Admiral Car Insurance and SORN

Rooose

Wondering if anyone else has come across this?

I have a multicar policy with Admiral and spoke with them today to inform them I would SORN my Boxster at the end of the month. I was a little surprised at the reply - they said I couldn't do that and would have to cancel my insurance if I am to SORN it. They will not insure a SORN car.

To make matters a little more painful, taking 1 car off the multicar policy makes the overall insurance cost higher, plus they want a cancellation fee.

I have never had this response in the past with other insurers and I was wondering if I was talking to someone who just didn't have a clue or if others had experienced the same with Admiral.

Let me know if anyone else has found a way around this with Admiral.

You would be looking at "laid up" insurance. I did this a few years back when I was in the Ford scene and used a local insurer (who the owner claimed to have black S1 Turbo) so knew about laid up policies for the garage queens etc. 

it's a shame that big insurers want to charge a fee for anything other than speaking on the phone to them.... 

1 minute ago, Tony Daniel said:

If you require insurance cover the cheapest way is to keep your car taxed unfortunately.

It seems that is the case with Admiral. All I will say is LV amongst other insurers I have had over the years have had no problems with SORNing the car.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rooose said:

It seems that is the case with Admiral. All I will say is LV amongst other insurers I have had over the years have had no problems with SORNing the car.

Aviva too have no problem.

I used Admiral for a while but switched back to Aviva for a multicar as Admiral decided to charge steepish admin fees for any changes and always bumped up the premium a very high amount each year which they would then reduce when you got better quotes. Common tactic I know but I found Admiral an annoying company to deal with.

Being honest, i wouldn’t have even thought to tell the insurer. Surely the risk on the road of accident is as good as zero being parked up. Plus the cover is comprehensive which covers fire & theft too…. So long as it’s parked where you tell them it is overnight usually, I wouldn’t have even thought twice. The world is mad (or money grabbing!)

28 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Being honest, i wouldn’t have even thought to tell the insurer. Surely the risk on the road of accident is as good as zero being parked up. Plus the cover is comprehensive which covers fire & theft too…. So long as it’s parked where you tell them it is overnight usually, I wouldn’t have even thought twice. The world is mad (or money grabbing!)

Don't tell them and SORN it, then your cover will be invalid. I'd imagine it would be one of the first things they would check in the event of a claim and a get out of jail free card for them.

9 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Don't tell them and SORN it, then your cover will be invalid. I'd imagine it would be one of the first things they would check in the event of a claim and a get out of jail free card for them.

THIS ^^^

As far as I can tell this is the norm.  I didn't realise this.  It's crazy if you only want to drive it in the summer.  Oh well, I won't be telling them, I will also make sure its not drivable when SORN, then no one can steal it and insurance won't matter.

It's definitely the norm for Admiral it would seem. Not so for many other insurers I have used in the past.

I am going to have another go with Admiral and see if a different person can be a little more helpful. I mean, surely keeping a car tucked away in a garage and not being driven on the roads lowers their risk considerably? Not sure it makes any difference to them but will try and put my point across.

Sadly, I think it will be a case of 'computer says no'!

It is complete nonsense.  So how do I tax my car without an MOT, you can't.  So even though you are allowed to drive a car without an MOT to its MOT test, the insurance I have will be invalid because its not taxed and I can't tax it without an MOT.  So my legal option is to have it put on a flatbed to go (and I shyate you not) 30 second drive to the MOT centre.

F** it, i don't care much for this shyatety governments rules. my ex wrote her car off, didn't realise the MOT expired.  The insurance paid out and the authorities didn't give a t*ss.

Out of interest i got some sorn quotes, but what is the point if it's going to be unsorned in less than a year?

Adrian Flux
£54.80  (currently on a multi car policy for £170)
Total Excess
£100

Edited by Daboy3000

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Boxob said:

@Araf this is the SORN and insurance thread.

Thanks.  Good old Admiral group.  The only insurance company I have had to get the ombudsman involved with (found in my favour).

I don't think the SORN exclusion is exclusive to them but as with others it is a money spinning excuse to keep their headline yearly premium competitive. 

Thanks @Boxob :) 

I've just checked my 3 policies I have and not one mentions you have to have road tax, in either the policy documents or  schedule, Interestingly though it does say you have to inform them if you change occupation... Now there's a get out if I see one

I have always SORNd my sports car over the winter as we normally depart to warmer climes.

This had me worried, I read through my Saga policy book and it states nothing about SORN nullifying the insurance, so just rang them.

I was told it makes no difference to Saga if the car is SORN as long as I do not drive it on the road and it is kept in the locked garage I have stated on my policy, whilst under SORN. They also confirmed that in the event of fire or theft cover is fully in effect.

Glad I am not with Admiral.

Very recently I had an update from LV that advised you to keep your car insured if you SORN it, in case it is stolen, damaged by fire etc. So maybe they were putting a subliminal marketing message out there vs Admiral. This is on the LV site itself https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/how-to-declare-a-sorn 

Ok - so just an update on this to close my particular case off.

I went back to Admiral and requested they show me where in my policy documents it states they will not insure a car on SORN.

It turns out they can't and have agreed to insure the Boxster while it is SORN. An acceptable result in the end but so, so painful to get there. I won't be making the mistake of going with Admiral again!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

That does sound frustrating! It's unusual that Admiral won't allow you to SORN your Boxster without canceling your insurance.
Typically, insurers should offer a SORN insurance option for vehicles that won't be used on the road.
It might be worth double-checking with Admiral to see if there's been a misunderstanding or if there's a specific policy restriction. If they still insist on canceling your insurance, you might consider looking into other insurers who offer such insurance cover for a smoother process.

Edited by Racenolest