Two hoodies slashed my hood

driving_james

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Maybe this thread ? I have the CabrioShield Premium 987 half-cover which I can recommend as breathable , another forum member talks about a breathable 987 full cover they are pleased with.

Yes I also have a CabrioShield - just didn't put it on last night as I washed the car and wanted the doo to dry out...

53 minutes ago, driving_james said:

Ok but worried about premium hikes and constant "have you made a claim" questions whenever I hire a car or renew - but I will check my policy with Churchill

Claim or no claim, is that worth paying £00s of your own cash to sort when 2 little sods have done this?  You might find that claims are fairly well databased, up until the last year it mattered, I though I had a claim (no fault) in May 2014, turned out it was July...

Edited by ½cwt

@Simo_UK That's exactly the one, thanks!

@driving_james see if those ideas for cheap half-covers will work for you if you need something to keep weather out before you get a new one fitted.

Edit - OK you have cabrioshield already.

Edited by Menoporsche

1 hour ago, driving_james said:

Ok but worried about premium hikes and constant "have you made a claim" questions whenever I hire a car or renew - but I will check my policy with Churchill

@driving_james - Word of warning - if you even speak to your insurer and tell them what happened - they will log it as an information flag and it will stay on your record - we got caught out with this, even though we never made a claim as it wasn't worth it.

Little sh!ts - they need stringing up, but although the damage is bad, probably better that you didn't see it and confront them - could have been much worse

Edited by Mattman42

13 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

@driving_james - Word of warning - if you even speak to your insurer and tell them what happened - they will log it as an information flag and it will stay on your record - we got caught out with this, even though we never made a claim as it wasn't worth it.

Little sh!ts - they need stringing up, but although the damage is bad, probably better that you didn't see it and confront them - could have been much worse

Yes that happened to a friend of mine as well, ended up getting a price hike at renewal even though he hasn’t made a claim. So cheeky. 

2 hours ago, Hainesy said:

Yes that happened to a friend of mine as well, ended up getting a price hike at renewal even though he hasn’t made a claim. So cheeky. 

I'm with Churchil and thanks to @iborguk discovering this - here's what Churchill have say on vandalism (and I quote)

"If you make a claim for damage to your car that is a result of vandalism, which is damage caused by a malicious and deliberate act, you will not lose your No Claim Discount. These days it's almost impossible to protect your car from being vandalised. If you're a victim, our vandalism cover comes as standard and now preserves your no claim discount. And we won't just repair the damage; if you go to one of our recommended garages, we'll clean your car inside and out too. After all, it's not your fault if you're a victim - so why should you suffer twice?"

As Meno says, not losing your no claims does not necessarily mean there won't be a hike in premium. Another biker ran into the back of my bike couple of years back, his insurance dealt with everything and I did not pay a penny. Recorded as a "non fault" on my part, however both my car and bike premiums went up.

Didn't go up by a great deal, so let Churchill sort it out and get OEM replacements.

6 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Give me a shout OP if you want me to sort 

Paul

That's decent of you ,👍

Scum bags. Hopefully they meet a v nasty end one day soon! No CCTV from neighbours or dashcams?

I’d claim on the insurance tbh. Yes, your premium will go up but not to the tune of £1200+ (or 3K OEM). Claim and get a new Porsche roof all fitted and working as it should. 

I think 3k is optimistic for genuine.  My gut says 4K plus and surely the insurance company will simply declare “cat whatever” and wrote it off 

cars get written off for a dent on the wing …..

Edited by Paul P

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

My gut says 4K plus and surely the insurance company will simply declare “cat whatever” and wrote it off 

2 years ago yes. But now a 987.1 is worth 14k… ;) 

it’s a very good point though. 

Lol, the biggest breakers yard in W London is or was in Park Royal in the late 80s (when I was raiding it for car parts), pretty close to the Guinness factory.  Seems to be long gone now, according to Google satellite view.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Lol, the biggest breakers yard in W London is or was in Park Royal in the late 80s (when I was raiding it for car parts), pretty close to the Guinness factory.  Seems to be long gone now, according to Google satellite view.

The value of the land makes redevelopment almost inevitable these days. And it's a brownfield site, so easy to get planning permission.

Yup, guessed that. I just can’t remember precisely where it was so I can’t work out what’s there instead. The soil must have been pretty contaminated though. 

Re the suggestion, I’m wondering whether a used roof or a retrim would be cheaper.