Driving in Europe

Ringmaster999

The 987 has adjustment “tabs” in the headlights to centralise the beam for Europe.  Think some 986s had the same so I would expect at minimum this for the 981 

It probably depends on what lights you have but I would imagine it’s either physical or a menu driven adjustment.  

Suggest owners handbook as a first call to see what your options are 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Ok so I’m doing a five day road trip in Europe early September. What headlight adjustment is needed in the 981. Do you just put stick on deflectors straight onto the headlights. I’ve just got standard lights. 
Cheers

There's a section in the Good to Know app for this. As Paul mentioned you have to faff with the headlight to engage a couple of tabs. 

36 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Out of interest where are you going to do just 5 days? I am planning a trip next year with the assistance of a planning company. They have advised 7 days minimum. 

Short trip starting in Bournemouth as we are visiting that area from S Wales. Over on Channel Chunnel first night Bruge in Belgium. From there travel to Adenau where we are staying two nights. We will visit Cochem and lap the Nurburgring whilst in Adenau. Then travel to Monschau for the night before back via Chunnel ☀️😎👍

• Like 1

how much driving are you planning to do at night? and what type of lights do you have? 

last few trips i've done to europe i havent bothered changing anything on the headlights as firstly, we were never driving anywhere at night anyways, and secondly, the self leveling xenons the car had were very flat beam. it used to be only old halogens that had a noticable flick up to one side.

And to be honest, most cars these days have such high, bright headlights they look like they're on high beam when they arent anyways...

• Like 1

Make sure the stickers aren't going to affect the plastic lenses on the headlights. Anyhow, where do you put them on such sloped back lights?

Also reminds me I need to reset the tabs on my 986 lights from earlier in the month...

Enjoy the trip and The 'ring.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brillomaster said:

how much driving are you planning to do at night? and what type of lights do you have? 

last few trips i've done to europe i havent bothered changing anything on the headlights as firstly, we were never driving anywhere at night anyways, and secondly, the self leveling xenons the car had were very flat beam. it used to be only old halogens that had a noticable flick up to one side.

And to be honest, most cars these days have such high, bright headlights they look like they're on high beam when they arent anyways...

I’ve ridden in Europe many times on tours with the lads. But now it’s the time of life to share things with the Mrs. So this is a little tour to see how she gets on before taking on more adventures towards the Alps if she enjoys it. 
Yep we didn’t bother with headlight adjustment on the bikes but now since leaving the EU I just don’t want to be caught out. I’m not planning on any night time driving so might well just decide not to adjust them. Especially as our return will see me driving the final leg home in the dark hours and it’s a headlight out job to adjust. So it’s not what I’d want to be doing in the 20-30 mins of the crossing. 
I’ll see what the stickers are like when I pick them up from Halfords and yes I’m mindful of the possibility of them leaving some sort of residue. But they would be an easy remove on my return and if stopped by the European police at least it’s a visual sign I’ve taken the appropriate measures. 

Enjoy...

One thing I have noticed driving a Porsche in France is that people appreciate the car more - thumbs up, waves, etc. I've never had anything like that over here, just a couple of young teens telling me to "boot it".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember setting out for Spa in my Elise Sport 160, within minutes of being on the motorway up from Calais I had loads of waves and thumbs up from a group of bikers.  Similar responses at service stations, etc.  "elle est mignone eh?".   On the return journey within minutes of heading up the M20 from Folkestone I had a bunch of cretins show me the Nescafe shuffle and flicked a fag out the window at me.

Welcome to Britain.

Thankfully abuse was a very rare occasion with that car but the irony of the timing made me chuckle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

I remember setting out for Spa in my Elise Sport 160, within minutes of being on the motorway up from Calais I had loads of waves and thumbs up from a group of bikers.  Similar responses at service stations, etc.  "elle est mignone eh?".   On the return journey within minutes of heading up the M20 from Folkestone I had a bunch of cretins show me the Nescafe shuffle and flicked a fag out the window at me.

Welcome to Britain.

Thankfully abuse was a very rare occasion with that car but the irony of the timing made me chuckle.

So what you are saying is that the French are nicer people than the English, that is going to go down well on here😏

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Terryg said:

So what you are saying is that the French are nicer people than the English, that is going to go down well on here😏

More appreciative of a nice car  nicer. 

However, most French I know personally (very small sample) are quite amiable and rank higher than many Brits I know (a lot larger sample).

The first time in a Boxster to France, on a  hot day, hood down, I stopped  on a narrow  lane alongside a small river as a group of young people emerged  onto the road from the river. A tall, feline  young woman with long wet hair, in a bikini top and tight cut down denin shorts did an air stroke of my front wing and seeing the plate hissed " misssster you haaaave a beautiful car"   I stalled the Box, then nearly drove off the road a few moments latter as my gaze lingered to long in the never more appropriately named rear view mirror. Mrs Topbox never said a word !

Edited by Topbox
  • Haha 4

Have a great trip.
I have not taken a car abroad since Brexit and do wonder if insurance has changed. Around the time we left Europe, I can remember a policy I had suggesting a change for mainland Europe, breaking it down into zones. Might be worth checking in advance. 

• Thanks 1