982 4.0 GTS

JohnSyn

19 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Blinkin' flip,  hear that big bang? That was the sound of the 981 GTS prices falling through the floor - damn you Porsche, I thought I had a car for life!!!!!

I dont think it will , cost another £30k plus to change, people are already moaning about the cost of it. 🤣 Im not moaning, it  just more into secondhand 911 teritory than ever.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I dont think it will , cost another £30k plus to change, people are already moaning about the cost of it. 🤣 Im not moaning, it  just more into secondhand 911 teritory than ever.

I think the 718 4.0 price is pretty reasonable, relatively speaking.

Having priced a new basic 992 Carrera coupe at over £90k, with the S well over a £100k, now that is silly money!

I don't know why anyone would spend £75k on a 5 year old 911 GTS, when you can have a brand new highly specced 718 4.0 GTS for the same money, I just dont see the logic?

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I think the 718 4.0 price is pretty reasonable, relatively speaking.

Having priced a new basic 992 Carrera coupe at over £90k, with the S well over a £100k, now that is silly money!

I don't know why anyone would spend £75k on a 5 year old 911 GTS, when you can have a brand new highly specced 718 4.0 GTS for the same money, I just dont see the logic?

Nothing to do with logic as they are just 2 different cars.

Different cars yes, but very similar...

Maybe I should have said "rationale" or "thinking", buying cars is never about logic is it?!

10 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Nothing to do with logic as they are just 2 different cars.

22 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

4.6s vs 4.5s to 62 mph, is the only metric I can find of it being 'slower'.   

Also 1385 kilos vs 1405 kilos. Somehow suspect 20 kilos isn't the be all and end all of handling, and would be surprised if the chassis hasn't been tweaked with.

2.5ltr turbo with Chrono and PDK = 4.2secs v's 4.5secs manual 4.0ltr.  Also more torque at much lower revs 2.5ltr PDK 430Nm at 2000rpm-5000rpm v's 420Nm produced between 5000rpm and 6500rpm.  As I said - time will tell.

19 minutes ago, Waxy said:

Watch the value of 4 pot 718 GTS’s fall off a cliff. And there are quite a few approved  718 GTS’s for £70k+. Who in their right mind is going to buy that now?

I dont think there is enough of them out there for that to happen that badly?For the right price quite a few would be interested i would think? Could be a few bargains to be had?

I would think most on pcps so a drop in value is irrelevent?

If you could pick a year old up for £50k i know id smile and of course still available with pdk at the moment.

Yeh I suspect the unsold current GTS is going to be a hard sell, likely to be some significant discounts to be had.  I don’t think the existing GTS is going to maintain a huge premium over the S in the same way that the 981 GTS did/does.

new GTS looks fab (wish I could afford it!) I went through the configurator and I don’t think there are too many essential options, if you can do without the fancy interior options (which I could) then my spec came out under £70k with just 2.5k of options. The latest cars do include a number of things the 981 didn’t (Bluetooth, SatNav etc)

10 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Yeah, that's just silly. :blush2: 

11 hours ago, Graham W said:

2.5ltr turbo with Chrono and PDK = 4.2secs v's 4.5secs manual 4.0ltr.  Also more torque at much lower revs 2.5ltr PDK 430Nm at 2000rpm-5000rpm v's 420Nm produced between 5000rpm and 6500rpm.  As I said - time will tell.

Just noticed you have a 718 S PDK.

Your statements make a lot more sense now. Carry on... :)

The 718S Is undoubtedly a quick car and there is more to come after a re-map. Having a 981S and another type of drive (1,8 Toyota something or other,) it really depends on what you want out of a drive. There was far too much made over the exhaust and 'supposed' turbo lag (just re-calibrate the driving) of the 4 pot. Other marques would have just got on and driven their cars and had fun!  Just drive and have ....................FUN

Saying that I wouldn't say no to a 718 GTS 👍👍

I think the piston heads footnote article on the new GTS 4.0 is spot on and basically what I have been saying since the 718 was launched and more latterly since strong rumours that Porsche would backtrack on NA engines for the 718’s...........

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/blog/the-porsche-718-gts-bombshell--ph-footnote/41676

Evidence of Porsche already offering 20-25% off pre reg low mileage (<100 mile) loaded 4 pots which is unheard of.......I also think a lot of 981 owners who where not interested in the 718 will not jump seats (I already have 2 mates who have put orders in).......

As the article says, if your not bothered about the noise or FI power delivery from a small block then there will be bargains to be had.........981 GTS prices have to drop as it won’t be the last NA engine.......a big part of the reason I offloaded mine last summer when the rumours firmed up........the 981 GTS is still one of the best sports cars you can buy....but they will get a little cheaper now you can “de configure” the 4 pots lol

14 hours ago, Jonttt said:

981 GTS prices have to drop as it won’t be the last NA engine

I think they might soften slightly but I can’t see a drop off a cliff, as said earlier there’s still going to be a near £30k price differential between a 981GtS and a new 718GTS but inevitably it will encourage a few 981GTS owners to update and potentially a few more 981GTS available.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, mneil said:

Will be interesting to see who is the first person to have one remapped; after all it's only 20 ps down on the  GT4 version and so much cheaper

What puzzles me a bit is that the new 4.0 GTS engine still has lower torque than the 991 3.8?

2 hours ago, tcornet said:

JCR developments have an exhaust for the 4.0, sounds awesome 

https://www.jcr-developments.com/

This is what I was referring to in another post.  I've been impressed by what I've heard in the YT videos.  I just wonder how it sounds in real life.  

718 GTS 4.0 exhausts (also fit the GT4 and 718 Spyder, which have the same OEM stock sports exhaust):-

https://www.jcr-developments.com/porsche/product-category/718-gts-spyder-gts4.0

The US zorsts don't have the particle filter, thus will sound better.

If you want the 20 bhp the Spyder has, fit the Porsche Cup Exhaust - and still keep your warranty intact. 

was at the OPC today for something else and asked about 718 GTS 4.0 availability

answer is no allocations given to dealers yet - they're expecting restricted numbers but no confirmed numbers at all yet.

21 hours ago, Patt said:

The US zorsts don't have the particle filter, thus will sound better.

If you want the 20 bhp the Spyder has, fit the Porsche Cup Exhaust - and still keep your warranty intact. 

I’m no expert but the YouTube videos seems to be filmed in UK 

Best news I've heard in a long time! :rocks:Once again Porsche listen to customer feedback and sentiment.

Congratulations on getting an early order in @RBD914 v2 Are you able to share your build code?

Archived