Electric 986

bally4563

Good article in last months 911 and Porsche world, 986 fitted with a Tesla Motor . 0-60 3.3 secs !!!! Downside at present with the batteries he has used only has a range of 60 miles

36 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Which is cost more (on the free market) - that or a 30th Anniversary restoration :D 

And the CFA alternative...

11 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Good article in last months 911 and Porsche world, 986 fitted with a Tesla Motor . 0-60 3.3 secs !!!! Downside at present with the batteries he has used only has a range of 60 miles

I sold my previous bumper to a gay making an electric 986.... 

8 hours ago, JonSta said:

That silly vintage voltage programme they've done a 308 ( Ferrari not Peugeot....) and a Lancia Fulvia. There ought to be a law.....

Look on it as a spare engine for another 308, which might otherwise be scrapped. :) 

Seriously, I'd love a resto-mod with electric power for the commute. :blush2: 

On 1/10/2021 at 8:46 PM, Araf said:

Look on it as a spare engine for another 308, which might otherwise be scrapped. :) 

Seriously, I'd love a resto-mod with electric power for the commute. :blush2: 

Short commute! Might as well cycle and get some health benefit and still have £60k in your pocket!

11 hours ago, Mr96er said:

For years I’ve thought ev 986 would be the best of the future. Stand by that even now. Even if the whole frunk was batteries to give it 400 mile range. 

1 hour ago, Clivescoobydo said:

That would handle well lol

And I suspect you wouldn't get 400 miles even with frunk and boot full.

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You guys haven’t accounted for the rapid developments in battery technology. This is a conversation about possible future developments. Bet in the next 5 years we see significant size and weight reductions and/or extended range. 

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You guys haven’t accounted for the rapid developments in battery technology. This is a conversation about possible future developments. Bet in the next 5 years we see significant size and weight reductions and/or extended range. 

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

I don't doubt the tech will improve, more likely in charge density rather than weight as the technology to solve the weight will be very high end vehicles to start and is 5+ years away to be production ready as there are few if any working prototypes running at scale.  Lightweight batteries for a price that would make a retro fit even vaguely feasible with a lot of man maths, I'd go with 10 years.  Bear in mind we'll likely be paying some form of usage charge by to make up for lost fuel duty revenue, so the economics may be even more hazy.

I've been thinking and actually started a company a while ago to start to offer conversion kits to enthusiasts for all manner of classic vehicle. Then the thinking went to - "What will happen to all the current cars on the road" they could do with being converted too".

At the time, i couldnt get my hands on batteries and hear from my collegues that it is still near impossible to compete with the large scale battery buyers. If you are not buying in bulk (millions of units) you dont get any discount. A basic conversion kit was coming in at around £50k and to me that was out of the league of a home mechanic wanting to convert an old Aston and didnt appeal to someone with a Seirra Cosworth or Renault 5.

I gave up in the end, but have seen companies like ECC who are converting cars and making profit. A lot of fabrication work mind you and I am sure that the new drive train and weight distribution takes away from the feeling of driving an old MG or Ferarri. I might just be old and grumpy though......

Didn't Musk do this with his car that's currently orbiting the planet, at least in terms of handling?  And the new one coming out?

The driving range for the first was supposedly about 230 miles - obviously not in "exciting" mode but we know Boxsters don't do 30 mpg in "exciting" mode either.

Musk used his own Lotus Elise as a basis and made the first Tesla. Fast, granted, but i am sure that the handling was comprimised. When the aliens finally get hold of it i look forward to thier very own review of just how heavy it all is.

1324kg according to this page - much the same as a Cayman of the same year.  Some lap times are listed too, as a proxy for the handling.

https://fastestlaps.com/models/tesla-roadster 

He didn't make just one - I even photographed an orange one in Lisbon...

Edit - OK found this, Boxster was notably faster round a track - never heard of that track, don't know if it's straight or twisty etc.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/mr5mhkdaocsd 

10 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Never going to be the same without the flat 6 howl....

That's the same for lots of things. Imagine we never had the internal combustion engine... All we had was electric. Wonder what would attract us sound wise... The sound of the window opening?

Archived