Hand held fire extinguisher

Chigley

Has anyone fitted or has suggestions on where to fit a hand held fire extinguisher on a 987.1 without the BOSE equipment fitted. The frunk seems the logical place but I don't want to drill the bodywork for a permanent fitting.

1 hour ago, Chigley said:

Has anyone fitted or has suggestions on where to fit a hand held fire extinguisher on a 987.1 without the BOSE equipment fitted. The frunk seems the logical place but I don't want to drill the bodywork for a permanent fitting.

You want it within easy reach so I'd be looking for a spot inside the cabin. The seat mounts seem like the obvious place.

• Like 1

Most cars that have any sort of fire that takes the time for you to detect and then get at an extinguisher, and then put out, if you are able to with a small handheld extinguisher, are still a total loss unless you are going to be able to undertake a full restoration.... Do Boxster catch fire much??

Might be a tin foil hat wearer here but I have carried a fire extinguisher a seat belt cutter and a “life hammer” (to smash windows) in my cars for the last 20 years.  The extinguisher lives in the boot but I would like to get a generic mount for in front of the seat of it didn’t get in my way. 

partly because of wearing tinfoil head gear, partly because of marshalling at race tracks for a few years and feeling lost without “tools” and partly because as a kid I watched my dad get someone out from a car they were trapped in following a crash that was starting to burn. His only tools were a penknife for the belt, a Jack handle for the window and a huge pair of kahunas.  

Hope I never have to emulate it, and if I do hope I have the guts and presence of mind to make a difference but at least I am going equipped.  

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 3

To show you how rare fire is even in motorsport, I marshalled at Silverstone primarily but at other circuits and on rallies too over a period of 15 years from 1988 and doing 45 to 60 days duty a year.  I only ever put out one  real, as opposed to training, fire on a truck turbo at the truck GP at Silverstone which has a small leak from an oil line.

23 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Most cars that have any sort of fire that takes the time for you to detect and then get at an extinguisher, and then put out, if you are able to with a small handheld extinguisher, are still a total loss unless you are going to be able to undertake a full restoration.... Do Boxster catch fire much??

It's more peace of mind as against trying to extinguish a Boxster fire. Lets face it unless it is an accessible electrical fire you're not going to get to the engine bay or anything fuel related in a hurry. However it could save someone else and I'd hate to be stood by helplessly when a hand held extinguisher could make a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chigley said:

It's more peace of mind as against trying to extinguish a Boxster fire. Lets face it unless it is an accessible electrical fire you're not going to get to the engine bay or anything fuel related in a hurry. However it could save someone else and I'd hate to be stood by helplessly when a hand held extinguisher could make a difference.

I'll refer you to my later post on my fire marshalling experience.  To 'save' someone you'd really need a 20kg dry powder extinguisher to knock down the flames, a small hand held will not have the power, or volume of powder to do that effectively, although I appreciate your comment about not being able to stand by.  

Used to work for the railways and because of what I did was Fire Trained across all the then available extinguishers and fuel types.

The first few 1sq m 5cm deep trays with some petrol being set alight and then learning to extinguish that are almost life lessons and gave me a very healthy respect for fire. The kick from the Railway specced extinguishers is etched in my mind and was like shotgun recoil.

Some years later I drove into a service station on the M6 and saw a car with smoke billowing from the grill, a bunch of folk standing too close with an array of extinguishers all doing nothing.

Fortunately I knew what to do and grabbed the largest suitable extinguisher, then the next and those two put the fire out. Clearly it hadn't really got hold but no doubt it was well on its way.

Why post this?  

Well it's great to have the gear but in this instance bloody dangerous to have no idea - open the lid and see what happens to the fire with the inrush of air. Appreciate that’s almost impossible with a Boxster but if you’re thinking about doing the same for a front or rear engined car please think again…

So by all means purchase whichever extinguisher you feel best suits your needs but more importantly learn how to use it and practise setting it off once in a while - then buy a replacement...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, map said:

Used to work for the railways and because of what I did was Fire Trained across all the then available extinguishers and fuel types.

The first few 1sq m 5cm deep trays with some petrol being set alight and then learning to extinguish that are almost life lessons and gave me a very healthy respect for fire. The kick from the Railway specced extinguishers is etched in my mind and was like shotgun recoil.

Some years later I drove into a service station on the M6 and saw a car with smoke billowing from the grill, a bunch of folk standing too close with an array of extinguishers all doing nothing.

Fortunately I knew what to do and grabbed the largest suitable extinguisher, then the next and those two put the fire out. Clearly it hadn't really got hold but no doubt it was well on its way.

Why post this?  

Well it's great to have the gear but in this instance bloody dangerous to have no idea - open the lid and see what happens to the fire with the inrush of air. Appreciate that’s almost impossible with a Boxster but if you’re thinking about doing the same for a front or rear engined car please think again…

So by all means purchase whichever extinguisher you feel best suits your needs but more importantly learn how to use it and practise setting it off once in a while - then buy a replacement...

I think that is supposed to be one of the USPs of the "Firestick" extinguishers. You basically set them off, chuck them in, and stand back (ie. no bravery/skill required). If a Boxster was on fire, I think you could probably slide one under the engine (from below) and hope for the best

I'll try to steer this topic back on course. I asked where in a Boxster you would fit an extinguisher not if I knew what an extinguisher was, how to use it or how effective it would be. Having spent over 25 years of my youth in the RAF handling aircraft operations at the sharp end I have dealt with my fair share of aircraft fires both for real and in training scenarios. Then spent another 17 years as a race marshal rising up to Exam Post Chief around every circuit south of the Scottish border and in the Middle East, I know how to and when not to use an extinguisher and also which type of agent to tackle different fuel mediums with. I was light heartedly asking where folks have mounted an extinguisher in a Boxster not for a lecture on whether they are useful or how to use them. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chigley said:

I'll try to steer this topic back on course. I asked where in a Boxster you would fit an extinguisher not if I knew what an extinguisher was, how to use it or how effective it would be. Having spent over 25 years of my youth in the RAF handling aircraft operations at the sharp end I have dealt with my fair share of aircraft fires both for real and in training scenarios. Then spent another 17 years as a race marshal rising up to Exam Post Chief around every circuit south of the Scottish border and in the Middle East, I know how to and when not to use an extinguisher and also which type of agent to tackle different fuel mediums with. I was light heartedly asking where folks have mounted an extinguisher in a Boxster not for a lecture on whether they are useful or how to use them. 

Looks like you can get something called a Fire Extinguisher Seat Cup.

I'd suggest call an OPC parts dept and ask re pricing (it will be cheaper) and fitment, looks like it needs a bracket too.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13352/Seat-Cup-Porsche-987-Boxster----Cayman---997/

Edited by iborguk

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Looks like you can get something called a Fire Extinguisher Seat Cup.

I'd suggest call an OPC parts dept and ask re pricing (it will be cheaper) and fitment

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13352/Seat-Cup-Porsche-987-Boxster----Cayman---997/

Based on that you'd be into well over £200 on parts (bracket, cup , retaining strap) before buying an extinguisher that would fit in it!

@Chigley your experience and service is noted and service appreciated, however the above does seem a lot for peace of mind.  The short answer seems to be no-one has fitted an extinguisher to a Boxster cabin.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Based on that you'd be into well over £200 on parts (bracket, cup , retaining strap) before buying an extinguisher that would fit in it!

@Chigley your experience and service is noted and service appreciated, however the above does seem a lot for peace of mind.  The short answer seems to be no-one has fitted an extinguisher to a Boxster cabin.

Yes Porsche tax, personally I'd want an extinguisher to be within easy reach and that's not a bad fitment.

And I was trying to be helpful by saying, instead of a large mass conventional fire extinguisher that needs an expensive bracket to stop it flying around inside the cabin, why not have a much smaller firestick ? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, iborguk said:

Or for £20 stick this in the glove box

I have the same Pingi dehumidifiers :)

I once put out a fire on a System-Porsche engine with zero knowledge and a bucket of water. The fuel line had fractured.

In the past I have simply cable-tied to the front of the passenger seat.

GT3 in clubsport spec has a fire extinguisher in the passenger foot well, with a 'bespoke' bracket; if you want the part number I can get it.

its rechargeable - £286+VAT

new one is £292 +VAT

I need to get one bought, as I used mine on the kitchen fire....