Battery

Dazzevans

My alarm randomly went off last night at around 2100. Thankfully I managed to get the door open so I tried to start the car. Flat battery. Stuck the c-tech on overnight and by the morning it was charged. I’ve been driving it at the weekends and a couple of days here and there during the week so I’m surprised that it was flat. In preparation for a possible battery change I ask you kind fellows what brands you’re all using. Thanks in advance. 

They are and you get the same period of 4 or 5 year warranty depending on spec. Just search the spec or part number on different sites for the best price. GSF was cheaper than Tayna when I bought. 

Replaced  Bosch batteries on son's Golf and Dad's Merc with Yuasa. They are good batteries and no issues. 

GSF have 60% discount codes at the moment

I’ve used Varta batteries since the early 90’s when I had a 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS, found the battery last a couple of years I think it was an exide. Then I bought an Airflow battery charged plugged into the cigarette lighter, i’ve been using it ever since. 

I sold the 308 in 2010 and bought my Boxster 3.2S in 2010, when the battery failed I bought a Varta still on the car with the Airflow charger. 

Regards,

Martin

Do you know how old that battery is?

years ago this board recommended Bosch but think I saw somewhere the quality has dropped?? And now you get the conglomerates, Bosch owned Varta but Varta were a bit cheaper for the same length guarantee...

Anyway I bought a Norauto (French Halfords) and it's lasted 7 years so far, despite only a 3 year guarantee! I don't use the car much - 2k per year - so I wonder how much it helps that it's usually plugged into a solar maintainer, as much as the label on the top.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Do you know how old that battery is?

years ago this board recommended Bosch but think I saw somewhere the quality has dropped?? And now you get the conglomerates, Bosch owned Varta but Varta were a bit cheaper for the same length guarantee...

Anyway I bought a Norauto (French Halfords) and it's lasted 7 years so far, despite only a 3 year guarantee! I don't use the car much - 2k per year - so I wonder how much it helps that it's usually plugged into a solar maintainer, as much as the label on the top.

I'd say the solar maintainer would defo have helped. 

It would also be useful in the UK, it could act as a marker buoy to find the car with all the rain we've been having :snorkle:

On 10/14/2020 at 8:40 PM, red rocket said:

We often see flat batteries as the weather turns cold. I have an Exide. Check out Tayna Batteries in Wales for a  selection.

Got an exide from Tayna for my citroen. They recommended bosch but the exide was cheaper, had more cranking amps and more hours of juice in it. Been spot on so far.

2 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Got an exide from Tayna for my citroen. They recommended bosch but the exide was cheaper, had more cranking amps and more hours of juice in it. Been spot on so far.

Only caveat would be don't let them fleece you for return costs in the event you have to send a defective battery back under warranty. They tried it on with me until i pointed them to contract law (good old Google!).

As someone who has worked for motor factors for 20 years , my experience would say dont buy any cheap and cheerful batteries with a 1 or or 2 year warranty as they contain less lead and will fail ( there is a market for them for sales cars ) anything from Bosch, Exide, Napa, Platinum, Yuasa , Oldham Banner with a minimum 3 year warranty will do the job, just buy the cheapest, as long as the car electronics are doing what they should be then the battery will last but bear in mind anything on a car draining the battery will affect its performance , any alternator that overcharges very slightly will kill a cell in a battery. A car battery is the easiest thing to blame for other faults on a car. 

Most batteries are changed under warranty with no quibble as its hard to tell a customer the battery is not a fault, I once asked a battery supplier for info on returns rates as i was concerned the no quibble warranty was being abused ( Despite being no quibble the supplier tests every battery returned ) The supplier sells around 6 million batteries a year , 40,000 in a year were returned under warranty, 80% returned were no fault found , 10% found with sulfation ( battery not fully charging between uses ) 8 % of batteries showing signs of overcharge and only 2% as pure warranties 

Of course this only relates to traditional Lead batteries, any newish cars with AGM batteries then it is a complete kettle of fish

Archived