981 owners - Where do you keep your phone...?

Davey P

I've got a magnetic holder for my phone (the one that uses a thin metal plate stuck inside the phone case) and I'm happy with how it works, but not so happy with the position of the phone, and the routing of the charging cable.  I was wondering if anyone on here had a better solution?  At the moment it looks like this:

20210619_202704

I want to keep the magnetic method, but I'd rather not have the phone in front of the air vent.  Also, the left hand lower corner of the screen is hidden, so I have to move my head over to see the speed limit when using Waze, and that's getting quite annoying... When the charging cable is connected, I run it over the top of the steering wheel cowling and into the glovebox power point, which again is quite annoying.  I want to get a longer cable and route it out of sight, probably into the other power socket in the centre armrest, and maybe mount the phone on the lower right side of the windscreen, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has come up with a better solution.

So... any ideas?

Cheers :thumbsup_anim:

I have a Brodit holder that fits on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. It's quite a neat installation, but trying to use a small touch-screen with my left hand in a shaking car while watching the road ahead is more than I can manage.  So my phone mostly stays in my pocket.

I've just acquired a new phone that doesn't fit the holder.  Brodit don't offer a holder for it, so the whole thing is going to have to come out.

No experience of them but others have liked Brodit kit, it comes in two parts, this is the clip then you choose a holder to go on it.

Maybe you could just put the self-adhesive variant of the Yoshi or similiar on it...still give you the magnetic grab 'n' go effect.

https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/Porsche/Cayman+(Type+981)/2021.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOSH-Magnetic-Universal-refrigerator-Cellphone/dp/B07DPHQQDD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=39MRPQAK83ZVR&keywords=Yoshi+self+adhesive&qid=1656596631&sprefix=yoshi+self+adhesive%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-3

Edited by iborguk

I have a Brodit in my 987. Not impressed TBH - it's not that stable, and keeps slipping down so I then hit it while changing gear (have learned to change gear with 3 fingers not full fist).  I would also prefer something which has wireless charging, as I have in my other car.

47 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I have a Brodit in my 987. Not impressed TBH - it's not that stable, and keeps slipping down so I then hit it while changing gear (have learned to change gear with 3 fingers not full fist).  I would also prefer something which has wireless charging, as I have in my other car.

Many variants, don't think the one I posted above is likely to slip if positioned by the gear stick but may not be a position  @DaveyP is after. 

Edited by iborguk

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I want to get a longer cable and route it out of sight, probably into the other power socket in the centre armrest, and maybe mount the phone on the lower right side of the windscreen, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has come up with a better solution.

This is what I’ve been doing. But Saturday I’m having Apple CarPlay fitted and my plan then is to house the phone in the centre armrest with a short power cable plugged into the socket if the phone needs a charge. Obviously then everything will come through the PCM system 👍

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

really? 

I have the brodit in my 987.2 and stuck a big magnet on it. The phone never moves (but mine is PDK) 

IMG_20191127_105741

• Like 1

Same setup for me in my 987.2, but using the brodit phone mount as well as the bracket - from memory there's a screw in the phone mount bit that you can tighten the ball / pivot if needed , but not had to do it, it never moves on its own.

I guess you could put any mount you want on the end of the arm - its essentially a flat plate so if a magnetic/wireless charger was a thing - then you could stick or screw it to the "arm".

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

I had a Brodit on my previous 987 Boxster, but I thought it was a bit big and intruded into the passenger side. Quite a stable mount, but not quite as elegant as I'd like. The 981 version just clips onto the centre console and the phone sits too horizontal for me (and too low down)

20 minutes ago, CMA said:

I use this, stuck to the dash to the left of the screen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scosche-MAGDMB-MagicMount-Magnetic-Devices/dp/B00I608BJ8

That one ^ looks pretty neat.  Any chance of posting a pic please @CMA so I can see what it looks like in situ?

I haven't seen anything else that floats my boat so far.  Maybe I'm just too picky...? :lol:

Here is mine. Magnetic holder grips a vent vane with a screw tightening adjustable crocodile clip. The magnet is on a ball and socket affair with a nut to turn to fix in the desired position. Best vent holder I have had, solid. Phone plugs into the  socket in glove box, very neat. Easy to see at a glance, and easy to adjust for glare. Not in the way. If you need to touch the screen you can brace your hand on top of the gear leaver. Halfords best!!!  A tenner, maybe fifteen quid. Very slightly obscures PCM screen, but no buttons or controls. I had this in my 987 for three years, happy. (must get a red or silver USB cable 🤣)

6GRlxVP.jpg

aLSdobl.jpg

17 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

Mine stays in my pocket... not helpful, I know. 😶

I empathise. If I could create a route in Google maps and use said route on the PCM my phone would stay in my pocket too. I suspect I may now be told how I can use something 'in car'  for that task but unless its as simple and cheap as eating chips it will not appeal. 😁

I realise my 986 is possibly a bit gangster for this thread but I use one of these…..

https://uk.mous.co/products/magsafe-compatible-charging-suction-mount?variant=39435434229817

….attached to the windscreen low down on the driver’s side. Doesn’t obscure the view or the vent, puts the phone close to the instrument binnacle and charges it.

Because I use an iPhone with the magnetic charging thingy it just holds the phone in place - even when enjoying some “focused pootling” along some less than pristine Yorkshire roads. 

16 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Thanks again for the replies.  I still haven't seen anything I like the look of yet, so the search continues......... :lol:

It is a tricky one, all solutions seem to have their particular drawbacks it seems to me.

10 minutes ago, map said:

I realise my 986 is possibly a bit gangster for this thread but I use one of these…..

https://uk.mous.co/products/magsafe-compatible-charging-suction-mount?variant=39435434229817

….attached to the windscreen low down on the driver’s side. Doesn’t obscure the view or the vent, puts the phone close to the instrument binnacle and charges it.

Because I use an iPhone with the magnetic charging thingy it just holds the phone in place - even when enjoying some “focused pootling” along some less than pristine Yorkshire roads. 

And we have a WINNER! :thumbsup_anim:

That is exactly what I was looking for, nice and simple, thanks very much mate.  I will order the same one, but without the wireless charger function as that's not compatible with my Samsung phone:

MagSafe_Compatible_Suction_Mount_4x4_Ren

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post their suggestions on here :thumbsup_anim: