Two hoodies slashed my hood

driving_james

Woke up this morning to find my 987's hood had been slashed.

Neighbours reported two hoodies lingering nearby very early this morning.

Summer is nearly here so I am going to have to get it replaced and fast!

I've seen BAS gets good feedback. My only challenge is they are in South Wales and I'm in London!

Can anyone suggest anyone closer to home - that do a proper job?

Wondering if I should I give Hatfield OPC a call, but I suspect an arm and a leg might be involved...

E157A304-5B4A-4A1E-B061-402CFEDB8E81_1_2

• Sad 2

Wow. Possibly first time in 12 years I've seen that reported on here. Bad luck.

Carhood Warehouse are/used to be in Chessington, forum sponsor and they get good reviews. Most of the time it's 986 that get new hoods, so not sure what the price is for a 987.  Or you can try a breaker like 9Apart or Steve Strange, if you can handle to fit it yourself.

Good luck.

Christ that is brutal, feel for you. Absolute scum and the most annoying thing is even if they were detained whilst doing it a slap on the wrist would be the only punishment.

Are you going to foot the bill yourself?

As Meno says, a search around the breakers may turn out to be lucky.

Do report it to the police. Others may have had damage to their vehicles and it'll help build a picture. Might even help catch the culprits!

Hope you get it fixed without too much hassle.

Edited by Boxob

Gutted and annoyed for you.

Looks like you need the roof cover and the headliner at a min there.

If you go the OPC route I think you'll be looking at about 3 - 3.5k for bits before labour.

BAS do seem to get a good rep,I'd use as an excuse for a visit on a good roof down day.

https://www.car-hood.co.uk/987-boxster-h812

I'd get some pics of the damage shown from both the outside and inside to some outfits and see what quotes you get back.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Edited by iborguk

Absolute bas***ds....... imagine for one minute it was raining overnight... interior gets soaked, including under-seat ecu... all of a sudden you're talking thousands of pounds and possible right off due to repair value versus car value............!!!

I had an E36 M3 cab vandalised quite a few years ago by some scrotes using a baseball bat and full milk bottles ( I kid you not ) ...cost thousands in insurance .

Gutted for you and hope you get sorted... defo get the police involved.

Si.

Does you car insurance cover vandalism ? 

If going the self-pay route I'd be tempted to get a 2nd hand complete roof , which should also address the headliner issue, you could always elect then to replace the roof cover (outer roof) later if you wanted a new one.

BAS are booked until August , I just called them. £1200 all in re roof fitting, they don't do the headliner - by all means check.

I had previously been recommended a couple of fitters my way(ish), no experience of them as I didn't end up needing to use them.

D S Thomsett (post code CB4 1UN) 01223 420622

P & M Taylor (post code CB25 0GH) 01638 741776

Edited by iborguk

Do you have a garage, for waterproofing purposes. Or do you want a cheap half cover to keep any rain out. 

There's been a discussion on here very recently for a dirt cheap one but I can't find it :( 

Maybe this thread ? I have the CabrioShield Premium 987 half-cover which I can recommend as breathable , another forum member talks about a breathable 987 full cover they are pleased with.

Edited by iborguk

No there were more contributions and they were about half covers, someone was recommending one for something like 20 quid?! Falls apart in 2 years but worth it at that price...

Or I've been licking toads again.... gotta kick that habit...

Just now, Menoporsche said:

No there were more contributions and they were about half covers, someone was recommending one for something like 20 quid?! Falls apart in 2 years but worth it at that price...

Or I've been licking toads again.... gotta kick that habit...

Ribbit.

2 hours ago, driving_james said:

Woke up this morning to find my 987's hood had been slashed.

Very sorry to read this. I've never understood vandalism. I understand ( not condone) joy-riding & theft as there's a thrill involved but simply destroying something is beyond my grasp. I hope the police take a keen interest & find the miscreants.

Oddly, neighbours are reporting the theft of mirror glass from a number of cars & vans in my area. Again, what's that about?

Gutted for you.

If insurance isn't an option, although most policies would include vandalism, you could try a salvage hood form Douglas Valley, Status Porsche, 9apart.  Seem to be about £600-700.

PORSCHE BOXSTER 987 CABRIOLET ROOF IN BLACK 2005 - 2008 YEAR | eBay

Would be with you tomorrow / Wednesday and two people can change one over in a couple of hours.

18 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Very sorry to read this. I've never understood vandalism. I understand ( not condone) joy-riding & theft as there's a thrill involved but simply destroying something is beyond my grasp. I hope the police take a keen interest & find the miscreants.

Oddly, neighbours are reporting the theft of mirror glass from a number of cars & vans in my area. Again, what's that about?

Unfortunately it usually comes down to one of boredom, envy or a 'soft' target.

24 minutes ago, McDonald said:

No idea if it's a fashion, but heated mirror glass can cost 300 quid IIRC. Wonder if they've hit on a nickable high value part.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Carhood Warehouse now in Sevenoaks.

https://www.carhood.com/contact-us/ 

I contacted them about replacing the hood on my 987.1 and they said they didn't do that model, can't remember exactly why but think it was something to do with the mechanics on that particular model. They gave me the contact number of someone based near me in Surrey but he never responded back to me.

I've contacted BAS in Wales and they quoted me about £1,200 for a new hood including fitting. I'm a bit worried they've misquoted now as that seems a lot cheaper than what other people on this thread have said it should cost!

1 minute ago, Richjf said:

I contacted them about replacing the hood on my 987.1 and they said they didn't do that model, can't remember exactly why but think it was something to do with the mechanics on that particular model. They gave me the contact number of someone based near me in Surrey but he never responded back to me.

I've contacted BAS in Wales and they quoted me about £1,200 for a new hood including fitting. I'm a bit worried they've misquoted now as that seems a lot cheaper than what other people on this thread have said it should cost!

£1196 (near enough to £1200) is what BAS quoted me this morning.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow. Possibly first time in 12 years I've seen that reported on here. Bad luck.

Carhood Warehouse are/used to be in Chessington, forum sponsor and they get good reviews. Most of the time it's 986 that get new hoods, so not sure what the price is for a 987.  Or you can try a breaker like 9Apart or Steve Strange, if you can handle to fit it yourself.

Good luck.

Thank you and yes I will give them a call