Porsche Classic Membership

Rav

The scheme seems to depend on how good your local coordinator is, the lady at Porsche Colchester is very good, badges turned up within a day or so (although I’ve not had key rings) she also emailed the parts department for my number plate surrounds and I collected them when I was there. 
The centrally supplied stuff does take time and arrives when it arrives but I have had the magazine (book) through the post along with membership card for my 993, still waiting on the one for my Boxster but it’s only been a month or so.

21 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Anyone want to set up a Wanted thread for badge colours? “Have pink, willing to swap with green or red….”

(Guessing there’s no orange?)

Have zero badges... would be happy with any colour! :D 

37 minutes ago, Alan36 said:

Do you have to go to the dealership to register or can a phone call sort it?

2 phone calls to Leeds OPC didn't work... even though they said it was done but it only got sorted in person. 

10 hours ago, Everywhen said:

Collected front and rear number plate holders from OPC this morning. 

Was told I get the “other stuff” when the car is booked in for a service. Which is not going to happen.

Not quite sure which 'other stuff' the dealers provide once you are registered other than the grille badge and 4 free wash and vacs a year.

Finally received my 'pack' yesterday - very fancy Black box containing nothing more than a load of foam padding, a tiny booklet and a membership card.  I am seriously underwhelmed!  I see mentions on here of badges (which i have seen on display at the OPC), keyring etc but there's no mention of them in the booklet.

Based on my own experience and on the comments on this thread I get the impression that the OPC’s see the Classic Register as a burden and something they’d rather not be bothered with just for the sale of a few parts to owners of old cars who are very unlikely to drop £150k on a new 911 GTS or take their 25yr old car for a service. 

I always get the impression they think I’m cluttering up the showroom and making the place look untidy when I collect any parts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

Based on my own experience and on the comments on this thread I get the impression that the OPC’s see the Classic Register as a burden and something they’d rather not be bothered with just for the sale of a few parts to owners of old cars who are very unlikely to drop £150k on a new 911 GTS or take their 25yr old car for a service. 

I always get the impression they think I’m cluttering up the showroom and making the place look untidy when I collect any parts.

Hang around long enough and they might eventually take you seriously.  Silverstone Porsche gave me a Taycan test drive the other week even though I was quite clear there was no chance of me buying one; then again they've got lots of those sitting around doing nothing at the moment.  Some of the team there are quite happy to have a petrolhead chat too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Definitely seems to depend on the individual OPC, if not the staff member. 

Absolutely! The parts staff are pretty good and seem genuinely interested in the work I’m doing on the car. Not so much the other staff who are just “professionally pleasant”. Access to the tech staff is just not possible.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

That has always been my experience (Mid Sussex Porsche). There's sometimes a barely veiled contempt for older low value Porsches). I recall one workshop manager saying that they will service/repair old Porsches but over several weeks, because they fit the work around their normal clientele. The notion is they are doing us a favour.

I understand that Caymans are now on the classic list (how ridiculous is that) so I'll take Ashleigh along and see how long it takes to get a result. If it's anything like the battle I had with Bambi, it could be a long time!

55 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

OPC Portsmouth have always been very friendly when I drop in. They do, of course, quote nonsense prices for repairs eg. £5,700 to replace the exhaust - but that's just part of a premium marque.

The coffee's good & so many lovely toys on show.

I finally received my little black box containing the membership card and booklet. No sign of any classic number plate surrounds or anything else.

I first registered with OPC Mid Sussex in April, so 'only' took 5 months... (and that was only because I chased them).

Edited by WhatSheSaid

• 3 weeks later...