Centre Gravity

bally4563

I can concur. Circa. £350 was what I paid

Calibration drive and report
▪ Inspect all suspension systems and components including dampers, springs, bushes and ball joints ▪ Preload car with weight
▪ Tyre data check and adjust
▪ Ride height check
▪ Geometry check and adjust
▪ Customer test drive check and handover
▪ Before and after tyre report
▪ Before and after geometry check and report

Total £350.00

This was September last year.

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

I can concur. Circa. £350 wascc BC what I paid

Calibration drive and report
▪ Inspect all suspension systems and components including dampers, springs, bushes and ball joints ▪ Preload car with weight
▪ Tyre data check and adjust
▪ Ride height check
▪ Geometry check and adjust
▪ Customer test drive check and handover
▪ Before and after tyre report
▪ Before and after geometry check and report

Total £350.00

This was September last year.

Thanks, ouch!!!

Nothing like a proper job but if you know your tyres are OK and you know you don't have any worn out components then you can get an awful lot of hunters for that price. OK CG might get it a gnat's closer to perfect but would you really tell the difference from the driver's seat? They do health check days for a fixed price but I think they put them on hold when covid started. Maybe they'll start them again soon.

17 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I paid 350 back in March so can concur @r1flyguy. Honestly it's worth the money and in hindsight it'll be far better to have 1 cg alignment than 3 random garages trying to get it right... Ask me how I know 😉

Totally agree, I've had 4 of my cars set up by them and my current 'new car' is due to be set up by them in September. Great people and very knowledgeable 

• Thanks 1

CG know their Porsches pretty well. The value you get from them is not in dropping it off and asking them to do an alignment then picking it up later, after all anybody could do that, but where they really lift themselves above the norm is a consultation/discussion call it what you want with you about what you like or don't like about the current set up, handling traits you notice, how you want the car to handle, what type of driving or roads you use, etc. They tailor things to you.

As you get to know your car you will always think of or find another piece you like or dislike so you can end up having numerous alignment sessions. 

If you just want it to factory spec then quite honestly CG isn't probably for you. 

There are other places that may do similar sorts of things but I've no experience of them. 

For me I've had my current car for 7+ years now and had maybe 2+ alignments with CG. I had maybe 2 or 3 with my previous Boxster. I'm at the point now where I'm fairly comfortable knowing what I like and want so no longer feel the need to go back so more recently simply had Eporsch dial in the setting I wanted. 

I'm blissfully ignorant on this subject but I'm quietly plotting to take my car to CG at some point after getting new tyres. I won't know what to tell them but I'll be happy to pay for their expertise. I'll never get near the limits of the car's handling, I'm sure. But if the set up is optimised, I'll have the best chance of recovery from random events. I also find it interesting to learn from the wizards.

13 hours ago, McDonald said:

I'm blissfully ignorant on this subject but I'm quietly plotting to take my car to CG at some point after getting new tyres. I won't know what to tell them but I'll be happy to pay for their expertise. I'll never get near the limits of the car's handling, I'm sure. But if the set up is optimised, I'll have the best chance of recovery from random events. I also find it interesting to learn from the wizards.

My experience with them is that they ask you what you want from the geo, fast road, occasional track, full on track etc. They then drive your car, with you in the passenger seat, and describe what they see and what they can do. They then go back and undertake the geo. Therefore it's probably best you have an idea of what you want out of the work, if you can. They are extremely helpful, and knowledgeable, so just chat to them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

My experience with them is that they ask you what you want from the geo, fast road, occasional track, full on track etc. They then drive your car, with you in the passenger seat, and describe what they see and what they can do. They then go back and undertake the geo. Therefore it's probably best you have an idea of what you want out of the work, if you can. They are extremely helpful, and knowledgeable, so just chat to them. 

Thanks John. I will never take the car on track and I'm not brave enough to corner on the limits. I do drive quickly sometimes but don't compete with other road users. By reputation, CG are the best at what they do & it doesn't cost the earth. I'll probably go there in late Autumn and see what it's all about.

6 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Thanks John. I will never take the car on track and I'm not brave enough to corner on the limits. I do drive quickly sometimes but don't compete with other road users. By reputation, CG are the best at what they do & it doesn't cost the earth. I'll probably go there in late Autumn and see what it's all about.

As suggested above, a decent alignment to factory specs is probably all you need/want and so CG maybe overkill. They come into their own when you want something a bit "non standard."

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

I doubt you would gain much benefit to be honest. If the above is what you want I’d honestly suggest you find a recommended GEO in your local area who know what they are doing and as already suggested can set it up so it tracks true and it’s not wearing your tyres prematurely.

My visit was strictly to have the car set up on sticky tyres to drive around the Nurburgring as fast as I dared to, if that wasn’t the case I’d have been happy with a good local geo!

• Like 1

@McDonald - spend the money on a good handling course instead? You can throw your car around on the limit and find out what happens when you exceed it, without damage. Well worth it in my opinion. A few here organized one, who was it @rowbos?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

@McDonald - spend the money on a good handling course instead? You can throw your car around on the limit and find out what happens when you exceed it, without damage. Well worth it in my opinion. A few here organized one, who was it @rowbos?

CAT Driver training.  As recommended to me by Centre Gravity as it happens...

Brilliant day there.  I'd do it again!

https://catdrivertraining.co.uk

Edited by rowbos

55 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Thanks Meno, this is already on my radar. I think they run a three day course, which I'd like to try. I've always enjoyed driving and been doing it for 50 years but there's always room for improvement.