Opinions? Is this an easy fix or a potential moneypit?

RedBarediver

A mate of mine is toying with the idea of a Boxster. I took him for a drive in mine with the roof down last week and he was pleasantly surprised. Mine is only a 2.5 so obviously he's considering a 3.2.

I ran across this one on AutoTrader and it looks nice for a low price (considering it's a 3.2) BUT... I find it hard to believe that the guy selling it doesn't know if the car has a serious issue or not. "Selling my father-in-law's car because he bought something else and can't be bothered" is right up there in terms of being believable and a sign of a trustworthy seller with "I found an old watch in my granddad's estate. It says Rolex and I don't know if it's worth anything...."

I'd love to hear if anyone else thinks this is a good buy, or a case of Run Fast, Run Far..

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204265060389?sort=price-asc&postcode=bn84fn&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&year-to=2022&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=Boxster&make=Porsche&page=2

4 minutes ago, mike597 said:

If I was a gambling man I'd guess abs sensor failure. I'm not so I'd want to get a durametric on it though to be sure. 

Good point. It might be worth getting it inspected by a knowledgeable guy. My gut feeling is that it COULD be a cheap easy fix but I'm very hesitant.

41 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I'd love to hear if anyone else thinks this is a good buy, or a case of Run Fast, Run Far..

Looks like quite a nice car in the photos, with decent history, and the price is pretty good as well.  However, it would be a good idea for him to keep a couple of grand in a contingency fund to sort out those warning light issues plus any other "unforeseen" costs in the first year.  I know from personal experience that the bills can soon spiral out of control on an older Porsche (my previous 2007 987 Boxster cost me £4K in the first couple of months ownership...).  If your mate is handy with the spanners that will help a lot, obviously.

Personally, I think only looking at the 3.2 is daft, and he would get just as much enjoyment from the smaller engine on British roads, but that's just me I guess.

• Like 2

Thats been around for a while - and no matter what the ad says - its being sold under a trade business so he'll have to suck up some SOGA responsibilities etc.

And if he's in the trade, no doubt he would have tried to fix it and found it to be expensive, hence selling it on. It would be a pass from me

35 minutes ago, map said:

Er the mismatched wheels front to rear are ringing alarm bells - for me at least.

Eyes wide open on this one or just move along and look for another. 

are they 18's on the front and 17's on the back, or is that my eye sight?

50 minutes ago, map said:

Er the mismatched wheels front to rear are ringing alarm bells - for me at least.

14 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

are they 18's on the front and 17's on the back, or is that my eye sight?

They are different designs…

27 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Thats been around for a while - and no matter what the ad says - its being sold under a trade business so he'll have to suck up some SOGA responsibilities etc.

And if he's in the trade, no doubt he would have tried to fix it and found it to be expensive, hence selling it on. It would be a pass from me

That is my gut feeling too. My experience is that anyone who owns these cars have a very good idea whether or not something will be an easy or expensive fix. Hence my comment about "I found a Rolex in my granddad's stuff and I'm selling it even though I have no idea what it's worth..." Sellers like this tend to want to lure you in with the idea that you're getting a bargain. In my experience there are very few bargains to be had when it comes to a 20 year old Porsche...

• Like 1

Something looks wrong with Boxster S on the back, I think the gap between them is too wide.

Don't like "Village Motors" then "my father in law is selling".

Agree when a dealer is selling a car with error messages that does NOT suggest it's an easy fix.

Eyes wide open.

It's also failed its MOT 8 times - including no less than three (separate) times for tyres below the legal limit! The very first time the car was taken for an MOT - at just 3 years old - it had illegal tyres 😲 . So I'd say its 5 owners don't seem to have been particularly careful ones ...

2 hours ago, Jon61 said:

It's also failed its MOT 8 times - including no less than three (separate) times for tyres below the legal limit! The very first time the car was taken for an MOT - at just 3 years old - it had illegal tyres 😲 . So I'd say its 5 owners don't seem to have been particularly careful ones ...

Sometimes to keep with ministry targets and profiles , even though the punter has booked it in for say two new rear tyres ( or what ever ) the garages fails it first then fits the rubber then retests for free .Well configures a fresh MOT on the key board .

If he s legitimately passing a too high % compared with those near he will get grief .

The guy could be the most honest and conscious tester known to man btw .Just in a nice area with higher than Ave demographics of good punters with good cars .

So welcomes “ new tyres + service ( fresh oil + filter ) + MOT please “ by a local who’s used him for years .

Any how back on topic .Leave it .Plenty about and as mentioned disregard engine size .Buy on history- condition, originality.

42 minutes ago, Boxer boy said:

Sometimes to keep with ministry targets and profiles , even though the punter has booked it in for say two new rear tyres ( or what ever ) the garages fails it first then fits the rubber then retests for free .

Off topic again briefly, though I think the OP has got the opinions he asked for ...

I have heard people claim that MOT testers sometimes find a reason to fail cars 'to avoid too high a pass rate' - but I've never heard of the situation you describe, and I'm not sure I believe it - if I took my car to have new tyres (say) and then an MOT test, and they failed it first on the tyres, I'd be livid (to have a MOT fail on the car's record) and would be complaining to the DVSA about the test station.

• Like 1

It could be an easy fix, for example I fitted some LED rear clusters and had all of those errors pop up because the facelift variants are canbus. popped the old ones back and everything was normal, didn't even have codes to clear.

I don't know, but could the after market head unit cause canbus errors? I think it could as the PCM talks to my orginal head unit. 

3 hours ago, Jon61 said:

Off topic again briefly, though I think the OP has got the opinions he asked for ...

I have heard people claim that MOT testers sometimes find a reason to fail cars 'to avoid too high a pass rate' - but I've never heard of the situation you describe, and I'm not sure I believe it - if I took my car to have new tyres (say) and then an MOT test, and they failed it first on the tyres, I'd be livid (to have a MOT fail on the car's record) and would be complaining to the DVSA about the test station.

You don’t know .Drop it off with the instructions on your way to work .Collect it 5 .30  “ all done Sir the MOTs in the car along with a stamp on the book “ 

If you later sound off “ it’s an admin error Sir “ The system fob off .” Tyres didn’t arrive until 4,30 , we did the Mot / service earlier waiting Sir “ 

Why be angry any one can see why on the history what’s happened .It failed with tyres then passed immediately.

Any prospective purchasers will see the tyre invoice + the milage + eye ball the boots .

You want to see fails and the invoices to fix is corroded brake pipes , ballooning brake pipes = bills for re newing .

A 10y + car with a 100 % pass rate and only lub changes in the thin folder is a no no , because in a pass the parcel kids game kinda way there’s a lot of deferred maintenance.ie 10 y old tyres .

Edited by Boxer boy

Thanks all. I agree, this one is a definite pass. My buddy is still uhming and aahing over whether or not he will definitely get one. I think the Mrs may have gotten to him. Poor bugger...

On a brighter note I spent a few hours driving the Boxster around today - even got 29.4 mpg. What a fun little car it is.