High miles, would you?

718as

It only 10k a year which is well below the 'normal' average (Yes I know that is a statistical contradiction). 986s and 987s don't melt at 100k miles and there are many 986, 987 over 150k miles and several 981s too.  Going by the older models, it is lack of use that can hurt them, not keeping rubbers flexing, bearings moving and oil circulating.

for some reason, there still seems to be a drop in value at 100k - but mainly when you are selling to the trade, when the trade are selling, strangely its not a problem

Question is how long do you intend to keep the car - if its only another 12-18mths and you are nearing 100k, might be a good time to sell - if you are planning to keep it for many years - no problem at all

I’ve got a 986 with 160k on it, so am well aware of how well they take the miles, but they all look very strong money for a car you’ll struggle to sell on. The cayman which has 155k and is cat N and they still want £20k🤣

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

for some reason, there still seems to be a drop in value at 100k - but mainly when you are selling to the trade, when the trade are selling, strangely its not a problem

Question is how long do you intend to keep the car - if its only another 12-18mths and you are nearing 100k, might be a good time to sell - if you are planning to keep it for many years - no problem at all

The 100k is a psychological figure for both buyers and sellers, to the car it is just another number.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The 100k is a psychological figure for both buyers and sellers, to the car it is just another number.

Are euro cars in Kilometeres the same at 100k? I suspect not as its only 62,000 miles. Deffo a thing in the mind.

• Like 1

In fairness, it was not so long ago that many cars would be pretty dead at around 100k. So it could be that we are programmed to be wary around then. I agree that the nice round number works for me in miles but not in km; so many cars could hit 100k km, no need to worry, and 160k just seems a bit random. 

Have to ask my colleagues if there is a magic number in km. 

My family Toyota is on 205k km :) but as it’s a polluting diesel I don’t consider it much for resale anyway. 

Edited by Menoporsche

I used to be all for low miles / low owners / super fussy, which will always be more valuable and easy to shift on of course.

But my current fleet is:

Family wagon - 146K Passat estate - sport diesel dsg. Great car has only needed (diy) rear springs and an abs sensor in three years, hope to run into the ground.

B20-B6407-DFFB-4-DE4-96-EA-527-F83-F0-A1

Hobby - 175k 996 C2 manual coupe - On its second engine (from OPC in earlier life) of course. Must sort a running report as done lots to this… 

714-E50-D9-EFD8-4417-8-EFB-C0-C2-DF9-A3-

Both really well serviced and cheap initially.

Of course now I’ve said it they’ll both probably explode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Everything has a design life.

Had this conversation many times with pumps, electric motors etc. particularly when there is a set.

Funniest when an irate customer starts whinging/complaining and we pull the maintenance records and highlight when we have told them to order replacements and they have declined. 

What the design life is on a MODERN Porsche is for each individual to determine. There is little doubt that they could be kept running but at what cost.

Personally I choose the best example I can find but BEST can be a touch tricky to determine and mileage is but one factor on a 2nd hand car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 718as said:

Porscheshailed by car enthusiasts for their excellent German-engineered craftsmanshipare known for their long-term reliability and ability to perform well over time. In general, a Porsche can last at least 100,000 miles and about 9 years.

How Long Do Porsches Last? | GetJerry.com

Porsche warrant for 125k over 15 years so I would say your figure is a little conservative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Araf said:

Porsche warrant for 125k over 15 years so I would say your figure is a little conservative.

To be fair, it did say "at least" 100,000 miles, so that number could be higher.  I'm more worried about the quoted "9 years" - So, I've only got one more year in the Cayman before it explodes then? :lol:

• Haha 1

On Porsche website

How Many Miles Will a Porsche 911 Last? | Porsche West Palm Beach

Porsche 911 engine mileage can be rated at 100,000 miles and 10 years. Like any vehicle, Porsche 911s last longer with proper and routine maintenance and care. Most Porsche vehicles will last you up to the 150,000-mile marker and beyond. As always with any vehicle the average life of the car depends massively on factors like driving habits and service history. 

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Porsche quote 70% of the cars they've made are still on the road.

If that's true that's a pretty good number.

They do but I have a very strong suspicion that most of them are Cayennes in China, which is actually not so impressive.

You'd need to go into annual worldwide production numbers over 60 years to check that is what it seems, and my guess is it's leaning hard on the facts from one direction.  Happy to be proved wrong.

The other point is, expensive cars stay on the road longer as there is value in repairing them. When I mentioned my Dad scrapped his Mondeo at 10 years old, the reply was "yes, because it's a Mondeo".

Edited by Menoporsche

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

They do but I have a very strong suspicion that most of them are Cayennes in China, which is actually not so impressive.

You'd need to go into annual worldwide production numbers over 60 years to check that is what it seems, and my guess is it's leaning hard on the facts from one direction.  Happy to be proved wrong.

Yup , I've no idea how they come to that number and if it's right.

All I can go on is my eyes and there's a fair number of Pork of all ages still running about, maybe part of that is the passion some have for keeping them on the roads.

12 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Yup , I've no idea how they come to that number and if it's right.

All I can go on is my eyes and there's a fair number of Pork of all ages still running about, maybe part of that is the passion some have for keeping them on the roads.

there may be that many, how many of those are still on their original engines without a major failure/rebuild/replacement at some point?