If you want more detailed explanations, or just a good snooze, try these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power

It's interesting in that some can't tell any difference in either performance or mpg between 95 and 99, and yet others do. 

Think I've posted this before, but worth a watch if you've not seen it....... 

I use vpower in my 986 as I do so few miles it’s not worth worrying about the cost.  In my daily (a Seat Ateca) I’ll probably just use vpower once a month for its cleaning properties.

40 minutes ago, topradio said:

Wasn't there a chap on here who used to work in the marketing dept for Shell (?) Who got the hump when we told him that their v power product was all hype. @Araf will remember. 

Not sure about that, but @plynchy used to work at the depots and said everyone filled from the same tanks (and had their own octane booster mixes) except Shell, who had their own storage on site.

Anyone else remember Formula Shell?  I think it was in the 80s and unfortunately it got removed from sale after cars were reporting burnt valves.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Wasn't there a chap on here who used to work in the marketing dept for Shell (?) Who got the hump when we told him that their v power product was all hype. @Araf will remember. 

That would have been TwinSpark

On 11/22/2019 at 1:02 PM, usman10316 said:

^^^ This..... for me, its not about the RON number its about the ethanol content and the additives. I choose to use Esso Super or V-Power when I can - when I can't I don't worry about it and use whatever I can get at the time.

Archived