New Boxster

StephenM

Bit shocked today, was having a good clean and wondered why the foam from the drivers side floor mat was broken at the top and looked like it had glue or something on the rear, when I looked at the carpet it became clear that at some stage some one had stuck the floor mat in place with super glue !! Can you get glue off carpet ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Discovered that one of the sill bungs was missing, there seem to be 4 either side

nQNXq7Z.jpg

I can recommend Porsche Colchester as they got the right ones to fit which arrived today, this is a picture of one of the existing ones which seem to be covered in paint?

geinPMr.jpg

Can anyone tell me please what these bungs are for and if they should be covered in paint?

37 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Discovered that one of the sill bungs was missing, there seem to be 4 either side

nQNXq7Z.jpg

I can recommend Porsche Colchester as they got the right ones to fit which arrived today, this is a picture of one of the existing ones which seem to be covered in paint?

geinPMr.jpg

Can anyone tell me please what these bungs are for and if they should be covered in paint?

Presumably drainage. Mine also painted.

• 6 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 7:48 AM, Davey P said:

If you think the car is magnificent now, wait until you've owned it for a bit longer... It gets better and better mate :thumbsup_anim:

My suggestion for the roof would be to sell it, and put the money towards maintenance costs, which can be a bit steep if you're unlucky (ask me how I know.... :lol:)

Love the red paintwork, and it's quite unusual to see one of these with such low mileage.  Enjoy it, and welcome to the forum.

Can you outline your maintenance costs? I'd to know what to expect. Is yours very low mileage?

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

Can you outline your maintenance costs? I'd to know what to expect. Is yours very low mileage?

Problem is mileage or not unless it has been absolutely cosseted that rubbers etc will be 15 years old or more and when you come to take some bits apart like suspension that are steel in alloy, they tend to have seized together which can cause some grief.  Rule of thumb first year or so around £1k on fixing bits on top of normal running costs like service tax insurance MOT.  Unfortunately some of these cars get moved on when there is a big bill pending, say clutch or 4 tyres or brakes or deteriorating suspension rubbers.

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Problem is mileage or not unless it has been absolutely cosseted that rubbers etc will be 15 years old or more and when you come to take some bits apart like suspension that are steel in alloy, they tend to have seized together which can cause some grief.  Rule of thumb first year or so around £1k on fixing bits on top of normal running costs like service tax insurance MOT.  Unfortunately some of these cars get moved on when there is a big bill pending, say clutch or 4 tyres or brakes or deteriorating suspension rubbers.

Tyres, brakes & pipework are obvious expenses. We have to assume those will need renewing, especially on a 15 yr old car. Davey's note sounded like a salutary warning. I wondered what surprises had chastened him.

I think Davey bought the first car he saw, without a pre-purchase inspection, then had it inspected and agreed to most things they suggested.

He now has an excellent car and a relaxed attitude, but a depleted bank account. Other people would have chosen a different way of financial management :) 

It is a point of view that all these cars cost much the same amount of money, it only depends when you spend it, sooner or later :) 

30 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I think Davey bought the first car he saw, without a pre-purchase inspection, then had it inspected and agreed to most things they suggested.

He now has an excellent car and a relaxed attitude, but a depleted bank account. Other people would have chosen a different way of financial management :) 

This ^ is pretty much what happened, because I wanted to get the car up to a decent reliable standard.  It's well documented on here, but I spent just over £4K in the first month or two, with a full major service, a set of N rated Goodyear tyres, battery, and all coolant pipes and hoses replaced.  Since then I've hardly spent a penny on it, apart from filling up with super unleaded every few weeks, and I had an interim Mobil 1 oil change when it was MOT'd, not because it needed it, but I just don't think 2 years in between oil changes is a good idea, even if that is the service schedule.

Since the initial expenditure, the car has been utterly reliable, it doesn't use a drop of oil or water, and it still manages to put a smile on my face every single time I drive it.  I'm not sure you can put a price on that.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Since the initial expenditure, the car has been utterly reliable, it doesn't use a drop of oil or water, and it still manages to put a smile on my face every single time I drive it.  I'm not sure you can put a price on that.

Yet you want to trade it for a Cayman you ungrateful B'stard. 😂

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

Oh yes, because that would put an even bigger smile on my face every time I drove it :lol:

Then the sun comes out and you start searching for a tin opener. Once you've had a good convertible there's no way back.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:45 PM, McDonald said:

I bought mine with 23k on the clock and I had the crossover pipes done by a Porsche independent which was about £800 from memory, the it needed a good service which I did myself, I changed the oil, filters, brake fluid, spark plugs and I changed the coil packs which came to about £400 in parts, then I needed to replace the front air con radiators which including the re-charge came to about £200 but I did that myself to, so again just parts.  So all up about £1,400 ish.  I read somewhere on here that you need to allow at least about £2k when you buy one to bring them up to a good condition.

2 hours ago, StephenM said:

I bought mine with 23k on the clock and I had the crossover pipes done by a Porsche independent which was about £800 from memory, the it needed a good service which I did myself, I changed the oil, filters, brake fluid, spark plugs and I changed the coil packs which came to about £400 in parts, then I needed to replace the front air con radiators which including the re-charge came to about £200 but I did that myself to, so again just parts.  So all up about £1,400 ish.  I read somewhere on here that you need to allow at least about £2k when you buy one to bring them up to a good condition.

Yes - about £2k is what a lot of people say - spent around £1300 on my 07 SE in the 2 years I have had her, some of the work advisory and would have been ok for another year or two but would rather get her all sorted - all work carried out by CPS so would have been less if I was capable of doing anything myself - work has included a front suspension refresh ( coil springs top mounts bump stops drop links etc ) - both front track rod ends - ignition barrel, door lock , window regulator - pair of front tyres and a replacement punctured rear, gearbox oil change and service - she is the only Porsche I will ever be able to afford and will be kept until she goes pop - so I get Lee to change the oil every year as well and do the brake fluid every two years etc. 

This all makes sense to me. Any enthusiast will admire these cars and want to bring them up to fine condition. If you've been sensible in choosing your car, it probably didn't need too much doing or else you bought with rectification budgeted in. Mine has been serviced to within an inch of its life, but front & back bumpers both need attention. That's been quoted at £720.00. I'm having a paintless repair to the off side wing sorted for £75 + vat. I know that one air-con radiator is suspect so that'll get fixed before summer. I'll have it detailed too, to make subsequent cleaning easier and more rewarding. None of this expense is necessary but it'll be a pleasure to put everything right.  

On 5/18/2020 at 8:23 PM, StephenM said:

Evening all,

I have just agreed to buy a new ( to me) Boxster and comes with a hard top. 

If you decide to sell the hardtop, I'd be interested in buying it. As long as it fits my 2005 987.

Archived