Not using superunleaded.

mortzz

32 minutes ago, Paul P said:

for me, its not about the RON number its about the ethanol content and the additives.

How can you find out the ethanol content.? 

There is/was still one that had none. Might have been Gulf....... 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Momentum is now 6p more than standard - it used to be 5p.

I buy Momentum down south as the local price difference is considerable, I buy Vpower t'up Norvf as it is usually all I can find.  And at least 2p/ltr cheaper too.

I believe all fuels now have to have a minimum bio or ethanol content, 5% for petrol and 7% for diesel. You'll see E7 or E5 on the pump or nozzle. This is eco rather than performance related though. This might make older articles a bit misleading now.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I believe all fuels now have to have a minimum bio or ethanol content, 5% for petrol and 7% for diesel. You'll see E7 or E5 on the pump or nozzle. This is eco rather than performance related though. This might make older articles a bit misleading now.

Apparently Esso 97 is still ethanol free, despite the pumps being labelled e5. 

Not where I live though..... 

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

How can you find out the ethanol content.? 

There is/was still one that had none. Might have been Gulf....... 

Esso suprer is ethanol free unless you are in devon / cornwall and parts of scotland apparently.

4 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

A quick google says  tesco momentum contains 5% ethanol and Shell V power up to 5%. 

didn't realise Tesco was low - good to know - although there's not one anywhere near me - Morrisons or Sainsburys are the nearest.

Current situation is outlined below form the AA

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/biofuels

Looks as though fuel manufacturers can add up to 5% ethanol and not even state it but is 5% more have to state it and from Sunday (1 December) label the pumps E5 or B7 if they sell 450,000 litres or more. They are 'greener' if they use the renewable ethanol under the RTFO Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation structure, a bit like the various electricity suppliers 'buying' power from wind, solar etc under the Feed In Tariff which superseded the REGO or Renewable Energy Generation Obligation.

The article also refers to E10 in France which I guess will also come over here.  Remember the 4 star leaded to unleaded switch over?  Going to happen again.  I guess a 986 or 987 Boxster (981 and 718 may be???) is not E10 compatible.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Current situation is outlined below form the AA

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/biofuels

Looks as though fuel manufacturers can add up to 5% ethanol and not even state it but is 5% more have to state it and from Sunday (1 December) label the pumps E5 or B7 if they sell 450,000 litres or more. They are 'greener' if they use the renewable ethanol under the RTFO Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation structure, a bit like the various electricity suppliers 'buying' power from wind, solar etc under the Feed In Tariff which superseded the REGO or Renewable Energy Generation Obligation.

The article also refers to E10 in France which I guess will also come over here.  Remember the 4 star leaded to unleaded switch over?  Going to happen again.  I guess a 986 or 987 Boxster (981 and 718 may be???) is not E10 compatible.

interesting thought - I had assumed that higher ethanol content just made the fuel "nastier" - certainly in older vehicles (like the 40 year old honda 200 in 1000 bits in my garage) - it rots rubber and tends to attract water more than "normal" fuel -  but the general feeling is - if you are going to fill it, drive it and use it all up then it's probably ok.- but if its going to stand for a while then low ethanol is better. 

I don't think anyone has ever been proved wrong or right on this, and for most of us road usage - we would likely never notice the ecu dealing with lower RON, you might on a track day  etc.

But we all have our "religions" - low ethanol and a fuel that is 1) at the end of my road and 2) a "good" one is one of mine

12 hours ago, Paul P said:

But we all have our "religions" - low ethanol and a fuel that is 1) at the end of my road and 2) a "good" one is one of mine

Seems better than most other 'religions' on offer and probably sound motoring advice too!

I’ve been using V power Shell ever since I bought the car in 2010 works for me as I don’t use the car every day.

Regards,

Martin

6 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Stopped at Esso the other day - regular unleaded was 123.9 but the Super stuff was 142.9 - 19p a litre difference? that's the biggest i've seen for a while - and its not even at a motorway services

there was a day a few years ago that I inadvertently picked up the Super nozzle and then realised after I'd put half a tank in, it was 150p per litre!

normal UL was closer to 120p!

8 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

there was a day a few years ago that I inadvertently picked up the Super nozzle and then realised after I'd put half a tank in, it was 150p per litre!

normal UL was closer to 120p!

My local Shell 125.9 for 95, £138.9 for V Power.  13p/litre seems to be their price difference at other sites too which I can live with.  Are Esso taking the ….?

PCGB have an esso fuel card.  Gives a bit of discount on fuel. 

its “pushed” as 1p / litre on regular and 2p / litre on super  hr like DFS they always seem to have a “sale” on. Where it’s 2p and  5p cheaper discount.  

The card is free.  And it’s not tied to any refg number so the daily driver benefits from it as well.  Works well for me since esso is end of the road so is my goto station. Takes some of the sting out. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 10:55 PM, Paul P said:

PCGB have an esso fuel card.  Gives a bit of discount on fuel. 

its “pushed” as 1p / litre on regular and 2p / litre on super  hr like DFS they always seem to have a “sale” on. Where it’s 2p and  5p cheaper discount.  

The card is free.  And it’s not tied to any refg number so the daily driver benefits from it as well.  Works well for me since esso is end of the road so is my goto station. Takes some of the sting out. 

Didn’t know that will have to get mine

I definitely always run with high octane fuel but that's purely based on my own experience with calibration and control of more modern engines/fuel systems. The benefits of doing so are definitely tangible, but aren't always reflected in higher fuel efficiency or power output, so it can be hard to spot as a driver. It can only really be seen by digging into the vehicle log data

On 11/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, Shazbot said:

The ECU via the knock sensor will retard the ignition on 95 compared to 98/99.

Therefore you will get more* power and better drive with premium.

*Unlikely you'll notice under normal driving conditions though.

I run Tesco Momentum as its only a few pence more a litre than regular and the car definitely runs better on it.

Spot on Fella, I realised the ECU would retard the engine but its whether you can tell,  

Archived