New Boxster

StephenM

12 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Also the brakes are not great so I checked the brake fluid and the metre said it needs replacing - hopefully that’s all it is?

The brakes n Porsches are always under-assisted meaning they need more pressure than you may be used to - shocked me when I got mine going from BMW. New disks and pads all round is under £300 DIY - I chose Brembo. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Air-con is a common problem - I think it cost about £1500 to fully get mine working when I had it. People have said about £500 for the condensers, but the other problem is that all the pipework suffers pinpr*cking (expecting that to get censored!!). From what I understand you'll struggle to get that fixed at the moment as Porsche are shut - my indy had to wait for the parts to come in... is it worth doing? for summer, possibly not, but if you're going to be using this for a winter car then I think it's worth it. But you deffo need those heated seats if you are! I'll never have another car without them now!

Brakes - I paid about £500 for disks and pads on all 4 corners, fitted by my indy.

I'm sure you know about other common problems... there's loads on here already if you don't.

PASM - when it's off your ride is softer than a non-PASM car. When it's on, you need to go and getting your fillings fixed and your spine sorted. On the UK roads, I found this unusable, ok on the continent though! I expect it would be good on a track day too (didn't do this). Oh, and I think your standard ride height is lowered by 10mm or so.

Thanks all for the compliments and advice it is really appreciated.  I am already really loving this car, it just drives so increadble and gives you such a great feeling.  I can honestly say this is the best car I have ever owned.

21 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Could anyone advise please the best place to buy parts, I need two new rear number plate lights?

Always worth ringing your local OPC (Porsche Dealer) first for a price as they are often the cheapest for parts. They give a 10% discount if you are a member of PCGB. They might even give you that if you just ask if your spending a few quid. People sell Porsche parts on ebay at way over the price from OPC. The  plate lamps you can get just about anywhere.

If he doesn’t already have them worth investing in a set of Zunsport grilles for the front - they just click on and stop stones flicking up and damaging the rads and stop all the leaves and road debris getting in there, which if left to rot will cause you problems - there is a BoXa.net discount code somewhere on here for them or just ring them direct and say you’re on BoXa.net - makes a heck of a difference to the look of the car.

22 hours ago, CAZ said:

If he doesn’t already have them worth investing in a set of Zunsport grilles for the front - they just click on and stop stones flicking up and damaging the rads and stop all the leaves and road debris getting in there, which if left to rot will cause you problems - there is a BoXa.net discount code somewhere on here for them or just ring them direct and say you’re on BoXa.net - makes a heck of a difference to the look of the car.

There are some on eBay at about £116 is that the ones? Think I need to sort out the pipes that feed them first had a look earlier And looks like there are some problems I will post a picture soon

22 minutes ago, StephenM said:

There are some on eBay at about £116 is that the ones? Think I need to sort out the pipes that feed them first had a look earlier And looks like there are some problems I will post a picture soon

I have a discount code for Zunsport, as have others so don't pay full price if buying.

12 hours ago, StephenM said:

Buy direct from zunsport.com and use code PC092015 for 20% discount.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:51 AM, Rob™ said:

I think it cost about £1500 to fully get mine working when I had it.

Just seen a receipt - had the coil packs done at the same time, so not that much!!

Thank you all for your very kind advice.

I would also like your opinion on the rear lights, I love they are red but (and I noticed this when buying) the interior of the top part of the light appears to becomming delaminated? is there a solution any one can offer please?

QyKcEQ8.jpg

5Eo5rfu.jpg

Quite a common problem, just age and sun damage seems to make them delaminate, or the clear plastic crazes. On mine the lens also started coming away from the case, I noticed water getting in when I washed the car.

Quite easy to change, just 3 or 4 bolts behind the plastic trim int he boot and one connector.

They are about £250 each new, but used ones often come up on Ebay, and you can get various LED alternatives these days also:

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt70_192_-cma81-cmo82/Porsche/Boxster-986-987-981/Indicators-Rear/

On 5/26/2020 at 8:11 PM, StephenM said:

Thank you all for your very kind advice.

I would also like your opinion on the rear lights, I love they are red but (and I noticed this when buying) the interior of the top part of the light appears to becomming delaminated? is there a solution any one can offer please?

QyKcEQ8.jpg

5Eo5rfu.jpg

You can buy spray tint. Just Google red lens paint - available on Amazon, ECP etc etc. Got to be the cheapest option to try before replacing them.

Yes I think the red tint spray may help but I think I would flat the peels with some 2000 wet and dry first.

Another more permanent solution is to rub the peeling areas down with 2000 wet and dry. Rub the whole light down with a scotch brite and then lacquer the whole light out with 2k lacquer tinted with candy apple red. You would need to put several light coats just on the peeling area, then once you were happy it had blended in lacquer the whole light out.

The biggest problem either way is trying to blend the peeling patch in.

44 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes I think the red tint spray may help but I think I would flat the peels with some 2000 wet and dry first.

Another more permanent solution is to rub the peeling areas down with 2000 wet and dry. Rub the whole light down with a scotch brite and then lacquer the whole light out with 2k lacquer tinted with candy apple red. You would need to put several light coats just on the peeling area, then once you were happy it had blended in lacquer the whole light out.

The biggest problem either way is trying to blend the peeling patch in.

This may be a silly question but how do I get to the inside of the light to repaint them please?

I'm sure when I looked into the cost of these they are cheaper to buy direct from opc rather than the porsche shops. I thought they were about 150 each from opc, definitely worth a try!!

1 hour ago, jimmy p said:

I'm sure when I looked into the cost of these they are cheaper to buy direct from opc rather than the porsche shops. I thought they were about 150 each from opc, definitely worth a try!!

It’s in my ‘to do’ list. OPC is cheapest by quite a way on these. 

it’s a common issue and the ones on my 2008 are crazed/peeled on the inside.

@jimmy p  and @EagleStar I will try OPC To get their price as you suggest , I see there are some red ones on eBay for about £210 each or Design 911 have an LED set for £338 at the moment.

I also need to replace my condensers which I see AUTODOC have a huge range start at about £25 each and going up to over £200 each, is there any advice of which make to head for or how much to spend on these please? I plan to do this job myself so I will buy the o ring seals direct from OPC.

Not too sure about the condensers although I’m sure someone else on here will be able to advise.

I would imagine, like most parts, you get what you pay for though. I wouldn’t go with the cheapest option!

12 hours ago, StephenM said:

@jimmy p  and @EagleStar I will try OPC To get their price as you suggest , I see there are some red ones on eBay for about £210 each or Design 911 have an LED set for £338 at the moment.

I also need to replace my condensers which I see AUTODOC have a huge range start at about £25 each and going up to over £200 each, is there any advice of which make to head for or how much to spend on these please? I plan to do this job myself so I will buy the o ring seals direct from OPC.

I replaced my condensers two years ago, still perfect, from coolpartsuk through ebay. Worth replacing the drier as well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272858502690

Archived