Gonna look at my first 987.2 this weekend, any final tips ?

Medic-one

20 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

I take it that's a common problem with these roofs ?

Yes, it is, there is scope to put more tension in the elastic by design, however there comes a point when the elastic needs to be replaced. That car is in the increased tension age bracket, no worries.

23 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

Cheers, that's very handy!

I did mine with staples having tried to sew the elastic. At some point i just decided it wasn't worth my elemantary sewing skills and purchased a heavy duty stapler with staples from Amazon. 

Have loads of the elastic left over, so If you do buy, drop me a PM and I will post some to you free of charge 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Inquisitive forum member inquiry...... 

when does the car go in to have the battery drain issue looked at? - keen to understand what that problem was ( all knowledge good ). Hope its soon and you get the car in your hands in the shortest possible time..

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Inquisitive forum member inquiry...... 

when does the car go in to have the battery drain issue looked at? - keen to understand what that problem was ( all knowledge good ). Hope its soon and you get the car in your hands in the shortest possible time..

It's in now! I'm at work waiting for an update. If all goes well I can pick it up on Friday! I'm nervous and excited at the same time! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

So Porsche rang the previous owner late this afternoon and said "they found a problem but they've not managed to get to the source of it yet. However everything has been reset and they're leaving it on the computer overnight". 

Not sure why it needs to be overnight, but then I don't know anything about car electronics. 

Current owner said he's not had any more battery/starting issue's since I went to view the car 2 weeks ago, and that he has been measuring the voltage every day and that's it's been fine every day, so hopefully we get the all clear tomorrow and I can still pick it up on friday! 🤞🤞  

6 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

So Porsche rang the previous owner late this afternoon and said "they found a problem but they've not managed to get to the source of it yet. However everything has been reset and they're leaving it on the computer overnight". 

Not sure why it needs to be overnight, but then I don't know anything about car electronics. 

Current owner said he's not had any more battery/starting issue's since I went to view the car 2 weeks ago, and that he has been measuring the voltage every day and that's it's been fine every day, so hopefully we get the all clear tomorrow and I can still pick it up on friday! 🤞🤞  

The boxster has various subsystems that close down over time.  

the most obvious is turn it off and lock it. 

20 mins later sone bits go to sleep.  (Ciggy lighter) and some other subsystems. 

also there’s a cycle for engine compartment fans and whatever  

I think there is then another further shutdown after a couple of hours (don’t know what goes quiet then )

then there is a 7 day shutdown of the the remote door opening receiver

i think the overnight thing is just to check that everything sleeps.  

if you Google for “pocom Porsche” there’s a diag tool that has a whole section on “what drains the battery”. I can’t find the link on my phone at the moment but it makes sense. 

sounds like you have a hard call.  If they haven’t fixed anything then if you buy it then it’s your problem.  All I can offer is 

1) this forum will help if they can

2) I am in north Kent and I have the Porsche diags kit - rank amateur but if it comes to it happy to plug in and try stuff if it helps. 

goid luck. Excited for you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

The boxster has various subsystems that close down over time.  

the most obvious is turn it off and lock it. 

20 mins later sone bits go to sleep.  (Ciggy lighter) and some other subsystems. 

also there’s a cycle for engine compartment fans and whatever  

I think there is then another further shutdown after a couple of hours (don’t know what goes quiet then )

then there is a 7 day shutdown of the the remote door opening receiver

i think the overnight thing is just to check that everything sleeps.  

if you Google for “pocom Porsche” there’s a diag tool that has a whole section on “what drains the battery”. I can’t find the link on my phone at the moment but it makes sense. 

sounds like you have a hard call.  If they haven’t fixed anything then if you buy it then it’s your problem.  All I can offer is 

1) this forum will help if they can

2) I am in north Kent and I have the Porsche diags kit - rank amateur but if it comes to it happy to plug in and try stuff if it helps. 

goid luck. Excited for you. 

That's very kind of you Paul, thank you very much. What a great little community this is!

25 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

That's very kind of you Paul, thank you very much. What a great little community this is!

That’s true.  Huge egos, tons of enthusiasm, lots of knowledge, a predilection to sarcasm but a genuine spirit of “let’s help you enjoy it”. 

when you get it remember there are no stupid questions   

3 hours ago, Medic-one said:

My money is on the tracker (if it has one fitted)....

So Porsche thinks it's either the PCM or the heater unit, but stated that the battery has been fine now, and especially if it's gonna go on a CTEK when not it use it shouldn't give any problems. 

Previous owner noticed some stains on the heater unit when he bought it, very likely from coffee spilled from the cup holders and bought a replacement one of Ebay when he first had this problem, and he had a sparky look at and 'fix' the PCM, so if either the heater was faulty or the PCM wasn't repaired then that would explain why it's still likely one of those. 

He's knocked £ 750, of the price, which should help sort out the problem if it was to come up again, but hopefully al is well for now, and I can finally pick it up tomorrow! 🙌

1 minute ago, Medic-one said:

So Porsche thinks it's either the PCM or the heater unit, but stated that the battery has been fine now, and especially if it's gonna go on a CTEK when not it use it shouldn't give any problems. 

Previous owner noticed some stains on the heater unit when he bought it, very likely from coffee spilled from the cup holders and bought a replacement one of Ebay when he first had this problem, and he had a sparky look at and 'fix' the PCM, so if either the heater was faulty or the PCM wasn't repaired then that would explain why it's still likely one of those. 

He's knocked £ 750, of the price, which should help sort out the problem if it was to come up again, but hopefully al is well for now, and I can finally pick it up tomorrow! 🙌

Part of me says I'd want that sorted but it's your money, your rules and I'm very pleased for you that you're picking it up tomorrow. 

I hope it all works out and please post some of own pics with Imgur/Flickr etc

• Like 1