Which tyres🤔🤔

Wigs

My rear tyres are down to 3mm, they are 9000 miles old Goodyear Eagle F1 265/35/19, what are your thoughts on how quickly they have worn etc as these were my first set of tyres I’ve put on the Boxster (I don’t drive like a madman but spirited yes👍) What would be your recommendations for my next set  of tyre’s  for grip and durability etc??

Edited by Wigs

I’ve just replaced the fronts on my 981 at 20,000 miles and I replaced the rears at 17,000 back in June. They were the original tyres, five years old and the same as what’s fitted to yours so I reckon your right foot is heavier than you think😀
I find the Goodyears a really good tyre for my style of driving. 

Edited by bandit_287

6 hours ago, Wigs said:

Don’t think I can have any excuses to be honest🤣🤣

Can’t fault the Kuhmo ecsta at the price point , grip is outstanding in wet or dry, just a tad soft, so wear quite quickly 

Only had PS2’s previously (987.2/997) and they are good, but seem to go off after 3 years? Plus aren’t so great when it’s really cold.

Kumho’s are excellent (987.1) also had the winter version, if I remember the M/S are slightly narrower.

New Pirelli’s on a 996 - nope

Currently have Goodyear F1 which are a brilliant all rounder even around the lower temperatures/wet.

I get the Michelin thing but don’t think it is the only option.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, Wigs said:

What would be your recommendations for my next set  of tyre’s  for grip and durability etc??

If you want both grip and durability, cough up for the Michelins. Not sure anyone else has a reputation for both.  For grip with less durability, most of the others mentioned here, including the Goodyears.

And as I said on another thread - try driving forwards rather than sideways, they last longer :) 

Edited by Menoporsche
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If you want both grip and durability, cough up for the Michelins. Not sure anyone else has a reputation for both.  For grip with less durability, most of the others mentioned here, including the Goodyears.

Wot 'e said ^^^^^^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...

Rear tyre wear is generally caused by increased Toe on the rear compared to front. Some people believe it's the driven wheels causing the wear. I don't agree. If the rear tyres are pointing towards centre of car they will be scrubbing constantly. That's gonna wear them out. You could get your Geo adjusted to have less rear toe. It might make the car a little less stable but it should definitely reduce wear.